Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How refreshing and promising to see so many players in their early 20s getting through the draw. Success of the The Big Four has rendered the "next-gen" useless - but now the "next-next-gen" is stepping up... I know Novak will still probably win the whole thing, but hopefully this is a permanent shift.

Tsitsipas, Tiafoe, Zverev, Medvedev, Coric :yeah:

Add Shap, Khachanov, Kyrgios, Chung, de Minaur etc.
Enough of players peaking in their mid-30s.
That goes for WTA as well :hatoff:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
How refreshing and promising to see so many players in their early 20s getting through the draw. Success of the The Big Four has rendered the "next-gen" useless - but now the "next-next-gen" is stepping up... I know Novak will still probably win the whole thing, but hopefully this is a permanent shift.

Enough of players peaking in their mid-30s.
That goes for WTA as well :hatoff:
Roger Federer dismisses 'changing of the guard' comment after Australian Open loss

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2019/01/20/australian-open-roger-federer-dismisses-comment-john-mcenroe/2630980002/

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
That is terrible journalism. Federer in no way dismisses the changing of the guard comment. What he says is that McEnroe has been saying the same thing for 10 years now, so it's nothing new. He in no way disagrees or agrees with McEnroe's comment.

"He's in front of the mic a lot,” Federer said of McEnroe. “He's always going to say stuff. I love John. I've heard that story the last 10 years. From that standpoint, nothing new there.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Let's not get carried away by Tsitsipas's yesterday's win over Federer since the only title Tsitsipas ever won was an ATP 250 (Stockholm) title.

In my opinion, when a player outside Big 3 wins multiple (not just one) grand slams in an ATP calendar year or when a player outside Big 3 defends a particular grand slam by winning it for two consecutive years, that is when we can start talking about the change of the guard.

Murray won 3 slams and was World No.1 at the end of 2016, and Wawrinka won 3 slams - Was there a change of the guard then?

del Potro and Cilic won a slam each - Do we consider it a change of the guard?

"Consistency" is the word. Let a player outside Big 3 start winning grand slams on a consistent basis, then we can talk about change of the guard. The Big 3 has swept the last 8 grand slams in the past two years, and two of the Big 3 are still in the tournament. The guard is still with the Big 3.

I think Rafa or Djokovic will win the Australian Open, and I rate Rafa's chances higher. I could go wrong, but that is my prediction.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Unless Tiafoe beats RAFA and Medvedev beats No1e not that much has changed to be honest.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes Rafa or Djoko are going to win but the next gen are starting to knock on the door

·
Registered
878 Posts
The last time 3 teenagers made the 3rd round in Melbourne was when Querrey, Murray and Djokovic did around a decade ago.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts

Tsitsipas, Tiafoe, Zverev, Medvedev, Coric

Add Shap, Khachanov, Kyrgios, Chung, de Minaur

This is it, only 4 players will make it. Not just now, when Big3 is still there at least at slams with full force, but overall.
Your rejoicing is out of place when Shapovalov, Kyrgios, Chung and Zverev went out with such humiliating defeats.
It just indicates that their form, their game and their current mindset are not up with the expectations we have and they should have to themselves.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
Unless Tiafoe beats RAFA and Medvedev beats No1e not that much has changed to be honest.
RAFA and No1e are some non-existing concepts though; since it explains completely why they cannot dominate the Tour as they did in their last such year, in 2013 and 2015.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Tsitsipas, Tiafoe, Zverev, Medvedev, Coric

Add Shap, Khachanov, Kyrgios, Chung, de Minaur

This is it, only 4 players will make it. Not just now, when Big3 is still there at least at slams with full force, but overall.
Your rejoicing is out of place when Shapovalov, Kyrgios, Chung and Zverev went out with such humiliating defeats.
It just indicates that their form, their game and their current mindset are not up with the expectations we have and they should have to themselves.
Agree although honestly i still think the 4 you didn't strike out have a fair bit to prove. sure a lot could change this week but until yesterday none of them had made a slam QF. Khachanov wouldn't be talked about if Isner closed their R2 in Paris and he's lost routinely to veterans Stan and RBA this year. Coric has done nothing in slams and was routined by Djokovic in his only really big career moment so far. Medvedev's ranking is primarily from winning tournaments nobody cares about. All great prospects but sure but people really get ahead of themselves.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
NextGen is going to take over very soon, maybe not yet this year, but at latest next year. The big difference to LostGen is that the expectations are distributed to at least a dozen players, who could win big tournaments in the near future, not only two or three.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
Agree although honestly i still think the 4 you didn't strike out have a fair bit to prove. sure a lot could change this week but until yesterday none of them had made a slam QF. Khachanov wouldn't be talked about if Isner closed their R2 in Paris and he's lost routinely to veterans Stan and RBA this year. Coric has done nothing in slams and was routined by Djokovic in his only really big career moment so far. Medvedev's ranking is primarily from winning tournaments nobody cares about. All great prospects but sure but people really get ahead of themselves.
Agree with all that, though wanted to state that the only real promise from all these players who will have a great career and could win a few slams are those 4 I listed. Even that potential needs to be unfolded and polished with the coming years; there is no guarantee that they will live up to their promise, but they hold this much potential, it feels.

Not more and not less, and this is fairly objective I think.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Then it'd be one lucky Tiafoe draw and a Tsitsi win over a 38 years old. And Coric who's struggling with Pouille but he's ok I like him.

Not a change of guard , deinitely but they surpassed GenLost in amount , that's it. Still even Nishi and Rao look more of candidates than them

1 - 20 of 25 Posts