Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, we had 685 players ranked back then. Now, we have 679. Slowly the number will increase a bit this year, as Challengers have 48-player draws, but will decrease yet again at the end of 2019 when all M25 will be dropping out as well. Interesting times.

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Re: Less players ranked than October 23, 1978

It is a new world for sure my friend, curious as to your thoughts on the current massive social experiment about to occur in 2019?

·
23,064 Posts

It's fascinating that the cut is so deep, down to around a third of the total. I guess that makes it more special to actually earn an ATP point, although we may have fewer moments of journeymen having a late breakthrough. However having to actually go through a certain journey may make the climb there actually spectacular. They will literally separate the "men" (ATP) with the "boys" (ITF) which makes it the gap of what an amateur and a pro is much wider.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Good news. Professional sport is all about the best, so to have over 700 men being paid for playing tennis would be ridiculous. Should be around 300 actually.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts

FEWER players!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
Fewer players may be ranked by the ATP, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there will be less men playing GS/ATP/ITF tournaments this year.
There are also 3456 players ranked by the ITF from David Perez-Sanz to Kevin Portmann, an Italian player who has 1 ITF point and a W/L record in ITF qualifying of 6-31 last year. There were always many players who never achieved a world ranking but played in quite a few ITFs or players who played only one or two tournaments and got ranked.
I wasn't over keen on the changes to the rankings when they were announced and now that the new tennis-playing year has started and there seems to be a lot of confusion about the new rankings, entry acceptance into tournaments and such like I'm still not sure it was the right decision, the thing is this may well be an overall success in the long term. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

I can't speak for the players, but I think the new system looks to be very promising and good for professional tennis. So far I only see upside for players who are determined to play a lot and on a high level as possible. And we get rid of the (often times) pointless low-quality challenger qualies and a lot of shady matches. Being a challenger tour player now actually means something more and it's easier to determine who is one and who isn't.

Good news. Professional sport is all about the best, so to have over 700 men being paid for playing tennis would be ridiculous. Should be around 300 actually.
Depending on what counts as "being paid" 300 will probably be closer to the truth with this system. Will be interesting to see how much the #300 ranked player at the end of this year made.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It is a new world for sure my friend, curious as to your thoughts on the current massive social experiment about to occur in 2019?
Wouldn't call it a social experiment, but rather the product of a major disagreement between ITF and ATP taking place in 2016. It may end up to be a good thing, as now the stages of a professional career are more evident. ITF Rankings seem to reflect the low tier performances better than ATP Rankings ever could. Also, the ATP always had a problem with low level points being too many, it is why the 2009 system gave so few points to them compared to the least valued challenger. This problem is now gone forever, the difference between low tier and Challenger levels now reaching the gap of the Grand Canyon.

@Rob & Stephen: I was correcting the OP's English ("fewer" rather than "less" players) :)
Corrected. Thanks, I was probably a bit drunk...

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts

Wouldn't call it a social experiment, but rather the product of a major disagreement between ITF and ATP taking place in 2016. It may end up to be a good thing, as now the stages of a professional career are more evident. ITF Rankings seem to reflect the low tier performances better than ATP Rankings ever could. Also, the ATP always had a problem with low level points being too many, it is why the 2009 system gave so few points to them compared to the least valued challenger. This problem is now gone forever, the difference between low tier and Challenger levels now reaching the gap of the Grand Canyon.

Corrected. Thanks, I was probably a bit drunk...
Yes I agree it is a good thing in the end and thing will shake themselves out over the next year, and then next year as well because the 25K will offer no rankings points, only ATP and Challenger events will, 25k will have only ITF points

So we gonna see what's going on you know, one week at a time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts