Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With every ounce of respect in my body towards Federer and his fanbase, as well as tennis fans, I would like to discuss about this statistic.

Federer is 14-1 in slam finals against Philipoussis, Baghdadis, Old Agassi, Gonzales, Hewitt, Safin, Murray, Roddick, yet he's 3-8 vs his 2 biggest rivals Nadal and Djokovic.

Federer is one of the all-time greats, but this is a serious negative point for his claim to be the GOAT. He seems to be more like the "most successful", instead of being "the greatest"...

But I'm really curious to see what people think about this particular statistic.

Reactions: Chris Kuerten

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Poor record, but those two guys aren't Federer's biggest rivals.

August 8, 1981

June 3, 1986

May 22, 1987

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Poor record, but those two guys aren't Federer's biggest rivals.
[/SIZE]

Who are his biggest rivals?

The biggest champions since the 90's were:

Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Nobody else comes close.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Federer has made more Majors finals than any other Open era player. He's also won more Majors finals than any other Open era player. He's losing more now to the two greats below him, true.

But I'll still take that record.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
In his peak (2004-2007), Federer had a positive record over Nadal and Djokovic combined in Slam finals (I know it's not relevant since Djokovic in particular wasn't at his best yet, but your stat isn't any more relevant at all). :shrug:
If you think losing Slam finals to the best player in the world at 32 and 33 hurts your legacy, then you know nothing about this sport, because that means you would think Federer is a better player had he lost earlier in the tournaments he lost to Djokovic or Nadal in the final.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
So you get it now why he's been known as Frauderer since ever, no?

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
I don't answer baits sorry.

The point I was making is that it's not an accomplishment beating up on an old man at the end of his career. 5 year difference & extremely favourable match-up, and 6 year difference. Federer is from another era. Switch ages and Djokovic and Dull won't even be playing.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Judging by logic of Dulltards it's better to lose in early rounds to Rosol, Darcis etc. at your 26-29, than in slam finals at 32-34 y.o. :worship:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
lame thread, declined Federer losing to much younger Nadal and Djokovic in slam finals in his 30s is nothing that can be used against him. if anything it just goes to show how solid Roger has remained despite growing older and declining

Nadal, Murray, Djokovic won't be in slam finals at 33 or 34 I can promise you that

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

The biggest champions since the 90's were:

Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Nobody else comes close.

:confused:

Roddick, Hewitt and Baghdatis!?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In his peak (2004-2007), Federer had a positive record over Nadal and Djokovic combined in Slam finals (I know it's not relevant since Djokovic in particular wasn't at his best yet, but your stat isn't any more relevant at all). :shrug:
If you think losing Slam finals to the best player in the world at 32 and 33 hurts your legacy, then you know nothing about this sport, because that means you would think Federer is a better player had he lost earlier in the tournaments he lost to Djokovic or Nadal in the final.
But many champions were no.1 and winning slams even at 32-33 years old such as Agassi and Serena. Federer is still as fit as ever and playing his best tennis, did you watch the Murray Wimbledon semi final? Isn't it possible that he's just facing 2 champions who are just superior to his old competition and that's why he hasn't had the same success after 2007? Surely starting in 2008, if it weren't for Nadal he would have continued winning more slams easily. And recently if it weren't for Djokovic he would be dominating Wimbledon too. So I don't think it's an excuse. He's not 40 years old. Many players were winning slams even at 32-33, and with Federer you are dismissing everything after 2007, when he was 26 years old. He was still in his prime, but Nadal and Djokovic took tennis to another level IMO starting in 2008. Federer was still in his prime but tey were more superior to Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, they have perfect combination of attack and defense, but are also mental and physical warriors.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
But many champions were no.1 and winning slams even at 32-33 years old such as Agassi and Serena. Federer is still as fit as ever and playing his best tennis, did you watch the Murray Wimbledon semi final? Isn't it possible that he's just facing 2 champions who are just superior to his old competition and that's why he hasn't had the same success after 2007? Surely starting in 2008, if it weren't for Nadal he would have continued winning more slams easily. And recently if it weren't for Djokovic he would be dominating Wimbledon too. So I don't think it's an excuse. He's not 40 years old. Many players were winning slams even at 32-33, and with Federer you are dismissing everything after 2007, when he was 26 years old. He was still in his prime, but Nadal and Djokovic took tennis to another level IMO starting in 2008. Federer was still in his prime but tey were more superior to Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, they have perfect combination of attack and defense, but are also mental and physical warriors.

Well done for initiating this discussion for only the thousandth time on MTF.

FFS.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
:confused:

Roddick, Hewitt and Baghdatis!?
Roddick and Hewitt would be favourites over Djokovic in Wimbledon finals in any year of their primes. Baghdatis in 2006 would be a big favourite over Djokovic on rebound ace (remember how useless djokovic was in fast hard?). Plexicushion saved his ass and you should be thankful.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well done for initiating this discussion for only the thousandth time on MTF.

FFS.
I don't see you having a problem with all the current "Nadal is done" or "Nadal sucks outside clay" threads which are even more numerous. Look, this is an important statistic and topic, and everytime I wanted to discuss it, it got deleted. But this time I'm trying to make it a serious discussion by not using words to annoy the Federer fanbase, but rather focusing on the statistics in a serious manner. So either try to join the discussion or go into the other threads.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Hahahaha. Stop. This is getting embarrassing
No you should stop. Roddick of 2009 Wimbledon, and his prime years would destroy Djokovic on grass who is overrated for beating an old man twice. Hewitt would be a favourite in his prime on grass. They're both grass titans.

As for Baghdatis and rebound ace... Federer had to adapt to win. Djokovic was handed a new surface. Djokovic just had to wait, just like how he beat an old, declined man on Wimbledon. Patience and luck is key.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Hewitt and Roddick never would have lost to an old man on grass in their primes. That would be embarrassing. Yet No Quack gets all the credit because... of misplaced hype. Quack.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Roddick and Hewitt would be favourites over Djokovic in Wimbledon finals in any year of their primes. Baghdatis in 2006 would be a big favourite over Djokovic on rebound ace (remember how useless djokovic was in fast hard?). Plexicushion saved his ass and you should be thankful.
No you should stop. Roddick of 2009 Wimbledon, and his prime years would destroy Djokovic on grass who is overrated for beating an old man twice. Hewitt would be a favourite in his prime on grass. They're both grass titans.

As for Baghdatis and rebound ace... Federer had to adapt to win. Djokovic was handed a new surface. Djokovic just had to wait, just like how he beat an old, declined man on Wimbledon. Patience and luck is key.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Beating Murray in 3 sets in SF Federer asking them " could you say me please which era is weak and who is
the main rival of this dominant #1 ?! Wawrinka at 30 and me at 34 ???? Nadal losing to # 100+ players
but no one treat him as they did to Federer in 2013 and before to ask him to retire so many times for years. If Fed loses a match he is in decline but if Nadal loses then well he is warrior he is going
to improve.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
vs. Nadal, French Open
vs. Nadal, French Open
vs. Nadal, French Open
vs. Nadal, French Open
vs. Nadal, Australian Open
vs. Nadal, Wimbledon
vs. Djokovic Wimbledon age 32
vs. Djokovic Wimbledon age 33