Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few bits and pieces:

Q. What made the difference, Roger?

ROGER FEDERER: But I think he made the more important points today. It was a bit unfortunate for me, but he did play well and served really well when he had to.

Q. He played very well, obviously. But do you think your standard was as high as it always has been?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, look, I told you, it depends a lot on day form. You can't always, you know, play your best or, you know, the opponent doesn't always play the same way either.

There's no doubt I've played better in my life. That's for sure, you know. I've not been really serving like the way I wanted to, you know, maybe the last few matches. But maybe served too many aces against Tipsarevic, so I didn't have any more left (smiling).

Look, it happens. But he covered the court well. He didn't give me much. So that obviously played a role in the way I played tonight. But, you know, I wasn't completely satisfied.

Q. Do you look back now and think about the preparation a couple weeks ago and the illness? Was that having a lingering effect at all on your game throughout this tournament?

ROGER FEDERER: Look, I don't know, seriously. I'll definitely reflect on what happened. You know, I mean, considering, you know, my illness, I'm sort of happy with the result here.

Of course, I've created a monster, so I know I need to always win every tournament. But semis is still, you know, pretty good. But, yeah, I'll analyze and see if I have to make changes for next year. But, honestly, I think I did play pretty good.

I didn't play my best throughout the championships, but it was pretty solid, so it was okay.

Q. You don't really feel like you've created a monster, do you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, some sort of, yeah.

Q. Can you elaborate on that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, winning every other week, you know, lose a set and people say I'm playing bad. So it's my own mistake, I guess.

Full Interview: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2008-01-25/200801251201262265115.html

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Q. Can you elaborate on that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, winning every other week, you know, lose a set and people say I'm playing bad. So it's my own mistake, I guess.
So it's more important to be critique free than to win tournaments? :eek:

·
Registered
691 Posts
But maybe served too many aces against Tipsarevic, so I didn't have any more left (smiling).
:lol: :hug: I'm ecstatic Novak won, but I do kinda like Federer, in a grudging kind of way. Even when he's not playing his best he's still incredible, and he seems like a nice man. I don't think he's nearly as modest as he likes people to think he is though! :devil: ;)

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Q. Do you feel you were moving as well as you usually do?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I don't. I didn't think I was moving that great, you know.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
He gave a sound presser, calm and collected. Didn't sound too emotional, which was a relief.

I've heard worse for him after a difficult loss (Rome 2006, Losing to Berdych in the Olympics, now that was a terse and upset presser).

The reporters were nice to him, I thought.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm sorry your diamond shoes are too tight, Roger.

Honestly..

:)
Well when you set the standard as high as he did, nothing short of the subliminal is ever good enough. He has a point, but it doesn't apply in this case.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Federer is only "humble" and "modest" when he wins. When he loses, he turns it a mean-spirited Serena Williams of the ATP.

Reactions: A_Skywalker

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
Not the most gracious interview, but certainly not unsportsmanlike. He did say that Novak played well. What is he supposed to do, thank Novak for giving him the beatdown?
True

What worries me is this constant delusion that Djokovic and his ilk haven't improved.

They have, massively. Unless he analyses that and tries to combat it, he will be doomed to the same mistakes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Federer is only "humble" and "modest" when he wins. When he loses, he turns it a mean-spirited Serena Williams of the ATP.
He's not making excuses. He's saying that he sucked. Just like Roddick did after that loss to Fed in 2007. He's not gonna spill his guts for all of us to see. The guy is being pretty realistic and collected. He's saying the right stuff - just look, he lost a semifinal and half of MTF is showing up for the funeral.
He gives Djoke a lot of credit as well. What's mean about that? ah... forget it.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
funny how patronising the journalists sounded, that was compeltely unecessary I think

FEderer sounded very neutral to me, like nothing too bad happened

·
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA
9,981 Posts
You're right--Rome '06 was something else. That was just an "emotional" clay court season for him.

He gave a sound presser, calm and collected. Didn't sound too emotional, which was a relief.

I've heard worse for him after a difficult loss (Rome 2006, Losing to Berdych in the Olympics, now that was a terse and upset presser).

The reporters were nice to him, I thought.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
What worries me is this constant delusion that Djokovic and his ilk haven't improved.

They have, massively. Unless he analyses that and tries to combat it, he will be doomed to the same mistakes.
He hasn't.

You seriously believe Fed's level there was the same at USO?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I think he was more than gracious enough so soon after a major disappointment. He'll be plenty aggressive next time out. I didn't see the first set which had the tell tale sign of the night, dropping serve while serving at 5-3. It's a symptom that comes and goes with Roger., lsoing big points, or important moments. He'll get over it again, and be a monster :) what's he supposed to do, he said ND played great! He's not his mother :)

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
He hasn't.

You seriously believe Fed's level there was the same at USO?
Djokovic has improved massively in the last nine months, yes, and he has improved since the US Open.

Clearly he's worked on some things in the off season and the experience and confidence of last year has help to tighten his game up too.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts