Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the reasons Federer was always at a disadvantage to Nadal in clay courts was because of his backhand. It's was said his OHBH was at fault because it is much harder to hit shoulder high balls with it. While This seems to have no effect on Thiem who continues to defeat Nadal with his OHBH

·
Registered
509 Posts
OP obviously has no clue what hes talking about.

Roger had a priblem with high heavy topspins on his backhand when he had a SMALL racquet, after switching to 97 he has no problems anymore, takes it on the rise and crushes Nadal as seen in their many matches as of late.

Now to answer the question who has a better OHB:

Roger has a better OHB on faster courts when he is taking it on the rise and taking time away

Thiem has a better OHB on slower courts when he has more time to do that big takeback and loop he has and gets violent racquet speed and spin on it and crushes it

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thiem's backhand has been bullied by Rafa in the past, it's not invulnerable to moonballing. The difference between Thiem and Federer is that Thiem is far more muscular, allowing him to hit shoulder height balls more effectively and also to play from deeper behind the baseline without dropping his shots short. He simply hits his CC rally backhands much harder, preventing Rafa from easily dominating that diagonal. Thiem has also made a lot of tactical adjustments on his backhand wing to deal with Rafa, culminating in today's stunning performance. To quote my post in the match thread:

This was a tactical masterclass by Thiem. It was incredible how he completely neutralised both Nadal's offensive and defensive moonballing to his backhand, using a combination of his own high moonballs and perfectly weighted dropshots.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Even today he was struggling when Rafa managed to pepper his backhand. That forehand jumps up ridiculously high, something Federer drew attention to right after their 2004 Miami match. He thought this lad would win a couple of French Opens (he's won much more though).
Unfortunately or fortunately, Rafa's ground game is too weak right now to target Thiem's backhand consistently. Peak Rafa could do that, plus he had WAY better defense.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Apart from 1 or 2 matches, Federer ALWAYS played Nadal tough on clay. And he didn't lose because of his backhand. He lost because of Nadal's quickness, court coverage, and stretched passing shots. That is what negated Federer's attacking, all-court game.

Thiem has a solid backhand that he hits from very far back in the court and requires a lot of time. He has had success against Nadal on clay but this is a 30+ Nadal not the unbelievably quick early 20s Nadal. So it's not a very fair comparison.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'd give Thiem the edge personally, on lower bouncing courts Federer's is better, but on any other court I'd rather have Thiem's.

Federer makes up for it though with better tactics with his BH, but for the actual shot itself I'd say Thiem's is better.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
The Fed camp was using the 1HBH as essential proof of why the H2H is flawed because the match-up is so unfair and tailor made!

2017 Fed and Thiem are disproving that theory.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dull has been poor (by his own best ever on the surface standards) on clay since 2014. He’s been cleaning up through lack of competition.

Thiem is probably my favourite current player, he’s a good clay court player too, but if Djokovic has been in the game since 2016 and the Federer of 2007-2011 was still about then they’d both have beaten Dull over the last few years.

Testament to Dulls ability on clay and aura that he’s been cleaning up at about 70%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Being singlehanded is literally the only similarities between the two strokes. You couldn't find a bigger discrepancy on tour if you tried.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I always say 'One shot can't define you'. It's a combination of things. Fed tends to be too stubborn. I dislike that match-up with Rafa.

I also would not compare Thiem with Fed atm. I support Thiem but it's too early.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Mid 20's Thiem struggles against outdated Rafa in mind 30's , imagine the scenario

Rafa in early 20's and Thiem in Late 20's? and Federer in mid 20's and Rafa in early 30's? then you will understand what Federer went through.

Federer on all aspects of the game on all surfaces of the game is 10x better when compared prime vs prime to Thiem.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
No doubt that Thiem's backhand is a great shot, but it's not like he just defeated the peak version of Nadal on clay. I am pretty sure that Federer of 2005-11 would have no problem defeating current Nadal on clay.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Rafa is declined nowadays, even on 2017-2018 he is punishing Thiem's backhand.

I'm pretty sure Federer's old backhand is similar if not better, he had longer back swings too.

Thiem tends to hit to center to reset the rally. Grinder type. Federer lack a bit of grinding patience.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It‘s just not true that Nadal is particularly strong against OHBH on clay. Actually, he has prportionally much more losses against these players.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts