Mens Tennis Forums banner

How would you qualify Federer's mental strength?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Federer is a highly accomplished player. However, his mental strength seems rather average. He has a good record in tiebreaks but not really a great record in deciding match tiebreaks. His five set record stands at 22-18, which is decent for a regular ATP player, but mediocre at best for someone who's widely considered one of the best players of all time. What do you think?

Discuss.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
It's less about mental strength and more about his high risk style of play. Players who play with lower risk are often very strong in tight situations.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's very mediocre and I think it's remarkable how much he's achieved with it.

It's less about mental strength and more about his high risk style of play. Players who play with lower risk are often very strong in tight situations.
Also this, but Sampras played an even more high risk game IMO and he had such high mental strength to make it work.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah his mental strength is so poor, lord knows how he won so many slams when he chokes so hard in matches before he even reaches the Quarters. :silly:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually think Federer has been playing the big points especially conservatively in the past years, almost waiting for the opponent to make the error. I think that in big matches against highly accomplished opponents that generally doesn't work well.

·
Registered
21,281 Posts
Federer was never known for his mental strength and he is definitely a weak player mentally nowadays, as he clearly has proved this year especially, in the important points he has clearly not been doing well. Since 2010 basically, he started screwing up, losing matches in a big lead, having Mp and still losing it, but before 2010, his mentally strength was good, people seems to have forgotten that, he used to be the GOAT in Tie breaks, whenever he was a bp down, he used to serve an ace/service winner, he was clutch in his prime. Since 2010 that changed though and he became a mental midget.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Federer was never known for his mental strength and he is definitely a weak player mentally nowadays, as he clearly has proved this year especially, in the important points he has clearly not been doing well. Since 2010 basically, he started screwing up, losing matches in a big lead, having Mp and still losing it, but before 2010, his mentally strength was good, people seems to have forgotten that, he used to be the GOAT in Tie breaks, whenever he was a bp down, he used to serve an ace/service winner, he was clutch in his prime. Since 2010 that changed though and he became a mental midget.
Yep, people forget how mentally tough he was before Nadal slowly pounded him into a mush. These days, his mental strength is pretty bad, he believes anyone can beat him and it shows, especially in the very beginning of matches. He used to start 90% of matches with a lot of spirit and get an early break or 2, these days he first gets broken, then sometimes makes it back, sometimes he doesn't and it's mostly because he doesn't go on the court thinking "if I'm aggressive I'm gonna win it".

Fed of old is nothing like the Fed were seeing now.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
it's avg. can't say it's mediocre because he has turned around many tight matches, tie-breaks. For a while he was best known for saving bps, sps, mps with an ace. His risky style just fails more often these days against players who are on fire.

In this order:
Nadal - Excellent
Del Potro - Excellent
Djokovic - Excellent
Ferrer - Good
Murray - Good
Berdych - Good
Tsonga - Good
Federer - Average
Wawrinka - Average (used to be awful)

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
You don't win so many slams if you are not mentally strong. simple shit.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
you can't win 17GS without having titanic levels of mental strength

its declined now though

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
It was average back in the years, now it's just bad.
Because he's old, so you can't really expect him to do always something amazing when he's down break point or something like that.
Remember at Wimbledon 2012 against Murray? In the second set Murray was 2 points away from the tie break and Federer played 2 amazing points which basically killed Murray.

It's sad because if he had a good mental strength he could have won more Slams.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
This really isn't an all-or-nothing question. He was an absolute beast mentally in his prime, extremely clutch on important points and in TB's. This was of course greatly helped by enormous confidence he got from winning everything under the sun off clay for a time. (If Nalbandian and Safin lived up more to their potential, this might have looked differently)

Nowadays, he not only lacks that amount of confidence (which you desperatly need if you're going to play a high risk game), but he's actual abilities are no longer the same. So, I'd say that he's lost some of his mental edge, but some of the perceived chokiness is actually inability of his fans to grasp the reality as it's more appealing to believe he can produce magic at will if only he were mentally stronger.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Mental strength declines with physical prowess. If your ground strokes don't penetrate, what good will mental strength do?

I'd like to see mental giant Nadal's and clutch Djokovic's mental strengths when their movements have declined and shots have withered away.

I predict they will be as poor as Olderer or worse.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well he was never as strong mentally as say Nadal. If i give Nadal 10/10 for his mental strength, younger Federer would get 8/10. He was clutch at important moments.

Now he'd get 4/10. :sad:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It is easy to be clutch when you are at your peak and your game is levels above the competition. I mean he was clutch, his game didn't fall apart when he was in tough situation but it was much easier when the ball went where he wanted and his forehand was a sure winner. He was steamrolling opponents whether he was leading or behind. Thats gone, his game is full of errors now, he is fragile from beginning and he never knows what he can expect. Agree though he is way too passive on BP waiting for opponent to give it to him.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts