Mens Tennis Forums banner

1861 - 1880 of 1883 Posts

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
He admitted in interviews before that he wasn't planning on playing much on clay this year.
So he'll probably play Dubai, one of the IW/Miami and then at most one clay master before RG, will get top-8, not more.

No one really knows his plans and he could change his schedule as he likes so it could fit his aims or goals or what ever. Maybe that is why he has not said anything about clay season. 1st he would like to be fit and healthy for FO and Wimbledon.
We need to see how it is going next months .

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Well, unless he reaches the SF. Then only one of Kei/Nadal can pass him at Miami.

Hard to believe it, but he's just 3 wins away from consolidating 4th seed for the rest of the year.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Well, unless he reaches the SF. Then only one of Kei/Nadal can pass him at Miami.

Hard to believe it, but he's just 3 wins away from consolidating 4th seed for the rest of the year.
Yeah, he's got three chances of securing top-5 the next two days. A win for either Fognini, Sock or himself would do it. I guess chances are he'll have to do it himself.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Well, not much has changed. Federer still chugging along against Connors for time in the top 5. Still 8 weeks shy for time in the top 4, with No4e being his closest competition.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
If I've done the math correctly, due to Nadal's loss here, Federer can get to number 1 if he wins Montreal.

Is that correct Litotes?

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
If I've done the math correctly, due to Nadal's loss here, Federer can get to number 1 if he wins Montreal.

Is that correct Litotes?
I don't think so. Slasher's live rankings show that with this loss Nadal is now at 7555. Roger would get 7545 if he won, so 10 points less.
ATP Open Era & Live Rankings

Cinci points don't drop off until Aug 21. However, Nadal has 90 pts to defend in Cincy while Roger has none. And Nadal has 180 to defend in USO.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Damn. That's a pity. Even with the win, Federer will be ranked 3rd coming into Cincy.

He'd have to win and match Nadal's result to get there.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
He won't get to #1 this week, true, but he's getting closer to it regardless of what happens from the QF on. Not bad for a week many expected he wouldn't play at all.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
NIKE's "Federer Forever" shoes for Roger's return to #1

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Rafa lost, Roger will be #1 again on Monday :yippee:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Fun fact: He's been number 1 for 6 weeks this year. Then Nadal took over for 6 weeks...do you know what is 6 weeks from now? End of Halle...I hope he will still be number 1 :)

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Well, I'd say losing #1 at Halle is very unlikely. If Nadal wins Rome he gets it back immediately, it would take a lost final and an RG title for him to be close enough for the Halle points to matter short term.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I don't think Nadal will play much after clay this year, especially since he decided to play full clay season.

Look at his matches played since 2005:

89 - 71 - 85 - 93 - 80 - 81 - 84 - 48 - 82 - 59 - 81 - 53 - 78 - (20 and counting)

Starting from 2011, every year he plays a full calendar (80 odd matches) has been followed by a year with 50 odd matches.
If he wins Rome + French Open, that adds up to 32 matches. I give him another 20-22 matches.
Queens 2 matches, Wimbledon 4.
Toronto 3
Cinci 2
US Open 4
Beijing 5
Shanghai 2 matches.

I don't think he plays more.

1861 - 1880 of 1883 Posts