Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's still only August 20th, 2018, but these are IMO what Rogie's goals should be in 2019...

1.) Win Monte Carlo, Rome, FO (1st MC, 1st R, and 2nd FO for the double career slam, hopefully first to do so unless Rafa wins 2019 AO or Djokovic wins 2019 FO), also this would give Rogie at least 1 of all 9 Masters Series events...

2.) Win AO, W, and USO...

Conclusion: Basically try to win the 4 Grand Slams plus MC and R...

The rest don't really matter anymore (i.e. Rotterdam, Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid, Stuttgart, Halle, Canada, Cincinnati, Shanghai, even Basel, Paris, YE event too)...

What're your thoughts, what should Rogie focus most/only on in 2019?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Reality: Stay healthy. Play. Win something. (in that order)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I mean it, #1 for 2019, one last run at those 3 clay events...

Other than that, only AO, W, and USO matter anymore...

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Yep, Frogie can't string 2 solid baseline rallies together, but he'll definitely strive for clay Masters or slams.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Low hanging fruits in 2019 that have not been mentioned:

1) La Decima in Halle. Halles deserves it, even calling a main street Roger Federer Street.

2) La Decima in hometown Basel (assuming Fed as predicted will win in 2018).

Also these two wins plausibly will get Fed close to kicking Connors ass.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah more titles at Rotterdam, Dubai, Stuttgart, Halle, Cincinnati, Shanghai, and Basel, etc. would all be fine and dandy, but aside from the AO, W, and USO, his only other possible focuses should be Monte Carlo, Rome, and the FO one last time each... It's mainly grand slams or bust when you're 37, no?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Stay healthy and win a slam either AO or Wimbledon, thats the main goal.

This year playing for number 1 screwed him.
He didn't do anything extra to get to #1. The only difference between last year and this year is playing Rotterdam instead of Dubai and Cincinnati instead of Rogers Cup. He basically just played his regular schedule.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Yeah more titles at Rotterdam, Dubai, Stuttgart, Halle, Cincinnati, Shanghai, and Basel, etc. would all be fine and dandy, but aside from the AO, W, and USO, his only other possible focuses should be Monte Carlo, Rome, and the FO one last time each... It's mainly grand slams or bust when you're 37, no?

his body can't take that grind. and it's his decision not yours.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think he should try to stay and healthy and win as many titles as possible. He should try to overtake Jimmy Connors' 109 titles record.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think he should try to stay and healthy and win as many titles as possible. He should try to overtake Jimmy Connors' 109 titles record.
That’s not happening unless he goes full vulture... Who cares about that fake record anyway, as long as he breaks the 100 I’m happy.

I’m sure he will have very high objectives, including Slam titles of course, otherwise he would retire. But I’ll be fine with one Slam semi, one final at M1000 or better and one title at 500 or better. And top 8 finish of course, I can’t imagine WTF without him yet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
That’s not happening unless he goes full vulture... Who cares about that fake record anyway, as long as he breaks the 100 I’m happy.
It's not going to happen in 2019, no. But what I meant was that if he accumulates a good number of titles, it might give him a chance in 2021, if he's still playing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's not going to happen in 2019, no. But what I meant was that if he accumulates a good number of titles, it might give him a chance in 2021, if he's still playing.
That was my understanding. He can win another 2 this year, maybe 3 next year... and he will need another 6, at 38yo+.
He can’t do it by playing one 250 and 3 500 per year imo.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I really want to see la decima at Halle and Basel. I think I’d rather see him do that then say when another sunshine double.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Oh god, I know the fact that Djokovic just completes his M1000 set caused ruins to Fedfans, but let's be realistic. The possibility of Federer playing on clay again is really low, let alone winning any events, and in his case, 2 M1000 and RG (if he wants to be the first to hold 2 trophies at each slam). So yeah, let's just say goodbye to the Career Golden Masters.

His goal should just be: stay healthy, win any slam, any M1000, la decima at Halle and Basel.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts