Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which record numbers will Federer achieve?

• 40 GS semis (4 more needed)

Votes: 72 72.0%
  • 50 GS quarters (6 more needed)

Votes: 66 66.0%
  • 80 GS played (takes at least until FO 2019 -- age 37)

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • 350 GS match wins (64 more needed -- 5 seasons at 13 wins per season)

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • 75 match wins at each GS (10 at FO needed plus a few elsewhere)

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • 60 match wins at WTF (12 more needed)

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • 70 hardcourt titles (12 more needed)

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • 750 hardcourt wins (117 needed)

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • 900 outdoor match wins (121 needed)

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Federer wil win his 20th Olympic match at Tokyo 2020

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Djokovic will surpass Federer in most stats listed above

Votes: 13 13.0%
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer & the unthinkable: 350 GS match wins, 40 semis, 50 quarters, 80 slams played

By continuing to play, Federer may damage several of his career statistics. But those are all relative ones, such as win percentages. His absolute stats, on the other hand, can only improve. Such stats include number of titles, finals, and match wins.

In fact, Federer already leads the Open Era, or even all of tennis history, in many of these stats. For example Slam titles, finals, most appearances in every round except the first (five behind Santoro), Slam matches won, and hardcourt Slam matches won. Furthermore he leads in outdoor titles (one ahead of Nadal), hardcourt titles, grass titles, most titles/finals at various slams (tied in most cases), hardcourt match wins, and probably soon outdoor match wins too. In other important tournament categories he leads WTF titles and match wins, Masters match wins, and Olympic match wins.

Despite having difficulty winning slams in the last five years, Federer is currently ranked #2 and remains one of the best players in the world, and continues to win a lot of matches. He has no major health issues and it looks like he still is motivated to play the tour for at least another few years. This means that some of his already impressive records could reach previously inconceivable heights.

Actually, Djokovic is the main threat to many of Federer's records. For example, when comparing them at the same age, Djokovic is currently well ahead of Federer in terms of number of slam SFs (3 ahead) and QFs (no less than 7 ahead). That shows why Djokovic is probably one of the best players of all time, even though he has been less efficient in the latter stages of slams than some others greats. Djokovic is also ahead of Federer age-wise in terms of Slam match wins, Masters match wins (by over 50), Olympic match wins, and very close in total match wins. Furthermore, if Djokovic beats Tomic at Wimbledon, he will tie Lendl at 48+ wins at each Slam, in second place just 17 behind Federer who is almost 6 years older. It will be interesting to see if Djokovic will have a similar longevity as Federer.

Note: Federer leading some hardcourt and outdoor stats has been helped by the elimination of many carpet and indoor tournaments. Otherwise Connors and Lendl would probably still have been ahead of Federer.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Re: Federer & the unthinkable: 350 GS match wins, 40 semis, 50 quarters, 80 slams pla

'Dull forum.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Re: Federer & the unthinkable: 350 GS match wins, 40 semis, 50 quarters, 80 slams pla

Sensible post/thread, quality stuff something MTF needs more

·
Registered
18,098 Posts

I think one he could well beat is Connor's 109 career titles, only 24 left. I know it sounds like a lot but Federer is still a contender for every tournament and I don't see that change any time soon.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

I think one he could well beat is Connor's 109 career titles, only 24 left. I know it sounds like a lot but Federer is still a contender for every tournament and I don't see that change any time soon.
:confused:

He is 34(almost)...has 2 years left at absolute best...and in an absolute best case scenario again he gets about 12 titles overall...6/year...100 itself is almost impossible unless he suddenly starts playing tournaments he's never played before.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts

Nice thread.

I would say:
40 GS semis (4 more needed)
50 GS quarters (6 more needed)
75 match wins at each GS (10 at FO needed plus a few elsewhere)

These for sure.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts

:confused:

He is 34(almost)...has 2 years left at absolute best...and in an absolute best case scenario again he gets about 12 titles overall...6/year...100 itself is almost impossible unless he suddenly starts playing tournaments he's never played before.
Do you really think the field will push Federer out of the top 10 in 2 years time? I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

Do you really think the field will push Federer out of the top 10 in 2 years time? I seriously doubt it.
Do you see him playing past 36 even if he's top 10? I am not so sure. Even if he give him 3 years, 24 titles isn't happening. Just too much.

What titles does Federer 2015 have a GOOD chance of winning?

I don't think Wimbledon makes the cut as he's done in BO5. Halle, Dubai, Basel, Brisbane, Shanghai, Cincinnati, Rogers Cup and possibly WTF..that's 7 tournaments at best...even if he wins all of them for the next 3 years he'll fall short....and he'll decline sooner rather than later at these events as well...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

1 - No
2 - Yes
3 - No
4 - No
5 - Yes
6 - Yes
7 - No
8 - No
9 - Yes
10- Yes
11- ...
12- Yes

·
Registered
18,098 Posts

Do you see him playing past 36 even if he's top 10? I am not so sure. Even if he give him 3 years, 24 titles isn't happening. Just too much.

What titles does Federer 2015 have a GOOD chance of winning?

I don't think Wimbledon makes the cut as he's done in BO5. Halle, Dubai, Basel, Brisbane, Shanghai, Cincinnati, Rogers Cup and possibly WTF..that's 7 tournaments at best...even if he wins all of them for the next 3 years he'll fall short....and he'll decline sooner rather than later at these events as well...
Yup, there's absolutely no precedent of players willingly retiring while they are still competitive at the top. I don't see Federer even considering until he fails to qualify for WTF, which doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon. Federer will very likely finish 2015 ranked top 3 with a few more titles, and it's not like there's a wave of new players who look ready to push him down :shrug:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Djokovic will be known as the modern day Jimmy Connors

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

I believe 812 is the ourdoor win record, he might get that. If he get 900, he might as well break the 1254 total match win record.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Dude!! Has Fed even won 4 titles in the last 2 seasons combined?? WTH makes you think he will win 24!!……even IF he played for 6 more years(!), he'd have to win 4 titles per season

·
Registered
10,853 Posts

Nobody thinks that Connors' 109 titles are within reach.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts

Dude!! Has Fed even won 4 titles in the last 2 seasons combined?? WTH makes you think he will win 24!!……even IF he played for 6 more years(!), he'd have to win 4 titles per season
He won 5 in 2014 (out of 11 finals), 4 already this year (from 6 finals) and counting. So yeah, 9 in the last 1.5 seasons. He will likely win one or two more this year at the very least.

I actually think bar injury Federer will beat this record, he's just not going to get pushed out of the top 10 any time soon. Federer won 73 matches and 5 titles from 11 finals last year; this year he's already on 35 wins and 4 titles from 6 finals. He's nowhere near done and isn't even in remote danger of going out of the top 5 atm

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

Its easy to overtake connors when he keep cleaning out 250 MMs. The problem is Federer like to play big and go for slams.

He can clear MMs at age 36-40.

Most players are an absolute joke for his talent.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

I'm a fedtard but honestly all these goals seem like a stretch. Depends on how long he will continue but if we say till 2016 wtf then he has 6 more slams to get most of these records in. That's a pretty close shave, and even slam quarters aren't really guaranteed anymore these days.

If he plays longer he might get there because even in 5 years he probably CAN still get QF/SF's at several venues. But I don't really think he will continue for that long.

I'm not sure how close Djoko is to Feds stats but I'll say it's unlikely he breaks any of the ones mentioned in the poll. Maybe he gets more wtf match wins as he should be somewhat close to Federer there, maybe?
EDIT: Read the OP a bit more thoroughly, sounds like he is closer than I thought. He might get there in some of these stats then, though I'm still not sure, kinda feel like his level could spiral down a bit quicker maybe. But not sure, he still has some time to go obviously.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Wimbledon will prove to be crucial. If Fed reaches the SF stage he MIGHT be able to reach another 3 in the next 5-9 slams. Five more QFs though seems already a bit tougher (it took him 10 slams to reach that feat lately).

Everything else except the 750 hardcourt and the 900 outdoor wins seems pretty much out of reach (even if he was to play till Tokyo 2020). And if the does reach those two numbers i see him reach the 100 titles mark aswell.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts