Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I'm over the moon he's playing on clay in 2019!! He hasn't played on clay for a while and also now clay season won't be completely boring since he'll be there...

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I'm thinking that Madrid and FO are nice, but events like Monte Carlo and Rome are absolutely necessary, because if he wins one or both, it would be for the first time ever!!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Looks like Grandpa wants to accomplish his final mission - beating Rafa at RG. Good luck!

·
Registered
21,282 Posts
Hopefully it’s not farewell stuff but an actual decision to hopefully improve his ground game which seriously needs some work. That FH is not acceptable for someone who wants to win slams

·
Registered
728 Posts
On one hand I welcome this meanwhile on the other hand it seems like an unofficial farewell tour. Hopefully he will be back at the 2020 AO, and and it is great to finally see a member of the next Gen have a win over the big three at a slam.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
My conclusion of the matter is this, if this is Rogie's farewell, so be it, I'm satisfied with what he's accomplished in his career and I believe that he is too!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like a proper farewell plan to complete everything in schedule as much as possible while he can. I don't think he is expecting a big result again but as long as he's healthy, he will just enjoy the tour before he finally calls it quit. If there is no major win this year, he will probably end his career in YEC (if he makes it).

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Farewell tour confirmed.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Well his ground game can certainly do with some clay practice. Clay is the best surface to improve your ground game, and we all know that Federer's ground game needs improvement. I think Federer realises that too. No point in ducking clay anymore. He won't win anything on clay but his ground game will get better, which will improve his chances of winning hard court and grass court tournaments. Skipping clay is a failed experiment and I'm glad Federer finally realised that.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Sounds like a proper farewell plan to complete everything in schedule as much as possible while he can. I don't think he is expecting a big result again but as long as he's healthy, he will just enjoy the tour before he finally calls it quit. If there is no major win this year, he will probably end his career in YEC (if he makes it).
You realize he hasn't won a slam in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 and still didn't retire? So why would another such season change anything?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts