53,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feliciano "LaLo" Lopez def. Stefan "El Fashionista" Koubek 6-4 3-6 6-4

Flo coming on strong in Vienna.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Re: LaLo def. El Fashionista Koubek 6-4 3-6 6-4

Feli makes his second straight QF of a tournament. He played alright in the first set, good enough to win it anyway. He fell in love with DF's in the second set, while Koubek really picked up his game. In the third, Lopez just stuck with it. Even when he got pressured on his serve. At *4-5 in the 3rd, Lopez had 3 MP's, but Koubek fought back to get to deuce. Then he had another MP which Koubek again fought off. He wasn't about to let a 5th match point go to waste.

Got it done. I'm telling ya...I saw a change in him at Wimbledon. And it showed itself in that great Stuttgart SF run, and it's continued. This man was ranked 96th at one point earlier this season. His ranking was 43 as of Monday. I sure hope Albert Costa is being compensated nicely for his services.:)

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts

I caught this match from the beginning of the 2nd set, and I have to say that Koubek seemed to be in control from that point. :confused:

Just the one poor service game, and it cost him the match.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Costa definitely seems to have got Lopez's ass pointing in the right direction again.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts

Damn Lalo. :mad: He didnt deserve to win, Koubek was a better player.
What a joke.

Thats tennis, what can you do? :sad:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

Lopez is former champion at this event, in 2004.
It's a shame that Koubek couldn't convert his break point opportunities early in the final set.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts

Congrats Albert, you´re good
My thinking exactly, Al managed to salvage something out of the wreck that was Lalo's career. It is time to move to something more important, what about DC captain? :help:

·
Registered
13,295 Posts

My thinking exactly, Al managed to salvage something out of the wreck that was Lalo's career. It is time to move to something more important, what about DC captain? :help:
He will be DC captain soon I´m convinced

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

Go Feli.. =) Revenge David!

·
Registered
22,080 Posts

Strange...Koubek was on top mentally and also playing far better tennis late in the second, some of the stuff was magical, the way he could change defence into attack, from both wings. He reminded me of a younger Grosjean today.

Lopez will be top 35 by the end of the year I think.

He could do well in Madrid TMS, i remember one year he done particularly well there, 2003 when every match he played was pretty epic. The match against Zabaleta was my favourite, it was pretty entertaining. He then went on to lose to Federer, that match was close as well.

He is a dangerous indoor player with the big swining left-handed serve.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts

whos lalo?

·
Banned
1,472 Posts

good work by Feliciano - considered this a toss-up but went w/ Feli 'cause I wanted him to take out that scoundrel Koubek

that said, I saw his entire match vs. Donald Young at the Open and Young thoroughly outplayed him - just had no idea how to play the critical points so Lopez pulled it out. I guess he played better against Federer in the next round (I was gone by then) but still...

·
Registered
13,191 Posts

Vamoooos Feli!!

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Re: Feliciano "LaLo" Lopez def. Stefan "El Fashionista" Koubek 6-4 3-6 6-4

Seen the last 2 sets and F.Lo was walking around like one giant hormone.

complaining like hell about everything - bad face all the time like Nadal/Ferrero...

barrel of laughs these Spaniards on court arnt they :rolleyes:

unlucky Steff.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
Re: Feliciano "LaLo" Lopez def. Stefan "El Fashionista" Koubek 6-4 3-6 6-4

This is the only event LaLo has won in his career and while he is easy to make fun of. He does have a very good serve when it's working and Koubek will definitely pissed off at losing a golden opportunity, at least he wasn't disqualified this time around.

Big Al Costa has shown his pedigree as a coach saving LaLo's career and if he can get LaLo hitting topspin backhands consistently in 08, then he should be coach of the year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts