·
Registered
5,267 Posts
1 point to win Rome 2006
2 points to win Wimbledon 2008
3 points to win Monte Carlo 2014
1 point to win Indian Wells 2018
1 point to win Wimbledon 2019
Rogie would have 22 grand slams (10 of them Ws), another IW title, and with 1 each of Rome and MC he'd have won every Masters Series event, just like Djokovic has!! Rogie would have 108 titles now instead of 103 and would be 2 titles away from surpassing Connors' 109 instead of 7 titles away... All true, but at the end of the day, Rogie lost all of the above mentioned matches!!

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
If I had won just one slam I'd have no debt and a nice house. :unsure:

Reactions: Roxitova

·
Registered
792 Posts
1 point to win Rome 2006
2 points to win Wimbledon 2008
3 points to win Monte Carlo 2014
1 point to win Indian Wells 2018
1 point to win Wimbledon 2019
True, Federer has had more than his share of narrow losses in important events. But, to address the thread title, does this make a huge difference for the GOAT debate? Not necessarily, if you ask me.

As of now, a case can be made that Federer is still ahead of Nadal even if the Spaniard equals the number of slams. If you value the WTF and success indoors highly, Rafa might still have to win a few more slams to be ahead - maybe 22-20 would be required. If Wimbledon 2008 and 2019 had turned out differently, the standing in the slam race would have been 22-18 rather than 20-19. A significant difference, yes, but not necessarily decisive. Even with a margin of four slams, Rafa would still have the possibility to equal and possibly even pass Roger. For those who value the Olympic gold and Rafa's record number of master victories highly, Nadal would come out on top in case the final standing in the slam race would be 22-22. Note that Nadal would still be ahead in the masters' race, even if Federer got three extra titles. Possibly the Spaniard could be behind in the slam race, but on top in the GOAT race, depending on who you ask.

So, in conclusion, I think it is safe to say that the GOAT debate would have been intense even if Federer had got these five extra wins. And, of course, although I didn't mention him in the above argument, Djokovic is still in the mix, as he would have been also with one slam less. If the Serb can keep up his level for a few more years, he might also end up with 20 slams or more. Thus we can safely assume that fans of big three will have plenty to argue about also in the years to come.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Part of the problem with Federer- he DIDN'T win those big points because he's always been a mental midget extraordinaire. A fragile confidence player buoyed by an army of delulu fans who will never admit that, when their hero's back is against the wall, will always lose his balls to a player like Djokovic or Nadal, who have always wanted it more than he did.

Reactions: sheep85

·
Registered
383 Posts
Lol had Federer never won Wimbledon 03, he would never have won the 20 Slams in his career, becoming slamless. Thus putting an end to this GOAT debate nonsense.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Fyi, wouId have, couId have, shouId haves & ifs r reaIIy oId news to everyone & appIies to every pIayer incIuding when Novak Iost to Murray & Wawa at GS finaIs due to weather deIay disadvantage but instead how about we make some more relevant news as in hoping for at Ieast one more showdown at AO between Fedovic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts