Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"Roger Federer may have hinted that he plans to remain on the ATP tour until 2022 at the very least after he was re-elected to the player council. Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray will also retain their places on the heavyweight line up.

There are concerns over Federer's long-term plans as he turns 40 next year.
The Swiss star is also suffering with one of the worst injuries of his career - a knee problem which has seen him sidelined since March.
Federer underwent surgery on the problem in hope he would be ready to compete in the 2021 Australian Open in January.
That Grand Slam has since been delayed by three weeks and will commence on February 8, but Federer will still be absent.

The 20-time Major winner has withdrawn because he is not yet full fit. He hopes to return for Wimbledon and the Olympic Games next summer.

It has been suggested that Federer may want to call time on his career by winning the elusive Olympic gold medal in Tokyo.
But his re-election to the player council might signal that he plans to continue playing until 2022 as that is when the next elections take place.
It is unheard of for a tennis professional over the age of 40 to be continuing to challenge for the biggest prizes in the sport.
There is also no precedent of a retired player sitting on the player council, especially not taking up one of the ranked positions.

Federer and Nadal rejoined the player council in 2019 because they were not happy with the direction which chairman Novak Djokovic was taking it in.
Djokovic has since resigned from his position and set up an independent body - the Professional Tennis Players Association - to fight for players' rights.
Many of the world's top players do not agree with the Serbian and they will be able to voice their opinions through their representatives.
Alongside Federer, Nadal and Murray on the council are Felix Auger-Aliassime, John Millman, Pablo Andujar, Gilles Simon, Marcus Daniell, Bruno Soares and Kevin Anderson."

My Take: I think Rogie will play at least through the end of 2022 now, until the age of 41, this would be awesome, although 2021 is the last year he can win a grand slam (W and/or USO, especially W), even in 2022 he can definitely win some smaller events!!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
It is unheard of for a tennis professional over the age of 40 to be continuing to challenge for the biggest prizes in the sport.
What unheard of? Dr. Ivo, who will turn 42 in Feb., 2021? He played AO and USO in 2020 and is playing 2021 AO qualifiers.

If you are playing grand slams, you are in contention for the biggest prizes.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the article said that, not me, but, FWIW, Dr. Ivo isn't challenging, Rogie's making the QF/SF/F, that's much more challenging than losing in round 1 or 2 like Dr. Ivo!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
What unheard of? Dr. Ivo, who will turn 42 in Feb., 2021? He played AO and USO in 2020 and is playing 2021 AO qualifiers.

If you are playing grand slams, you are in contention for the biggest prizes.
The serve is always the last thing to decline. Its all he has ever had, especially now. He must need the money. I can't think why on Earth he would continue to struggle in his 40s and make the sacrifices just to get beat after one or two rounds

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yeah the article said that, not me, but, FWIW, Dr. Ivo isn't challenging, Rogie's making the QF/SF/F, that's much more challenging than losing in round 1 or 2 like Dr. Ivo!!
It's different with Federer. Millions of dollars at stake for Federer. Why would he miss out on making money? He doesn't even need to make QF or win big titles. He only needs to show up on the court to make millions of dollars in endorsements.

The serve is always the last thing to decline. Its all he has ever had, especially now. He must need the money. I can't think why on Earth he would continue to struggle in his 40s and make the sacrifices just to get beat after one or two rounds
Read this 👇

Reactions: a1canada

·
Registered
569 Posts
If Federer is content to go down the Lleyton Hewitt path- ie being largely irrelevant for the last years of his career, he can play till 42 or 43 even!

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO, Rogie's last chances to win a grand slam are: 2021 W and 2021 USO (mainly 2021 W)... Yes he can play 2022 and beyond, but he won't win grand slams anymore, maybe a Masters 1000, mainly 250 and 500 events only, I'm hoping for one more WTF, but likely not!!

·
Banned
70,522 Posts
that means nothing, he can always give up his position there and retire

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
He'll surely want to play the next olympics for one last shot at the gold medal.

Or maybe he retires if he wins a slam this year (I know it's a big if) to end his career on a high note.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Good, I want Nadal to play Federer as much as possible to make up for Federer's recent wins.
Good, I want Nadal to play Federer as much as possible to make up for Federer's recent wins.
Nah,Federer will be skipping clay again when he returns so that door shuts.

Having him shore up another spot at the World Tour Finals again with the likes of Djokovic would be awesome once more.

·
|
15,325 Posts
Beating a 40 year old isn’t gonna make up for getting trashed by a 36 year old when 31.
Their ages mean nothing, as we saw at 2019 Wimbledon when Federer almost beat Nadal-Djokovic back-to-back.
Nadal saved Djokovic's life by taking Federer's best punches, and Federer still had championship points.

·
|
15,325 Posts
Nah,Federer will be skipping clay again when he returns so that door shuts.

Having him shore up another spot at the World Tour Finals again with the likes of Djokovic would be awesome once more.
Nadal can beat Federer at Wimbledon this year.
In 2019, Federer needed a tiebreaker to win the 1st Set, and then Nadal won the 2nd Set 6-1.
And Roig said they agreed that Nadal would return serve from close to the baseline, but in the match Nadal made the mistake of returning serve from far behind the baseline.
Nobody knows why Nadal did that, but I'm interested to see what happens if he corrects that strategic blunder next time.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Their ages mean nothing, as we saw at 2019 Wimbledon when Federer almost beat Nadal-Djokovic back-to-back.
Nadal saved Djokovic's life by taking Federer's best punches, and Federer still had championship points.
Uhh yeah because grass is Federer’s best surface and if he were the same age as Dull and Faker, he would’ve trashed them both in straights easily or maybe lose a set to Faker but that’s it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts