Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
justice for all
13,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find the video but here is an interesting article about the video chat between Roger and Guga in which the Swiss apparently says that:

"he's not motivated to practise at the moment" (unlike Nadal and Djokovic)

and

"it will be very difficult for him to play big tournament without spectators".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can't find the video but here is an interesting article about the video chat between Roger and Guga in which the Swiss apparently says that:

"he's not motivated to practise at the moment" (unlike Nadal and Djokovic)

and

"it will be very difficult for him to play big tournament without spectators".

good fishing (y) 😄🐟🐟
fish.PNG

·
justice for all
13,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inb4 bitter Djokotards make this all about them.

Ah, shucks, too late.

Stop obsessing about Roger's popularity, people. It's not healthy.
The funny thing is the most rabid Djokotards (like two who posted in this thread) always pretend to be fans of other players. Minority complex at it’s best.
On topic: Fed is right in a sense that the essence of every sport is to play for fans.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Federer is being very selfish. I am sure Roland Garros will not pay any attention to his needs (and thank goodness for that). US Open likely will not back down, either.

The fact of the matter is, most tennis fans cannot afford to watch tennis in person. How many watch it live, in-person? Maybe 1% or fewer? The other 99% watch elsewhere. If the essence is to play for the fans, then Federer should not just think of the 1% and neglect the 99% who cannot watch him in person.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
Will be interesting to see Fed without that crowd edge

·
Registered
498 Posts
Will be interesting to see Fed without that crowd edge
Federer without the crowd edge would have retired long ago. I say he will skip the slams if they take place this year. Roland Garros will surely not heed his comments. How often did he even play the French since 2015, just once? Federer is irrelevant and semi-retired on clay already.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's a rather strange notion of sports... as i would have thought it was for own enjoyment and to measure yourself with fellow competitors regardless whether there are fans or not.

I don't do my sport to entertain people..
Yeah, tennis is between two players on the court. Besides, 99% of fans do not watch tennis live, in-person. So...it is selfish as hell to suggest that only the 1% matter. If the essence is to truly play for the fans, then do it for the 99% who cannot get to watch you in person and are dying to watch you play. Federer wants the crowd support and adulation; not because he cares to play for anyone.

·
|
14,320 Posts
Tennis will be a lot easier without fans, because fans interrupt and delay the server consistently.
Imagine how much easier it will be to concentrate in the most crucial games of the 5th set.....
Also, the inexperienced guys will be less nervous if there are no fans.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Nothing new there, though, because we've already heard something similar a few times in the past several years, when Federer was talking about the possibility of his rubbers to be scheduled outside the centre courts and bigger courts.

But motivation is not the only problem in that case, playing on the outer (roofless) courts can be more difficult because of a substantially different court speeds from the centre courts and the possibility of a rain, and lower ranked players are better adjusted to those conditions than on the centre courts.

E.g. Djokovic was down 0:2 67 67 vs Anderson at Wimb'15 on the quicker outer court, and when he managed to come back and was favourite to win the fifth set, they cancelled it for the next day, so, well rested Anderson was able to get back in the saddle again.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That's a rather strange notion of sports... as i would have thought it was for own enjoyment and to measure yourself with fellow competitors regardless whether there are fans or not.

I don't do my sport to entertain people..
That's the essence of amateur sport. Professional sports are essentially part of the entertainment industry. Without entertained fans they cease to exist.

·
10,297 Posts
Dude all the professional players love playing in front of a crowd , how can your ego not like having 10,000 people watching your four hour battle?

Tennis means so much to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic because they are winning in front of thousands of live people. You get to lift a grand slam with people cheering , booing ,etc thats what they live for.

Its a neccesary thing to play without crowds, doesn't mean people will like it, including tennis players.

You have to remember that not only are these guys playing for themselves, but also the fans. They aren't joking when they say thank you to the crowds (except Medvedev US OPEN 2019 :LOL:) and how they want to come back next year to play again.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
That's the essence of amateur sport. Professional sports are essentially part of the entertainment industry. Without entertained fans they cease to exist.
If there is no fans they will go back to amateurs level but the sport itself will remain.

Last i checked, tennis players aren't clowns or comedians (well with some exceptions lol..). Tennis became an entertainment because of its success.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Sounds like Federer has lost the love for the game. It feels like Roger loves the business of tennis ($$$$) more than the game itself.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Inb4 bitter Djokotards make this all about them.

Ah, shucks, too late.

Stop obsessing about Roger's popularity, people. It's not healthy.
Them and Dulltards act like they don’t care that Fed is more popular but they do a piss poor job of hiding their jealousy. Kind of a given that Fed is more popular since he doesn’t exploit the rules, fake being humble, and actually plays tennis instead of relying on his speed and opponents errors to win matches.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts