Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys and gals, long time lurker here.
Now some of you may find this to be drivel and some of you may find this an interesting topic, but I have a question.

Why in god's name, is Roger playing so badly? There is no sugarcoating this, his baseline game is awful, serving is inconsistent and impotent for his standards, and he misses every other return...

Just to be sure I wasn't being delusional about it, I watched some AO 2017 footage. His level did fluctuate during matches, but at times, it was STRATOSPHERIC.

With that level, he would probably wipe the floor with anyone here apart from maybe Nadal, who would at least have a chance.
Don't get me wrong, Djokovic and Delpo are playing great, but they aren't what they used to be, and are very vulnerable against the right opponent.

I understand the surface is slower than at AO, and he probably can't replicate that exact level, but I honestly want other people's opinion.

And please, don't hit me with that, "he is too old now' nonsense, he has been old tennis wise for at least 4-5 years now. A few vintage performances surely must still be in him.

·
|
14,305 Posts
Maybe Federer didn't train much during the clay season, and it set him back.
Even when he had the long break in 2016, he trained a lot before coming back in 2017.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Probably lack of sufficient training during the clay season and even after Wimbledon. His footwork in particular has been defficient.

Probably lack of motivation as well. While he likes tennis and certainly enjoys winning, I don't think it's as much of a priority to him as it was during his prime.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
And please, don't hit me with that, "he is too old now' nonsense, he has been old tennis wise for at least 4-5 years now. A few vintage performances surely must still be in him.
Well TBF he is in fact only getting older and his level will undoubtedly eventually decline. Not necessarily stating that is the case here, but it could legitimately be a part of it.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
The better question is how he's still sleep walking into the second week of slams and MS100 finals.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I disagree with this premise.

I’ll agree Federer’s return of serve was horrible in Cincinnati, but it was fantastic against Kyrgios and has been much improved overall. His serve has been excellent, and no one is gettin broken less than Federer. Not even Isner. His baseline game is error prone, but it’s always been error prone. No one has been hitting more winners than Federer, and that’s why he hasn’t dropped a set or even been taken to a tiebreak.

I think he could win USO.

Anyhow welcome fine sir!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Federer still can win this USO but what a shame he's playing Djokovic in the QF and not Nadull. He would wipe the court with Nadull like what he has been doing since a while.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Hard to say. He hasn't played anyone good yet. And still won't until he plays Djoker. Fed at 50 percent ha been enough to get through that creampuff draws he's had so far,

You can't base his level on anything until he plays Nole/Nadal/Del Potro

·
Registered
448 Posts
Um how is too old now not the right answer? That’s exactly what it is.

The only people that ignore age are those pathetic Djokovich and Nadal fans that can’t stand the fact that an old man that has no business winning slams is winning more or equal than those two much younger players.

The older you get, the slower, weaker, and less sharp you get. Those are undisputable facts.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

The only people that ignore age are those pathetic Djokovich and Nadal fans that can’t stand the fact that an old man that has no business winning slams is winning more or equal than those two much younger players.

The older you get, the slower, weaker, and less sharp you get. Those are undisputable facts.

Nadal/Nole are pretty old as well. Tons of mileage and no spring chickens. Tons of injuries as well. . All in their 30s. None of them having any business winning slams today but the weakness of the field today pretty much guarantee they probably win the next 10 slams or so. Which is PATHETIC

·
|
14,305 Posts

Well when Nadal was 25 I was told by Federer fans that Nadal has the body of a 35 year old and was about to retire.
Its always been assumed that Djokovic/Nadal had more wear and tear per year.
Having said that, Nadal is age 32 and still ranked #1, so I think Nadal will be winning slams when he's 35+ too.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nadal/Nole are pretty old as well. Tons of mileage and no spring chickens. Tons of injuries as well. . All in their 30s. None of them having any business winning slams today but the weakness of the field today pretty much guarantee they probably win the next 10 slams or so. Which is PATHETIC
I dont find that the 2 arguably greatest tennis players to ever play the sport continuing winning slams as "PATHETIC"

·
|
14,305 Posts
The fact that Zverev is the best of the youngsters, and he's incapable of surviving slams, makes it very easy for Nadal-Federer-Djokovic.
And Krygios has beaten the Big 4, but isn't even close to being a slam contender.
The field is doomed, and the Big 3 will cash-in until Alex de Minaur takes over.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The fact that Zverev is the best of the youngsters, and he's incapable of surviving slams, makes it very easy for Nadal-Federer-Djokovic.
And Krygios has beaten the Big 4, but isn't even close to being a slam contender.
The field is doomed, and the Big 3 will cash-in until Alex de Minaur takes over.
I hope that Shapovalov, De Minaur and Tsitsipas will have a bright future in the sport. Especially Tsitsipas, I love his all-court style.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
bla bla bla just be thankful the guy who won 4 grand slams in a row did surgery/lost interest after RG 16 win.. so that RF could amass 3 more grand slams, and be thankful he is playing at 37 years of age.
Djokovic being injured/losing interest means he is a worse tennis player compared to if those things didn't happen NOT Federer. Only tards think that injures or losing the hunger means that their player is greater. Nadaltards keep using this argument aswell. Being injured as a tennis player doesn't make you greater it makes you less great...

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Djokovic being injured/losing interest means he is a worse tennis player compared to if those things didn't happen NOT Federer. Only tards think that injures or losing the hunger means that their player is greater. Nadaltards keep using this argument aswell. Being injured as a tennis player doesn't make you greater it makes you less great...
Didn't Federer miss an entire year with an injury and is even skipping the clay season now. Injuries are not something that you typically have control over and getting them doesn't make you a lesser player. As for Djokovic in 2016, I don't think it was a loss of interest as much as it was a struggle to find motivation. Sometimes when you have been chasing a goal for so long it can be hard to find motivation once you achieve it. Though it seems overstated to even say that as he was right back in the US Open final later in 2016.

·
|
14,305 Posts
I hope that Shapovalov, De Minaur and Tsitsipas will have a bright future in the sport. Especially Tsitsipas, I love his all-court style.
Yeah that trio has legendary possibilities.
And fortunately in addition to being great talents, they also play entertaining styles of tennis.
They may take a few years to win slams though, but Alex de Minaur appears to have the right mindset to do it sooner than the others.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts