Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top seed Roger Federer made short work of Nicolas Mahut on his return to the Rotterdam Open.

The world number three broke once in each set on his way to a 6-4 6-4 victory over Mahut. Federer was appearing at the hardcourt event for the first time since winning it seven years ago.

The 16-time grand slam winner will meet Finland's Jarkko Nieminen in the quarter-finals after his scheduled second-round opponent Mikhail Youzhny withdrew with a foot injury. People following the in-play tennis betting odds will be keeping a close eye on the match.

Federer was happy to get back on track following his struggles during Switzerland's 5-0 Davis Cup defeat at the hands of the United States on the Fribourg clay last weekend.

"Any win is a good win. Frankly I'm glad to be in the quarter-finals. It's always tough to make the change from clay but after losing my last two singles matches a win is great," said Federer.

"I had to get used to the conditions quickly. It was a good start, I came through well, Nicolas is a tough player."

Meanwhile, second seed Tomas Berdych beat Czech compatriot Lukas Rosol 6-4 6-2 in his opening match.

The pair met just days after playing together for the Czech Republic in the Davis Cup and Berdych emerged victorious with a commanding performance.

Despite the win, the world number seven admitted he struggled to adapt to the change of surface.

"I'm satisfied. It was indoors but still a tough transition from Davis Cup," said Berdych.

"Our court was much faster with lower bounce. I didn't really have much time to train here. but I coped with it pretty well. I was able to find my rhythm quite fast and was able to play my game."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts