Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer in China to launch hi-tech tennis stadium

Bangkok: Non-stop Swiss Roger Federer landed in Shanghai Monday for a full day of ceremonial duties as he dedicates the new lotus-roofed stadium that will host the season-ending Masters Cup next month.

Only hours after lifting his 11th title of the season with a repeat victory at the Thailand Open, the world number 1 boarded an overnight flight to China for a full schedule of off-court activities.

The Nov 13-20 Masters Cup will feature the top eight players in the world in the ATP, based on results obtained during 2005.

Federer, who booked his own spot atop the field in July, heads to China with the season-ending world number 1 ranking sewn up for 2005 after another trophy week in Bangkok, where he beat Briton Andy Murray 6-3, 7-5 in Sunday's final.

"I want to defend my Masters Cup title - it's one of my goals this year," said Federer, who was hosting a dinner for Chinese government and tennis officials Monday evening.

The player's 24-hour visit to Shanghai was highlighted by the dedication of the Qi Zhong stadium complex, built in record time at an estimated cost of $200 million.

With the fast approaching 2008 Beijing Olympics an opportunity to impress the world, China's sport mandarins have spared no expense in turning out a state-of-the art facility on the western side of the metropolis of 13 million people.

He will return to Europe Tuesday to prepare for a season-ending run of tournaments - Madrid, his hometown of Basel, Paris-Bercy and finally Shanghai.

"I remember playing in Shanghai," Federer said. "The crowds were fantastic. I love playing in Asia and I look forward to November.

"It would be great to have a [regular season] Masters Series event in Asia. There are a number of them in Europe and North America, and it would be great for one of them to come over here."

Shanghai next month will be the two-time defending champion's fourth-consecutive appearance in the final after winning back-to-back in Houston in 2003 and 2004.

The player's lone loss at any Masters Cup came in Shanghai in 2002 when he was beaten by Lleyton Hewitt in the semifinals.

This is cool, but I hope it's not Indian Wells that goes over there... :sad:

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think in the next couple of years the atp need to look at a full rescheduling so more events are around the world, like Africa and especially Asia!!!

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
And If Federer played a tournament in South America he would say it would be great a Masters series there ...

When a player visits a country he always try to be pleasant making this kind of comments . I'm not telling Fed is a liar, because maybe he really would love a Masters Series in Asia, but i don't usually pay much attention to these comments because they are very opportunist.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Galaxystorm said:
And If Federer played a tournament in South America he would say it would be great a Masters series there ...

When a player visits a country he always try to be pleasant making this kind of comments . I'm not telling Fed is a liar, because maybe he really would love a Masters Series in Asia, but i don't usually pay much attention to these comments because they are very opportunist.

Totally agreed, it's funny to watch when a player wins an event it's all of a sudden the best event since slice bread, it's just being respectful to the event.

But i do feel Asia is a great market as the economy's are growing tenfold, and i think it's the same with most sport's they are trying to eploit the huge potential over there, the ATP would be stupid to not look into bigger events over there as the intrest is and will be bigger and will bring more talent from over that side of the world.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Galaxystorm said:
Besides Asia has the Masters Cup , which is more important than a Masters series

That's different though that event could be held anywhere, and that proves the intrest and potential over there as the organisers have invested lots of $$$ to bring an event like that over there. I think that a TMS on a yearly basis would be a huge success.

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
skel1983 said:
Totally agreed, it's funny to watch when a player wins an event it's all of a sudden the best event since slice bread, it's just being respectful to the event.

But i do feel Asia is a great market as the economy's are growing tenfold, and i think it's the same with most sport's they are trying to eploit the huge potential over there, the ATP would be stupid to not look into bigger events over there as the intrest is and will be bigger and will bring more talent from over that side of the world.
For example , 4 Masters Series in North American continent i think they are too many. Surely one of them should be moved to Asia.

I also consider that 3 clay Masters series in Europe are too many and it would be appropriate to move one of them to Argentina ...( According to my opinion Hamburg is the saddest masters series )

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Galaxystorm said:

True, but I do think he likes Asia. I've heard him and Mirka mention that in interviews before and I think they do vacation there at the end of the year - I think last year they went on holiday in the Maldives.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
skel1983 said:
Roger made these comments in China not Thailand. Of course if someone asks him should there be more events in Asia he's not going to say no. But I do think he's fond of Asia and Asian culture and that's why he chooses to vacation there rather than some place in Europe or North America.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Galaxystorm said:
For example , 4 Masters Series in North American continent i think they are too many. Surely one of them should be moved to Asia.

I also consider that 3 clay Masters series in Europe are too many and it would be appropriate to move one of them to Argentina ...( According to my opinion Hamburg is the saddest masters series )
Yes good point:

I think the two in March would be the best to move, i do understand these two TMS are big Indian Wells and Miami, so poosibly push these back to the slot's Cinncy and Toronto have (just a suggestion) then maybe have one TMS in China and the other in some nesrby country (otherwise to far to travel)

Also the clay point is a good idea, the big events need to be spread out worldwide, to climitize to the traveling i would say the third TMS in europe should be moved to South America where the surface and the tennis is dominated by Clay which would be great for the South American's to see players Like Roger, Hewitt, Safin and similar superstars on a yearly basis.

·
Registered
698 Posts
mirkaland said:
Roger made these comments in China not Thailand. Of course if someone asks him should there be more events in Asia he's not going to say no. But I do think he's fond of Asia and Asian culture and that's why he chooses to vacation there rather than some place in Europe or North America.

I wasn't being specific with Roger, he obviously loves Asia i was being more general when players win events it is funny when it sounds as if it's the best event ever, for that weekend only!!!

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
skel1983 said:
I wasn't being specific with Roger, he obviously loves Asia i was being more general when players win events it is funny when it sounds as if it's the best event ever, for that weekend only!!!
Yeah, it's true. When I saw Roger in Indian Wells he said that was one of the best ever, one of the biggest stadiums, blah, blah, blah. I'm sure he said the same thing in Miami too.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
There is no way players would go to China or Asia for one event then go back to Miami for that Master. All the events in the US would have to be scrapped to. Same with Hamburg. If they moved it to South America then all the players would go down there for one event then back to Europe for RG. I don't see that happening. There are some smaller events that might pop up more in the Asian and in Africa but of course that depends on the success of current smaller events.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
skel1983 said:
Yes good point:

I think the two in March would be the best to move, i do understand these two TMS are big Indian Wells and Miami, so poosibly push these back to the slot's Cinncy and Toronto have (just a suggestion) then maybe have one TMS in China and the other in some nesrby country (otherwise to far to travel)

Also the clay point is a good idea, the big events need to be spread out worldwide, to climitize to the traveling i would say the third TMS in europe should be moved to South America where the surface and the tennis is dominated by Clay which would be great for the South American's to see players Like Roger, Hewitt, Safin and similar superstars on a yearly basis.
Why couldn't they replace Cincy with a TMS elsewhere and have it at a different time of the year. Now that they have the co-ed Pilot Pen, they could move that up one week so there's still a week off before the US Open and maybe then bigger stars would play. Of all the Masters Series events in North America I would say Cincy is the lowest ranked/least important.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Cincy I think has been around longer than any of the big events in US. They will not move one master event in a country and have no smaller events near it to support it. The schedule will stay the same as it should.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I'm not as cynical as some regarding Roger's statement. He is also talking up an event on the continent of Africa south of the Sahara.

I may be reading too much into this but I think what he's doing is trying to move the tennis world from it's Euro-centric, American view and by doing so grow the sport. I know in the States the major players rarely ever go to the South American events dismissing them as something not worthy of their attention which is why some challenge Nadal's number two ranking. Some events may move from the States to other locales. So be it. Canada and Pilot Pen come close enough to the Open to count as warm ups and if Pilot Pen is moved up a week more top players would enter.

There are posters on MTF from all over the world and from places where there is no real organized tennis which means tennis has the chance to become a world sport close to the status of soccer if it would just open its eyes. Asia is the most organized continent right now in terms of attracting events.

Federer is in a position to do something as the best male tennis player on the planet and apparently he is not going to waste his time at the top.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts