Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World number five David Ferrer has painted a grim picture for anyone wanting to challenge the 'big four' in the Grand Slams this year as he believes they are on "another level" to the rest.

Ferrer lost to defending champion, and world number one, Novak Djokovic, in the Australian Open quarter-final earlier this week, going down in straight sets 6-4 7-6 (7-4) 6-1.

The Spanish star believes Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Brit hope Andy Murray - the four players who have made it to the semi-finals once again in Melbourne - are way ahead of the rest in the top 10 at the moment. Anyone looking at the Wimbledon tennis betting online will know how hard they are to break up.

Ferrer's assessment will come as no surprise to many as the aforementioned top four in the world have dominated the men's game over the past 12-18 months but it was hoped the likes of Ferrer, Joe-Wilfried Tsonga and others could begin to challenge them in 2012.

However, Ferrer says they are still too good for the others and he believes the rest of the Grand Slams this season will continue to be dominated by the big four.

"I think the top four players, they are better than the other ones," he said.

"They are (at a) much better level than other ones."

Ferrer was asked whether he felt anyone, including himself, could compete with them at Wimbledon later in the year, but he gave a fairly downbeat assessment of the chasing pack.

He added: "No, I don't think so because the last year, the top four players play all the finals in the Grand Slams.

"They were there in the final rounds and this year they are doing (it) again."

"I think the top four, it's another level."

Ferrer plans to return to Spain to recover before he then will try to focus on somehow breaking the top-four's stranglehold in the game - despite knowing how difficult a task that is.

"Now I will go to home, I will go to relax some days (and then) come back to play in some tournaments again and will try to fight again," he said.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts