Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out all the different items from players at the USOpen that are up for auction to benefit Katrina relief.

Federer's racquet is going for $20,000 while Agassi's is going for $10,000 !

http://www.tenniskatrina.com/

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't fact that Federer's racquet getting twice as much as Agassi tell us that maybe the big crowds were there to see Federer more than Agassi? I noticed that all of Federer's night matches were packed.

I'd bid on Federer's shorts if those were up for grabs.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
if they were to see federer then he would have had alot more support in the final

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
PamV said:
me too!! :)

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
PamV said:
Doesn't fact that Federer's racquet getting twice as much as Agassi tell us that maybe the big crowds were there to see Federer more than Agassi?
:lol: So the real reasoning behind your post comes out.

I don't know why the some people here are so threatened by the fact that Agassi is beloved by so many people, especially in his own country. :scratch: Perhaps in their greedy mind that's just one more thing Roger doesn't have. Hearing the fans screaming "Andre, Andre!" is something even Roger expected. I don't know why this would bother you so much.

Anyhoo, my guess as to why Roger's racket is going for a good buck might have something to do with the fact that a) he's already a young legend, and 2) he won back-to-back USO titles.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Is that the only reason you posted this thread here - because Roger's racquet sold for more than Andre's? :rolleyes: Maybe it sold for more because he actually won the US Open and these were racquets they used during the finals? :shrug:

·
Registered
516 Posts
PamV said:
Doesn't fact that Federer's racquet getting twice as much as Agassi tell us that maybe the big crowds were there to see Federer more than Agassi? I noticed that all of Federer's night matches were packed.

I don't know about Roger having as many fans in the stands as Agassi did during their final match. He did have plenty of fans during his other matches (especially at night when I watched them) in the earlier rounds.

I think the NY crowd appreciated the Fed/Agassi match. They seemed very enthusiastic and fair. Really, how do you root against Federer anyway? It's not like watching Michael Stich who played a final there in a rotten mood and managed to get in anti-American digs while he was at it. Pulled the same stunt (ridiculing Americans) during his UCLA final match one year. A real charmer that Stich.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think that the Agassi racket was the one that I would buy I think that Andre is a great player and sportsman.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Hmmm nice amount - there's just one thing I don't understand with this bid - (I never joined one tht's maybe why ;) why do bidders top their own bids?

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Doris Loeffel said:
Hmmm nice amount - there's just one thing I don't understand with this bid - (I never joined one tht's maybe why ;) why do bidders top their own bids?
In auction theory this is known as the Winner's Curse- the fact that if you think Good Y is worth $X, then it is in your interest to bid as close to $X as possible but shaded slightly lower, to maximize your profits. But if this is a public good (a good with publicly recognized value) then everyone wants to get there. Ultimately, the winner buys it at $X minus perhaps an infinetisemally small amount, and is cursed with zero $ profit

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
R.Federer said:
Sports museum might be ones bidding on such things. In that case, they want to display U.S.O 2005 Champion racket, not so much who it is belong to.

Or it could be a rich person in Europa where Roge is more popular or equal popular as andre, compared to U.S
There is a new championship racket every year. I think someone wants a piece of Federer history. Why is it so hard to believe they are buying because of who it belongs to?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1sun said:
if they were to see federer then he would have had alot more support in the final
I think he was pretty popular. The stands were packed for his night match against Santoro. During the final people naturally wanted to see a close match, but there was plenty of cheering for both guys.

Besides that.....whomever is bidding on the racket didn't necessarily attend the match in person. Federer has fans all over the world, appart from those able to attend the USOpen.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
wowfed said:
LMAO .. Are you targetting his shorts or his undie?
:lol: umm no comment :angel:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
R.Federer said:
Or it could be a rich person in Europa where Roge is more popular or equal popular as andre, compared to U.S
Why do you assume Federer doesn't have any rich fans within the US? I noticed Tony Bennett there watching during two of his matches. Other celebrities are Fed fans as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts