Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
50,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has become quite clear that either Nadal or Djokovic or both will surpass 20 slams and Djokovic will break the weeks at #1 record (Fed's at least, not all time)

Seeing and knowing this, Roger's only chance is to win another slam, probably Wimbledon, to get to 21. Even better if he beats Nadal or Djokovic en route

If Djokovic and Nadal split RG 20 and RG 21, one wins each, and another AO for Djoker of course, leaves us with 20-20-19 going into Wimbledon 2021, and truly Roger's last stand. If he wins that, and gets to 21-20-19, well then Roger is still the GOAT, at least at that point in time

·
Registered
59,941 Posts
I've said before, in this very subjective inquiry, I think Djokovic can probably trail Federer by 1 Slam and still be considered GOAT. I think that number could be arguably as high as 3 (I'd lean 2) for Nadal. He just has the most complete resume of the most 3 easily. Fed lacks the Masters, Nadal lacks the weeks at #1 and the YEC.

I think Nadal needs at least one, maybe 2, more to surpass Fed given the amount he trails by in weeks at #1 and the lack of YEC.

·
Your visions will happen
50,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've said before, in this very subjective inquiry, I think Djokovic can probably trail Federer by 1 Slam and still be considered GOAT. I think that number could be arguably as high as 3 (I'd lean 2) for Nadal. He just has the most complete resume of the most 3 easily. Fed lacks the Masters, Nadal lacks the weeks at #1 and the YEC.

I think Nadal needs at least one, maybe 2, more to surpass Fed given the amount he trails by in weeks at #1 and the lack of YEC.
Nadal should focus big time on winning YEC this year, as he finally has a year where he is not tired and injured at the end of a long year because there was no long year

Djokovic would already pass Nadal for me if he beats him Sunday

As for Fed, we need to look at all the final numbers, but Nadal would need at least 21 considering he is 100 weeks behind and as you said, no YEC

Novak has no gold medal, so cannot be GOAT.
Only one demerit, can still be GOAT with other numbers

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
yeah its over i think, Novak>Roger>Rafa IMO

·
Registered
755 Posts
If Djokovic wins another RG and that's #18 or #19, he's already GOAT.

GOAT is not solely based on Slams and never has been.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It has become quite clear that either Nadal or Djokovic or both will surpass 20 slams and Djokovic will break the weeks at #1 record (Fed's at least, not all time)

Seeing and knowing this, Roger's only chance is to win another slam, probably Wimbledon, to get to 21. Even better if he beats Nadal or Djokovic en route

If Djokovic and Nadal split RG 20 and RG 21, one wins each, and another AO for Djoker of course, leaves us with 20-20-19 going into Wimbledon 2021, and truly Roger's last stand. If he wins that, and gets to 21-20-19, well then Roger is still the GOAT, at least at that point in time
Hate to break it to you. But Federer will never win another slam. He Is going to be nearly 40 years old by the time the next Wimbledon rolls around. And he has had double knee surgery. It was a good run while it lasted. But at they say RECORDS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN. Federer will see his record broken and passed by AT LEAST one slam. 21. And that record will stand for a very very long time if not forever.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
If Djokovic wins another RG and that's #18 or #19, he's already GOAT.

GOAT is not solely based on Slams and never has been.
It is in this era. Djokovic's needs the following to close the deal

SLAM=21
TITLES 105 ( or more than Federer)
WEEKS AT NUMBER 1 (311)

Then no Federer fan can make an argument. If he only ends with 19 even 20. Their arguments will go on forever.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
yeah its over i think, Novak>Roger>Rafa IMO
Nadal is clearly out of contention with the clay skew. You cannot be GOAT with 1 AO and 2 Wimbs. So its between Fed and Djoko and 20-17 is too big at the moment. Could be 20-18 on Sunday tho. However Djoko being up against Useless Gen and Next Gen swings it for Fed imo.
No such thing as 'clay skew' it's not a stat, not a factor, but your subjective reasoning.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I don't see how anyone can possibly say this when Nadal has less titles than Federer at AO, Wimbledon and USO, plus zero ATP Finals titles.

If clay had never been invented, he wouldn't even be in the argument. Of course, he is the greatest clay player ever by a country mile.

I don't personally believe that there can be a GOAT because tennis is a game of surfaces and conditions. If one player was absolutely miles ahead then fair enough, but it's going to be very close between the big three, and I don't see how anyone can say definitively that one is better than the others, when they all have strengths and weaknesses.

I will say that Djokovic fans are completely delusional if they think Djokovic is going to be regarded as the best with less Grand Slam titles.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Federers slam record is gone, it will belong to nadal next FO(at the very least equaled). Maybe novak will have a shot at the record in a year or 2 in the future. Federer will have to dominate for a year, win 3 of the 4 slams next year to have a chance to live through the rampage.

·
Registered
59,941 Posts
I will say that Djokovic fans are completely delusional if they think Djokovic is going to be regarded as the best with less Grand Slam titles.
At 20-20-19, with Djokovic having 19, I think he's GOAT. Or probably 21-20-19, where Nadal is the 21. Big Masters edge over Federer (and probably slight #1 edge), big #1 edge on Nadal, and obviously Nadal has the big YEC hole in resume.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Philippousis, Baghdatis etc needs come out of retirement then
Yeah, Federer is one of the best players ever, but novak and rafa are ahead of him. Sorry fedfans, but the majority of his majors were won against lesser players. Much easier to increase your tally against baghdatis types.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, Federer is one of the best players ever, but novak and rafa are ahead of him. Sorry fedfans, but the majority of his majors were won against lesser players. Much easier to increase your tally against baghdatis types.
You forgot one thing,

Peak Novak lost to Jurgon Melter at the FO and Istomom at the AO.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Based on what? Baghdatis took out all the best players after Federer in that tournament.

Young Baghdatis looked like Andre Agassi with a bigger serve and better net play. He had the potential to win multiple slams, but he was extremely lazy. Plus he was frequently injured.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts