Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realise Federer is 33, but I have been searching for 2004-2007 rivals for years. They have all shared the nr 1 spot at some point, yet nowhere to be found in the top 20 or 50 nowadays.

Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, and Tommy Haas are all gone, none existant in the current era. Since Baghdatis and Gonzalez made the slam finals during 2004-2007, maybe I should include them too, but sadly it doesnt help my case as they're lost too.

Maybe age plays a factor so I decided to check on that, going way back in 2011 where none of them were found, heck I could even go back to 2010.

01/01/2011 Classic Rivals Age:

Roddick: 28
Hewitt: 29
Safin: 30
Tommy: 32
Coria: 28
Gonzalez: 30
Baghdatis: 25
James Blake: 29
Davydenko: 29

Why have all the classic Federer rivals vasnished in thin air?

·
Banned
923 Posts

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
What happened to Agassi? He was peaking at 35 according to Dulltards. Yet he retired only one year later. :confused:

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Each player is an individual, with different genes, body abilities, different lives and thinking. Why think of all tennis players like they're supermarket milk carton with an expiry date.

Reactions: Zagor

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Why couldn't Wawrinka get past the 4th round of a slam (let alone win two) during Fed's "classic" era? See where this kind of logic leads?

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
Roddick and Safin were inconsistent players who heavily declined in their last 2 years.
Others were even worse in terms of consistency and peaking ability than those 2, were often injured, therefore vanished.
Yeah, Hewitt and Baghdatis are still playing on tour, though their real level even on their best surfaces is nowhere to be found compared to 2002-06.

Overall, these rivals all have been inconsistent clowns who regarded tennis as a profession for a while, but never planned to stick around till late 30's because they were nowhere as consistent and able to peak for slams like Olderer.
Only exception is Haas, but he was the most injury riddled, so became irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Roddick and Safin were inconsistent players who heavily declined in their last 2 years.
Others were even worse in terms of consistency and peaking ability than those 2, were often injured, therefore vanished.
Yeah, Hewitt and Baghdatis are still playing on tour, though their real level even on their best surfaces is nowhere to be found compared to 2002-06.

Overall, these rivals all have been inconsistent clowns who regarded tennis as a profession for a while, but never planned to stick around till late 30's because they were nowhere as consistent and able to peak for slams like Olderer.
Only exception is Haas, but he was the most injury riddled, so became irrelevant.
This is true, it's rare to see a DJOKOVIC or recently WAWRINKA. Who can dominate the game after 28.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Guys, it's 2015. Roger is a freak for playing at this level.

People say Agassi but Agassi was MIA during the traditional peak years.

Even Roger himself is slowing becoming irrelevant in non-Wimbledon slams.

Time does that to everyone.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Noletards trying to derail Fed's achievements.

give nole an opponent not nadal in the final he also lost.

Fed stamped the authority into his rivals minds mentally that no one can beat him in his prime.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Why couldn't Wawrinka get past the 4th round of a slam (let alone win two) during Fed's "classic" era? See where this kind of logic leads?
Ferrer playing better after 30 and achieved his highest ranking and slam final appearance.

Its mainly the reason the game gets slower and the attackers of Fed's era (JC Ferrero, Ancic, Hewitt, Haas, Agassi, Baghatis, Safin, Nalbandian, Lubicjic, Roddick, Gonzales) retiring one by one.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know you tell me Zagor? What does that tell us? :lol: Good to see some old faces.

Each player is an individual, with different genes, body abilities, different lives and thinking. Why think of all tennis players like they're supermarket milk carton with an expiry date.
You guys seem to have made good points, but I still don't think it's a coincidence that all the rivals are gone.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I realise Federer is 33, but I have been searching for 2004-2007 rivals for years. They have all shared the nr 1 spot at some point, yet nowhere to be found in the top 20 or 50 nowadays.

Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, and Tommy Haas are all gone, none existant in the current era. Since Baghdatis and Gonzalez made the slam finals during 2004-2007, maybe I should include them too, but sadly it doesnt help my case as they're lost too.

Maybe age plays a factor so I decided to check on that, going way back in 2011 where none of them were found, heck I could even go back to 2010.

01/01/2011 Classic Rivals Age:

Roddick: 28
Hewitt: 29
Safin: 30
Tommy: 32
Gonzalez: 30
Baghdatis: 25
James Blake: 29

Why have all the classic Federer rivals vasnished in thin air?
Blake was 31 then, not 29 :lol:

·
Premium Member
29,535 Posts
What is the purpose of this thread? Players decline with age ffs, any child could tell you that. Federer has as well, although his highest level was above the rest so it doesn't show as much in the rankings. Case closed.
Can't even comprehend what this sad troll is insinuating. That Federer had something to do with them retiring? "ok." That the previous era was weak? The fact that the avarage age of top 100 has been high as shit the last years and that we haven't had any true youngster breakthroughs since Murray would tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
22,433 Posts
Weak era, Federer's biggest rivals started declining between the ages of 22 and 24 :spit:

This left titans like Blake, Ljubicic and Robredo to take the #3-#5 ranking spots.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
GOAT gonna GOAT.

His era's rivals are retired and gone, they are granddaddies while he is still making Slam finals, semifinals and winning Masters and beating Worlds #1.

:worship:

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Nostalgia and weak era tards in ruins :yeah:
Why? Yoda's thread will be probably be deleted yet again, Yoda will be banned again, and on the topic of rules; you remind me of somebody... so let's keep talking. Maybe I will remember who that was exactly.

Meanwhile Roger is lonely at the top of the game, because all of the favourites of the Fedhaters are too damn mediocre to stand up to the might of Fed. Then again, Fed being GOAT is the least questionable subject of the thread ironically.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts