Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer the highest-paid athlete in the world

3K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  emily101 
#1 ·
#31 · (Edited)
Nope — nothing to do with the virus.

He made more sponsorship money than ever before. He jsut had a new Swiss sneaker brand deal among other things. All this helped to break his own one year sponsorship money record. That made the difference.

Speaking of which, now even uncle Toni has finally admitted that Federer is GOAT:

Reactions: The Federest
#9 ·
Federer's fans are going to truly regret ever calling Federer "GOAT".
Because if you claim GOAT is a legitimate concept, then you are almost certainly conceding GOAT to whomever passes Federer's slam record....
Whereas I've always said GOAT is a juvenile concept, impossible to quantify (comparing eras), and disrespectful to past legends.
I just think you guys have really set Federer up to be downgraded, when it could all have been avoided with some humility.

#15 ·
Nishikori still raking in $31 million for an average or even below average 2019.

#32 · (Edited)
Also Kei is below Nadal now
(for a short couple of years he had been making more money than Nadal — that streak has evidently ended).

#16 ·
Yep.
Also, there's that little thing about Alan Jones.
I don't know if you heard - but Federer was praising a proven bigot, racist, sexist, and alleged pedophile Alan Jones.
There's a video (deleted originally, but went viral) with Federer singing praises to this terrible person.

I don't know what particular trait of Alan Jones appeals to Roger - is it racism, or sexism, bigotry, or is it a combination of them - but Roger certainly didn't hide his admiration.

So, yeah... I'm glad Roger has a lot of money.

#35 ·
Cool achievement but the money distribution is seriously terrible. People playing a sport are making tens of millions if not more whereas people that protect the community and educate the community (teachers and police) don’t get jack shit.
In tennis, the governing bodies are richer than rich, because they made a lot of money based on the popularity of players like Federer who still carries the sport together with Nadal and Djokovic. Actually, even they are underpaid looking at the percentages tournaments give to players as price money. But the same governing bodies rely on them to save the lower ranked players even though they are sitting on millions of euros/dollars and are responsible for the sport in general.

But yeah, corona should really open up people's eyes about how we're dealing with money distribution and wealth in general. Although I don't mind entrepreneurs becoming rich, because they've taken a lot of risk to do so, there is nothing wrong with some kind of equality for the majority of people and it's up to the government to make that happen.

Take my country for example, one of the richest in Europe. But the government refuses to pay for its inhabitants getting the masks to wear in public transport which is a requirement next week. The prime minister even said people could make one themselves next to buying them. Meanwhile, all health insurance companies are multi billionaires and KLM gets four billion euros state aid as if it's nothing. So how rich are we really? Almost the same government and the current prime minister made a lot of health cuts and now they're cheering and saying all people working as a health professional are heroes. The same health professionals who said there is still a shortage of medical masks. But at least we're rich!

#18 ·
#23 ·
Another Turkish proverb:
"small kebab in the front, big kebab in the rear".
Not sure what it means though - don't speak Turkish.

#27 · (Edited)
And notice the phoney moralizing by Djoker and Nadal tards.

They never had any problem with income inequality of rich athletes until now.

Like as if their two faves earning $44M and $40M is somehow an "objective" representation of their economic value any more than Federer's bigger amount.

Reactions: The Federest
#36 ·
Nadal and Djokovic are tennis sportsman

Federer is an archetype of the upper class. Even when he stops playing he will still sell to that market. Moet, Rolex, Mercedes, Lindt, Credit Suisse, and so on and so forth, all these upper class brands. You will never catch Federer dead in a fucking KIA commercial like Rafa.

Jordan even to this day has the most lucrative brand despite retiring 20 years ago. RF may go the same way

#39 ·
Of course they only count active ones.

Otherwse the stats sheet will be too much full of retired millionaires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.