Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger Federer says he is now targeting Olympic Gold after winning his third title in a row by at Indian Wells on Sunday.

Many had previously written off the Swiss maestro after he failed to win a Grand Slam in 2011, but he started 2012 in fine form, reaching the semi-final of the Australian Open in January and has now backed that up with three consecutive tournament victories.

The 30-year-old wrapped up the Indian Wells by beating home favourite John Isner 7-6, 6-3 on Sunday to claim a record fourth title in California.

Isner had come into the final full of confidence after beating world number one Novak Djokovic but couldn't match the 'Fed Express'.

Federer is understandably delighted with his recent form and says he is pleased to prove his doubters wrong.

"I've really played amazing these last three matches in particular. I couldn't be more happy. They were really great wins," he said.

"I was able to come through, and so convincingly at the end is amazing. I've really played amazing".

The 16 time Grand Slam winner has now compiled a 22-2 record in2012 and has now won 15 games in a row since his last defeat, which ironically came against Isner in the Davis Cup. This has led to him being tipped to add to his record this year, but there is one title he is more focussed on.

Despite all his success, Federer hasn't won the Olympic title with his best finish in the competition being fourth place at the Sydney games in 2000.The Swiss star says that although winning in London will be tough, he feels he still has the game to compete as he is currently the form player in the men's game.

"I am playing well and I have won six of the last eight events I have played" he added. "To win the Olympic gold. Why not, right? But it is going to be lot of hard work."

Written by Phillip, a fan of tennis and tennis betting.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts