Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Well this legend knows a thing or two about tennis, so a big statement made about the GOAT -

Love the fact Graf always beats him when they play at home these days. I imagine Agassi has reverted back to his early 20s diet of burgers, coke and ummm...other stuff.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ehhh, I think the GOAT is what this list tells me

·
Banned
11,000 Posts
I thought he was done with drugs.
"Six years ago, Agassi declared Nadal to be the best of all time but, in an interview with Bild, he reverted to the position he held after being bested by Federer at Flushing Meadows."

Don't know about now, but back then he was 100% on drugs when saying Nadal is the best.

·
justice for all
15,193 Posts
Didn't Cokegassi say some time ago that Nadal was the best and then that Djokovic was the best (when he was his coach)?
He sort of struggles to keep consistency within two consecutive claims so I don't think he's the best person to give opinions on such topics.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I mean, it is understandable because the biggest beneficiary of this COVID-19 situation in terms of preserving GS records is Federer.

·
Your visions will happen
48,592 Posts
For those who don't know

Highest level for me Fed vs Agassi, Fed in prime form, Agassi still playing fucking amazing, even better than in 05 when he made the F

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
It seems as if Agassi is deliberately selling himself short and omitted some things in order to not challenge his viewpoint. For example, why would Agassi talk about their 2005 US Open encounter - a fairly tight match - when their 2004 US Open encounter was much closer and Agassi was seen as the better player by many observers? The data also shows that Agassi won the majority of points over Federer in that match. Another thing favouring Agassi was that he was 34 and Federer was 23.

Now, when he says that nobody stood out more than Federer from his opponents, is he excluding Nadal and Djokovic from this - players who have Federer's number? Otherwise, it would also seem to challenge his viewpoint.

But then again, as others have pointed out, he first claimed Nadal was the best ever. Later on, he claimed Djokovic was the best ever; now, he is claiming Federer is the best, suggesting that he praises them equally.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Agassi must have an agenda.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I mean, it is understandable because the biggest beneficiary of this COVID-19 situation in terms of preserving GS records is Federer.
How so? Wimbledon 2020 would have likely been his last chance to add to his Slam tally. Nadal and Djokovic will still be the favorites for Slams whenever play resumes, unless LostGen and NextGen come out of this completely transformed (highly doubtful).

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Ehhh, I think the GOAT is what this list tells me

That's an interesting site, but I wonder why it lists Laver as having won only 5 GS titles when he won 11. Are they only counting the ones won in the open era?

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
It probably became obvious and no doubt to Andre when Rog went far beyond what Andre himself did.
Andre won his last major at 33, had one final at 35, losing to the Swiss in 2005, and was finished a year later. Over a decade later, Andre predicted before the 2017 Australian Open that it would likely take at least a year for Federer to possibly return to a top level following his surgery and 6 months away from the tour in 2016.

So what happened that turned Andre's expectations on their head and reevaluate the GOAT question? Ranked 17 in the world, 35.5 year old Rog won that 2017 Australian Open, beating 4 top 10 players, winning 3 of them going the 5 set distance, and coming a break down in the decider to beat RAFA for the AO title. It was a huge match in the annals of tennis history. Ask any tennis historian. If that wasn't enough, Roger outperformed both significantly younger greats RAFA and Nole and everyone else in 2017 and early 2018 winning 3 out of 5 majors at the age of 35-36. Then in 2019, late in his 38th year, was only stopped by the Clay King in the Roland Garros SF after a 3 year absence there, and won a moral victory by coming within a few hairs of winning the 2019 Wimbledon final. :)

So, It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out why Andre changed his tune.
Of course, he might say something different in another 5 years. ;)

Obviously,
masterclass

·
Registered
16,350 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts