Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With one for the US Open, and with Roland Garros well and truly in the process of rolling one out, do you think the Australian Open has fallen behind with its primitive tin lid?

The strange thing is, Rod Laver Arena was the first to ever use a retractable roof, but now the fibre glass see through roofs - ones which let the light in, but the rain out, has indicated the future direction of stadiums

The question being for Rod Laver Arena is the Australian Open is the only tournament which gets affected by the heat rule because of the fiendish Australian summer, the argument from the folk of Melbourne is that "the sun is what causes the heat in the first place", closing the roof for the heat policy doesnt change anything if you can still see the sun.

Which is BS, because when the roof is closed, we use air conditioning :p

Time to move to the glass ceiling Melbourne, just like the others

EDIT - the only qualm about the glass ceiling was during the Federer / Murray Wimbledon final a few years ago when they did close the roof, and it rained heavily, the noise cancelling ability by the roof blocking out the rain was minimal. That is something the 'engineers' did not take into account for Wimbledon, and yes, it is Wimbledon, it has to be perfect, everyone who plays it has to wear white ffs

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The question being for Rod Laver Arena is the Australian Open is the only tournament which gets affected by the heat rule because of the fiendish Australian summer, the argument from the folk of Melbourne is that "the sun is what causes the heat in the first place", closing the roof for the heat policy doesnt change anything if you can still see the sun.

Which is BS, because when the roof is closed, we use air conditioning :p
Im not exactly a physicist, but I think when you let the sunlight through the glass roof, the wave still contains energy, thus increasing indoor temperature. So the organizer has some valid arguments there

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,681 Posts
There is nothing wrong with RLA's roof and no need to change it.
same thoughts so far. Of course no 'sunlight' but don't you close the roof for the two purposes of minimising heat or blocking the rain?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Rod Laver, Hisense and now Margaret Court arena are all multipurpose venues. At various times outside of the Australian Open, they are used for concerts, basketball, netball, and other random things. Would having a clear roof limit the hosting of other events and decrease the amount of $$$ they can make? I guess it probably would otherwise they would have put a clear roof on Margaret.
Rod Laver's roof when completed in 1988 was a world first of that roof design. It is kind of slow to close (20 minutes) but forgivable as it was the first of its kind :)
Hisense completed in 2000 is quicker. Taking 10 minutes to close
The newly roofed Margaret is apparently the fastest of its type of roof to close, taking 5 minutes :cool:

The venues are really quite versatile! :eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is nothing wrong with RLA's roof and no need to change it.
the thing is

When Roland Garros and Flushing Meadows get their clear roofs on, the Australian open will be the only one which still has the 'primitive' can lid design, and making the Australian Open seem like its played in a garden shed

If I was going to have even more vision, I recommend being able to operate the roof blocking out the light like blinds - if I want it to have light or not with the roof still being closed

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
the thing is

When Roland Garros and Flushing Meadows get their clear roofs on, the Australian open will be the only one which still has the 'primitive' can lid design, and making the Australian Open seem like its played in a garden shed

If I was going to have even more vision, I recommend being able to operate the roof blocking out the light like blinds - if I want it to have light or not with the roof still being closed
It would be pointless and a waste of money :shrug: The roofs function well during the Aus Open and throughout the year for all the other things they host.
Maybe one day they could speed up Rod Laver's roof closing speed, but pre-emptive closing before the rain arrives basically overcomes that disadvantage :)

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
A new sport is born: Bikram Tennis!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts