Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
What would Ferrer know about the top players?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Ferrer may be right but he has no right to criticize Wawrinka. I would understand it if the top 4 (let's just include Murray) said something like that. Bums who have never won slams need not participate. We have Andrew Castle for that

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Ferrer is really one to talk, considering he's choked in every big match he's ever played against any of them.
Honestly, people give Wawrinka grief over that AO final. If Ferrer was there, he would not win more than a set even if Rafa was close to going into coma...

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Honestly, people give Wawrinka grief over that AO final. If Ferrer was there, he would not win more than a set even if Rafa was close to going into coma...
Rafa was injured, and we know ferrer would have won there too. Stan just had lucky. No way he would have won a slam final (regardless of surface) against a big 3 or possibly big 4.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Oh, there's no doubt. Ferrer would have somehow found a way to lose, the guy is a tremendous choker in those spots. Stan himself even struggled to get through it.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
And blah blah blah........ :yawn:
Its true, he would have lost in normal conditions. He'd have won a set if lucky.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Ferrer's always quick to say that he's not in the same league as the Big 4 - even last year when he was #3 himself - so I don't have a problem with him saying Stan isn't quite there either. (For that matter, I don't think Stan would put himself up with Nadal/Djokovic/Federer - he's finally starting to believe that he can beat them if he plays his best tennis, but that's a different thing than claiming you're equal with them. Stan's never been full of hubris/ego like that.)

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Well, he didn't say anything outrageous. It's his opinion and although Stan is doing great this year (I wish him well btw) he needs to win more to be truly considered part of that elite group (Djokovic, Fed, Rafa) ... a very young DP was getting there when he won the USO09, but unfortunately because of injuries etc. never made it. It took Murray forever to be a part of that group and many people still question if he really belongs there or not. That's just my impression btw. It doesn't matter but the fact is that Djokovic, Nadal and Fed are still 'selling' tennis and tournaments ... they are globally recognized as true stars. Fed hasn't win anything big for a long time but you can't really question his global stardom.

So, Pics just expressed his opinion and many players probably feel the same. When it comes to Wawrinka, I've always thought that he is a great player ... thank God, things finally clicked in his head. It's too bad that it's maybe a bit late. Stan will be 30 soon and I somehow doubt he'll be winning slams and masters left and right.

By the way, it would be hilarious if Ferrer somehow manages to win RG. MTF would explode :lol:.

·
Registered
57,594 Posts
Why are people mad about this? He's right :shrug: Yes, he's a mental midget who will probably never win a Slam himself because of it, but that doesn't remove his right to an opinion :lol:

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Ferrer has won GS matches over Nadal twice and he did it at the US Open from a set down.
Yes, once in the 4th round seven years ago (USO), which is hardly relevant to anything now, and once when Nadal was broken down in a QF three years ago (AO).

In neither case did he stand any chance of winning the tournament (USO and AO) following those matches and he knew it. Hence, there was a very different level of pressure for him.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Rafa was injured, and we know ferrer would have won there too. Stan just had lucky. No way he would have won a slam final (regardless of surface) against a big 3 or possibly big 4.
Give me a break with this crap. Rafa looked fine for the 1 set and half. If he was playing against Ferrer, he would win the first 2 sets, and Ferrer would bend over to lose in 5, even if Rafa broke his back in half. Heck, I am not even sure Federer would have beaten Rafa considering he did lose to him in the semis without too much trouble.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts