1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,530 Posts

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Hardly breaking news. He always plays this part of the DC.

Having said that: good luck, Belgium. :)
(we'll probably need it)

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
if he wants to keep them in World Group he'd rather play the first round tie so they dont have to play playoffs afterwards

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Federer dons his Superman cape to save the Swiss DC team and get them into the World Group.

Then decides how much he really loves Davis Cup and will find that all of a sudden the desire returns in the year which happens to have ranking points awarded for participation.

·
124,507 Posts
if he wants to keep them in World Group he'd rather play the first round tie so they dont have to play playoffs afterwards
Only been saying for that for the past 4 years.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Good. I think it should be mandatory that all top players play Davis Cup full stop.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
The points may be a motivation.

But I am sure the main and only reason is his wish to help his country. Besides, he normally plays DC, so no surprise here.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Federer dons his Superman cape to save the Swiss DC team and get them into the World Group.

Then decides how much he really loves Davis Cup and will find that all of a sudden the desire returns in the year which happens to have ranking points awarded for participation.
I'm sure you're gonna think I'm trolling again :)angel:) but the changes that have been made in the calendar were some he'd been asking for, so if he plays it won't be because of the points :shrug:

·
124,507 Posts
I'm sure you're gonna think I'm trolling again :)angel:) but the changes that have been made in the calendar were some he'd been asking for, so if he plays it won't be because of the points :shrug:
Well you are trolling, there will be points on offer, like I said, we all know what will count when it comes to DC from 2009, just be honest about it.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Well you are trolling, there will be points on offer, like I said, we all know what will count when it comes to DC from 2009, just be honest about it.
Why do you always assume the worst, maybe he just wants to help his country and now that the ties fit his schedule better he's just glad he can finally do that :)

·
124,507 Posts
Why do you always assume the worst, maybe he just wants to help his country and now that the ties fit his schedule better he's just glad he can finally do that :)
If he really gave a shit, he'd have played the 1st round ties, most of them were winnable. Get them through there and preserve WG status and not have to worry about playing play offs.

My main beef is this. Federer has said he cares about the history of the game. That's fine and all, but Davis Cup is a very historical event, so he uses that history line, when it suits him. I mean if he doesn't want to play, fair enough, just leave that other crap out of it.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
When was the last time Fed made himself available for a tie? Might the olympics also be a consideration this year? If he didn't make himself available last year, he had to this year or he'd be ineligible.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
If he really gave a shit, he'd have played the 1st round ties, most of them were winnable. Get them through there and preserve WG status and not have to worry about playing play offs.
He just wants them to finally make it on their own, like Kwan-Tzu said : "If you give a man a fish, he will have a single meal. If you teach him how to fish, he will eat all his life."
My main beef is this. Federer has said he cares about the history of the game. That's fine and all, but Davis Cup is a very historical event, so he uses that history line, when it suits him. I mean if he doesn't want to play, fair enough, just leave that other crap out of it.
But that's like...normal I mean history won't remember HE won DC but that Switzerland did :sad: how unfair really

·
124,507 Posts
He just wants them to finally make it on their own, like Kwan-Tzu said : "If you give a man a fish, he will have a single meal. If you teach him how to fish, he will eat all his life."
Not at all, they don't have the depth. He comes in and looks like Superman for getting them into the World Group, makes himself look good in the process. Then pisses off because he can't handle playing a weekend in Feb, which more than likely will leave him free for the rest of the year as the Swiss make the QFs.

In other words he basically doesn't rate their abilities, well they don't have a good number 2 without Fed. So he doesn't play, they lose surprise surprise. He can come in with his red cape and save the day.

Awwwwww.

But that's like...normal I mean history won't remember HE won DC but that Switzerland did :sad: how unfair really
Rubbish. Croatia won DC, but people know Ljubicic had a huge role in that happening. Every team has their leader and star player.

Rationalise it all you want, but the facts are, he plays when it suits him. He should just be honest about it and spare the bullshit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts