Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer turned around his Rivalry with Nadal at the 2006 French Open with a 6-1 opening set and nearly pushing Nadal to a rare 5th set. Before that match, Nadal had dominated their encounters and it looked like this matchup would prove to be very one-sided. Since then, the rivalry has been very even, with Nadal getting the better of Federer on clay and at the Australian Open, and Federer having the edge everywhere else.

Since the 2006 FO final, Federer's H2H with Nadal is:

9-12 overall
29-35 in sets overall
7-4 off clay
2-8 on clay
0-3 at Roland Garros
0-2 at the Australian Open
2-1 at Wimbledon
3-1 bagel sets

Federer famously struggled with great players like Agassi, Hewitt and Nalbandian in their early meetings, before eventually adapting a more successful strategy against them. He has also struggled at times against very quick baseline players such as Canas, Simon, and Murray. I think Nadal falls into both categories. I don't think Federer will ever come to dominate this matchup (except maybe as Seniors), but I think it's clear that Federer has learned to handle Nadal better over time. The two have played each other fairly evenly for the past 6 years.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Maybe my question could be stupid but I was asking myself why Rafa is dressed in a different way.
I don't think he had the time to remove his suit jacket because I guess the 2 pictures was taken in few time.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
^^ Oh yeah, AO 2009... what a tearjerker it was. :help: :sad: :hearts:

Luna, as for your question, Rafa dumped the sleeveless shirts around 2008 USO/2009 or so, if my memory doesn't fail me too much - he said that he'd wanted to have a more 'serious' looking outfit if I'm not mistaken, and as such dumped the sleeveless Nike garb and got a more 'mature' looking outfit in stead.
I will be last one to blame him for that decision. :)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Federer turned around his Rivalry with Nadal at the 2006 French Open with a 6-1 opening set and nearly pushing Nadal to a rare 5th set. Before that match, Nadal had dominated their encounters and it looked like this matchup would prove to be very one-sided. Since then, the rivalry has been very even, with Nadal getting the better of Federer on clay and at the Australian Open, and Federer having the edge everywhere else.

9-12 overall
29-35 in sets overall
7-4 off clay
2-8 on clay
0-3 at Roland Garros
0-2 at the Australian Open
2-1 at Wimbledon
3-1 bagel sets

Federer famously struggled with great players like Agassi, Hewitt and Nalbandian in their early meetings, before eventually adapting a more successful strategy against them. He has also struggled at times against very quick baseline players such as Canas, Simon, and Murray. I think Nadal falls into both categories. I don't think Federer will ever come to dominate this matchup (except maybe as Seniors), but I think it's clear that Federer has learned to handle Nadal better over time. The two have played each other fairly evenly for the past 6 years.
Update:

15-18 overall
44-53 in sets overall
13-8 off clay
2-10 on clay
0-5 2013 through AO14
5-1 since 2017
0-4 at Roland Garros
1-3 at the Australian Open
3-1 at Wimbledon

Well I was partly right 7 years ago. Except for a difficult 2013, Federer has turned the rivalry around. But I was partly wrong, because Federer has actually come to dominate the matchup off clay, which I doubted he would before the senior tour. Maybe I just expected them to be playing on the Sr. tour already.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Too bad Nadal isn't his main rival anymore. It's Djokovic and Federer is absolutely hopeless against him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts