Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swiss Tennis confirmed that Federer and Wawrinka will play against NED.
Also Nadal, Ferrer and F. Lopez play against Denmark.
Afaik, Nadal and Federer don't need to play to qualify for Rio.

·
Registered
21,640 Posts
Federer - Haase is the greatest match-up in tennis.

·
|
15,012 Posts
But Conchita Martinez has no experience in men's tennis, so I don't see why she should be DC captain.
Or are they choosing a new more qualified captain?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Are they only playing so they can enter the Olympics next year?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Fuck. I thought we had a chance with Fedrinka both skipping the tie in March.

·
Registered
21,640 Posts
Are they only playing so they can enter the Olympics next year?
Yes.

I'm glad that Federer and Nadal are playing, because taking a WC while they are more than capable of playing the required tie would have been gross.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
This just shows that Fed has given up on his career essentially. The way he talks in pressers reeks of loser mentality. He spends way too much time assessing and praising how his opponents played and how they were too good rather than being pissed about his own pathetic tactics. I think that shows on court with his lack of initiative in big finals.

He played like a coward for the most part against Faker at Wim14 and lost, never believed in himself that he could actually win it. At the time when I stated this, Fed fans gave me a hard time but I was right then and I'm right now and I hope Fed fans see it too. 2015 was even worse given that he was playing well and his FH seemed to click atleast a bit compared to 2014.

When a player starts playing these unimportant tournaments esp when you've checked them off your bucketlist then its the beginning of the end. He played Istanbul too with the explanation that he's the first to play it. What? Does he even want to win another slam or is he just gonna continue with these half-assed attempts at slams? Give your fans a break man!

Look I don't care if Fed loses another slam but after the match is over I wanna atleast feel that he threw the kitchen sink at his oppponent but it wasn't to be. He tried his best, that's all you can do. But Wim 14 and Wim15 esp the latter I don't feel that at all. This wasn't so much in say Wim 08 where he gave it his all against all odds.

As a fan, it's disheartening and pitiful to see him play this nonsense tournament for 2nd tier mugs. :(

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
good, us dutchies have no business being in the world group

·
Registered
894 Posts
Does Djokovic have to play DC to qualify for the Olympics or does he automatically get the spot as no.1?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
As the OP mentions, Federer and Nadal would have qualified for the Olympics without having to play in this Davis Cup cycle due to a technicality (check the clauses for the rules of entry into the Rio Olympics). I assume they are aware of it, but would rather be eligible by the normal method rather than raise eyebrows by cementing their place due to a rule that seems it was implemented just to ensure their participation at the event, regardless of the DC situation.

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
Does Djokovic have to play DC to qualify for the Olympics or does he automatically get the spot as no.1?
He played in the first tie this year against Croatia so he's good.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Afaik, Nadal and Federer don't need to play to qualify for Rio.
I think they did actually.

They didn't need to play 3 Davis cup ties in the 4-year olympic cycle, only two, thanks to the fact they had played 20 Davis cup ties in their carreer,

BUT they still needed to be present in one tie in either 2015 or 2016.

I had checked the rule on the ITF website :
DAVIS CUP & FED CUP ELIGIBILITY RULE – OLYMPIC TENNIS EVENT, RIO 2016
(excerpt from the Regulations)
1. ELIGIBILITY TO COMPETE AND CONDITIONS OF COMPETING
…………
iii) Is part of the final nominated Davis/Fed Cup team at the time of the Draw, and is present at the
tie, on a minimum of three (3) occasions in the 4-year Olympic cycle (from the conclusion of the
2012 Olympic Tennis Event until the beginning of the 2016 Olympic Tennis Event), provided that one
of those occasions is in either 2015 or 2016.

A player will be required to be part of the final nominated Davis/Fed Cup team at the time of the
Draw, and be present at the tie, on a minimum of two (2) occasions during the same 4-year Olympic
cycle, provided that one of those occasions is in either 2015 or 2016, if they are within the following
categories:
Length of Service: A player reaches the milestone of 20 weeks in their Davis/Fed Cup career (each
home and away tie and each round-robin event counts as a single week)
;
• Zone Group Round Robin Event: A player whose nation competes for four (4) or three (3) years in
the Zone Group Round Robin format with the remaining year/s in the home and away format.
When selected to compete in Davis/Fed Cup, the player agrees to accept the jurisdiction of his
National Association.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm glad that Federer and Wawrinka are both playing. There was some sparring through the media earlier this year about Davis Cup commitment; it's nice to see that it's resolved. These two have done so much together.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I think they did actually.

They didn't need to play 3 Davis cup ties in the 4-year olympic cycle, only two, thanks to the fact they had played 20 Davis cup ties in their carreer,

BUT they still needed to be present in one tie in either 2015 or 2016.

I had checked the rule on the ITF website :
I think there is an exception for previous Gold Champions
Plus the possibility of a WC

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
This just shows that Fed has given up on his career essentially. The way he talks in pressers reeks of loser mentality. He spends way too much time assessing and praising how his opponents played and how they were too good rather than being pissed about his own pathetic tactics. I think that shows on court with his lack of initiative in big finals.

He played like a coward for the most part against Faker at Wim14 and lost, never believed in himself that he could actually win it. At the time when I stated this, Fed fans gave me a hard time but I was right then and I'm right now and I hope Fed fans see it too. 2015 was even worse given that he was playing well and his FH seemed to click atleast a bit compared to 2014.

When a player starts playing these unimportant tournaments esp when you've checked them off your bucketlist then its the beginning of the end. He played Istanbul too with the explanation that he's the first to play it. What? Does he even want to win another slam or is he just gonna continue with these half-assed attempts at slams? Give your fans a break man!

Look I don't care if Fed loses another slam but after the match is over I wanna atleast feel that he threw the kitchen sink at his oppponent but it wasn't to be. He tried his best, that's all you can do. But Wim 14 and Wim15 esp the latter I don't feel that at all. This wasn't so much in say Wim 08 where he gave it his all against all odds.

As a fan, it's disheartening and pitiful to see him play this nonsense tournament for 2nd tier mugs. :(

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
I think Stan is going to play DC regardless -- he seems to miss playing it this year although I think the main purpose for the top players playing DC is for Olympics requirement though.
He obviously already regretted it during the tie against Belgium that he wasn't there judging from his Tweets on Twitter ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts