Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing 'bold predictions' are a thing here, I figured why not make one of my own. Feels good to make it as a Rafa fan but I accept the possibility it might easily not age well. Guess I will rely on my sixth sense.

·
Registered
999 Posts
In 15-20 years someone will thrash the Slam record easily,
I believe there will be someone like Lewis Hamiltion or Floyd Mayweather to dominate the weak era with no decent opposition for 10-15 years.

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
In that case, the final count would be

Nadal- 23
Rosewall- 23
Djokovic- 22
Federer- 21
Laver- 19
Gonzales- 17
Tilden- 14
Sampras- 14

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe there will be someone like Lewis Hamiltion or Floyd Mayweather to dominate the weak era with no decent opposition for 10-15 years.
No such player in sight, not even close.

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
I think it will be closer to 50 years

10-20 years for someone to win 10 slams

30-50 years for someone to win 20 slams

Tennis is due for a "mug era" where a number of guys win 1-8 slams

·
Registered
351 Posts
Federer is done winning slams. Whenever people say he will, it's just the romanticism talking.

Nadal can only realistically win RG unless Djokovic gets knocked out in Wimbledon and the AO.

USO is a bit of a shitshow where I feel that anyone can potentially win it.

Everyone's been saying this for a while, but it does finally look like the gap is slowly closing, especially as Nadal and Djokovic get older.

I don't think the following is too unrealistic but it requires Djokovic dominating and not letting up for the next couple of years otherwise it might be too late with motivation/competition etc. This stuff is so hard to predict that I feel I'm being too generous, but the next couple of years are undoubtedly key for the both of them.

Djokovic: 23 (1 FO, 2 WIM, 2 AO, 1 USO)
Nadal: 22 (2 FO, 1 USO)
Federer: 20

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think it will be closer to 50 years

10-20 years for someone to win 10 slams

30-50 years for someone to win 20 slams

Tennis is due for a "mug era" where a number of guys win 1-8 slams
Not really. Men's tennis is a sport with a negative selection and is losing its prestige rapidly. Look, Kyrgios without proper preparation and training sessions can win Atp500 tournaments for fun. So if some really talented and dedicated athlete enters the sport then he will be able to dominate eat like fed 04-07 for like 10 years. Tennis is no football, basketball or boxing. It lacks world class talent badly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
In that case, the final count would be

Nadal- 23
Rosewall- 23
Djokovic- 22
Federer- 21
Laver- 19
Gonzales- 17
Tilden- 14
Sampras- 14
I know you're in love with the old-timers, but counting both pre-Open Era Amateur Slams AND Pro Tour titles as "Slams" is ridiculous.

Rosewall was winning Amateur Slams in 50's against nobodies, while the best players in the world at that time (Pancho Gonzales, Jack Kramer and Frank Sedgman, for example) were all playing in the Pro Tour.

That's like saying "let's count the Junior Grand Slam titles" for the current Pro players.

If we did, Monfils would have 3 slams, same as Murray and Wawrinka.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Federer is done winning slams. Whenever people say he will, it's just the romanticism talking.

Nadal can only realistically win RG unless Djokovic gets knocked out in Wimbledon and the AO.
Sorry but I will take Federer over Nadal at Wimbledon if Djokovic gets knocked out.

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
I just don't see Nadal winning 4 more slams.
Me too, esp. with his luck and recent results at AO. At WB he could still reach the final, but needs no Federer or Djokovic there to win, as they probably own his game on grass now.
That leaves only USO as a slam where he could still win outside of RG and that is heavily contested these days. Not really likely for Nadal to win 4 more.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Federer is done for sure.

If Nadal wins tomorrow then I can see him get 2 more. Maybe 2 more FO or 1 of each FO and USO. He has chance at Wimbledon if he doesn't face Djokovic and Federer.

Djokovic can surely win 5 more slams in next 2 years irrespective of what happens in the final tomorrow.

So Djokovic gets the lead.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Pretty bold since Fed is definitively done and Nadal/Djokovic will win more than that.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
Not really. Men's tennis is a sport with a negative selection and is losing its prestige rapidly. Look, Kyrgios without proper preparation and training sessions can win Atp500 tournaments for fun. So if some really talented and dedicated athlete enters the sport then he will be able to dominate eat like fed 04-07 for like 10 years. Tennis is no football, basketball or boxing. It lacks world class talent badly.
This shitposting gets 3 likes? Lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts