Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will come off as sour grapes, but I see such an obvious error from fed off the backhand side against Djokovic. He still probably would have lost this match (though not Wimbledon) but I would love to see him optimize his chances.

Late in the first set he started slicing all the time from non-defensive positions, just like at Wimbledon. All this does is give Djokovic time, where he redirects the ball and gets Federer on the run. Game over.

When Fed just blasts his backhand, he is able to stay neutral or get on the offensive.

Hoping someone from the Federer camp reads this. I read all the time how Djokovic is so much better than Fed (I am guilty of this too) but when I watch the matches I see Fed generally controlling the points until Steffi Graf Jr. on the backhand side takes over.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The only reason Fed was in the match at Wimbledon because Djokovic played some of the worst tennis of his career in that final for most of match. If Djoker just plays his regular 70-80 percent normal self Fed has NO hope regardless of whatever tactics he tries to employ

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
He probably can’t keep it up constantly without starting to spray errors
I’m sure he’d prefer to blast winners nonstop, if he could

·
justice for all
17,966 Posts
Well it’s the question whether he has the confidence to pull off the trigger with his DTL BH consistently. That’s the pattern of play that Stan employed in his famous wins over Novak especially in RG 2015 final. But to execute it one needs extreme confidence and consistency with the lower % shot. Long story short: much easier said than done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not talking about down the line. Just coming over the ball with some pace crosscourt. His backhand is more consistent with the new racket. I think the biggest mistake of his career was waiting too long to switch rackets.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
The only reason Fed was in the match at Wimbledon because Djokovic played some of the worst tennis of his career in that final for most of match. If Djoker just plays his regular 70-80 percent normal self Fed has NO hope regardless of whatever tactics he tries to employ
That’s exactly why an injured Federer was kicking his ass for most of the first set until 5-3.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
It's absolutely ridiculous how Djokovic can still get a draw like this to get to a GS final in 2020. First 4 opponents aren't worth mentioning at all, then he gets freaking Raonic which is just tragicomedy, the only possible bigger joke would be getting Nishikori again. Then the last hurdle is a broken old man who can't get through a grand slam tournament uninjured anymore.
The guy is still probably the best player in the world right now but seriously, it's 2020 and there's still not a single remotely serious player to challenge him on a way to a GS final? Hopefully Thiem or Zverev will finally show some balls when it really matters. All the stories about the depth of the tour are still just bullcrap.

He didn't look that injured to me. He hasn't take a set off Djoker there since Dubya was in office. Sure Fed is good for a quick blitz on Nole for a set but thats it. Thats the way its generally been and will continue to be. Fed can't sustain a level physically/mentally to do much of anything to Nole unless Nole's level is craping the bed (Ala Wimbledon last year)

Fed may as well all it a career if he doesn't win Wimbledon this year. The slam record is already out the door for him. Nole needs to seal the deal in the final and Nadal wins the French. Fed will probably end up #3 in slam count

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
He didn't look that injured to me. He hasn't take a set off Djoker there since Dubya was in office. Sure Fed is good for a quick blitz on Nole for a set but thats it. Thats the way its generally been and will continue to be. Fed can't sustain a level physically/mentally to do much of anything to Nole unless Nole's level is craping the bed (Ala Wimbledon last year)

Fed may as well all it a career if he doesn't win Wimbledon this year. The slam record is already out the door for him. Nole needs to seal the deal in the final and Nadal wins the French. Fed will probably end up #3 in slam count
Wrong, Rogie took a set off of Djokovic in the 2016 SF!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
His gameplan without much defense is wrong since 2011. In this era has to focus defense pushing to win slams. His attacking is top able to hurt everyone but defense is lacking.

Djoker's money is the CC backhand exchange with Federer. He needs to neutralize it to have a chance. Currently Federer had stabilized his service games against Djoker which is a good sign.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm not talking about down the line. Just coming over the ball with some pace crosscourt. His backhand is more consistent with the new racket. I think the biggest mistake of his career was waiting too long to switch rackets.
His CC Backhand need to play it properly, need to keep it in and not keep hitting low margin over the net and semi-shank curve balls trying to force errors from opponent.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Lol, if any of these players play 70-80% they will lose their first match against a top 20 ranked pro, forget against Federer.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
He slices because he doesn't want to give Novak pace to work with and redirect ball wherever he wants. By giving him slices, he forces him to generate his own pace on the ball from a point very low from the ground, which can result in a more attackable next ball if not executed perfectly. Novak struggles with no-pace balls much more than with those of rally-pace. I am not talking about cannonballs, those blow him (and everyone else) off the court, but Federer is not that kind of player, nor can he rely on that shot to bring him victory. He was doing the right thing.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
He slices because he doesn't want to give Novak pace to work with and redirect ball wherever he wants. By giving him slices, he forces him to generate his own pace on the ball from a point very low from the ground, which can result in a more attackable next ball if not executed perfectly. Novak struggles with no-pace balls much more than with those of rally-pace. I am not talking about cannonballs, those blow him (and everyone else) off the court, but Federer is not that kind of player, nor can he rely on that shot to bring him victory. He was doing the right thing.
His slice has to be deep too, some shallow slices don't work.

After Djokovic try to generate pace, Federer need to counter attack better to the open court especially.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
His slice has to be deep too, some shallow slices don't work.

After Djokovic try to generate pace, Federer need to counter attack better to the open court especially.
Ofc, gameplan is one thing, the execution is something completely different. And that is a growing problem for Fed, bcs of a declining footwork. You can't blame him for that. And also, because of that, slice is more reliable than low percentage shot that requires near-perfect positioning.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ofc, gameplan is one thing, the execution is something completely different. And that is a growing problem for Fed, bcs of a declining footwork. You can't blame him for that. And also, because of that, slice is more reliable than low percentage shot that requires near-perfect positioning.
True that age is factor as he can't stay in the long rallies so much. Its interesting this match up and against Nadal change a lot of times.

Its good sign as Federer playing at 100% will be 7-6 sets with him. Service has not so much trouble. He just need to work more on breaking Djoker.

Slice and bomb cannons. Sometimes Djoker will retrieve, Federer need to be more patient to play defense especially his running forehand..

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
The last thing Federer should try to do against Djokovic is try to go toe to toe with him on the baseline. Fed's biggest advantage is his ability to really mix things up and just throw a ton of different looks at Djokovic to keep him off balance. The key to all of it is execution, but at this point in time I just don't think he can execute at a high enough percentage to actually win most of these matches (especially in Bo5).

The other major issue Federer has is that he just doesn't really believe he can beat Novak in slam matches. He said in his presser after the match that he came in thinking he had like a 3% chance of winning. That suggests to me that he likely wouldn't have given himself much of a chance even if healthy. Confidence is vital to win matches against the toughest opponents and clearly Djokovic has really drained that out of him.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To me, his more consistent backhand is only an asset against Nadal.

Against Djokovic, the slices are a plus (unless they are slices coming from Nadal - then they are a liability :lol:). What set him back against Novak is his forehand and offensive movement to a lesser extent. It's much harder for him to break open a point against Novak now off the ground which is why he's so reliant on his serve in this match-up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
His gameplan without much defense is wrong since 2011. In this era has to focus defense pushing to win slams. His attacking is top able to hurt everyone but defense is lacking.

Djoker's money is the CC backhand exchange with Federer. He needs to neutralize it to have a chance. Currently Federer had stabilized his service games against Djoker which is a good sign.
What a load of bullshit, defense is the last thing Fed needs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts