Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/federer-still-fears-difficult-beat-nadal-french-145256621--ten.html
Federer said he believed that Nadal was still the man to beat on the red clay of Roland Garros, along with the in-form Serbian world number one Novak Djokovic.

"At the French Open, Rafa for me is still the favourite alongside Djokovic who has been playing so well.

"Even though his (Nadal's) form is not as good as in previous years, I still believe when the French Open rolls around he is going to be very difficult to beat," he told a news conference in Istanbul.

Federer, 33, is himself looking for his own form on the slower clay after a long hard court season, having lost in the third round to Gael Monfils at the Monte Carlo Masters this month. But he said the Istanbul event was ideal for his preparations.

"It's about getting used to the sliding, deciding how aggressive I want to play," said the world number two.

"I have been on hard courts for seven-eight months so it needs some adjustments.

"My game is going to get better and better as we move along."
Federer, who so far has been unable to add to his sole French Open win in 2009 and won his last grand slam at Wimbledon in 2012, acknowledged that this year's French Open "is clearly a big goal of mine".

"But to play well at the French Open I need confidence. I hope that I can pick that up in Istanbul."

- 'Go into overdrive' -
Good guy Federer.

·
Banned
56 Posts
well of course he is going to be difficult to beat
duh , thank you captain obvious

still , the gymnast is the the favourite
can't imagine anyone taking 3 sets from him , even Nadal

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
well of course he is going to be difficult to beat
duh , thank you captain obvious

still , the gymnast is the the favourite
can't imagine anyone taking 3 sets from him , even Nadal
I'd like to see Novak prevail but Nadal remains a fairly heavy favorite. Djokovic might not even get to the final.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
"this year's French Open "is clearly a big goal of mine".
:spit: :superlol:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
this year's French Open "is clearly a big goal of mine"
Wimbledon is going to be another big goal. And then US Open is going to be another big goal of yours.

Boring. Boring interviews Roger. Yawn.

"But to play well at the French Open I need confidence. I hope that I can pick that up in Istanbul."
He needs to go to an ATP 250 event to pick up confidence for RG? :rolleyes: So, what is he going to do at Masters 1000 events, Madrid and Rome, between Istanbul and French Open? :scratch:

Anything for the publicity and to keep his tards interested.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd like to see Novak prevail but Nadal remains a fairly heavy favorite. Djokovic might not even get to the final.
:spit: Have you watched tennis at all this year?

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Wimbledon is going to be another big goal. And then US Open is going to be another big goal of yours.

Boring. Boring interviews Roger. Yawn.

He needs to go to an ATP 250 event to pick up confidence for RG? :rolleyes: So, what is he going to do at Masters 1000 events, Madrid and Rome, between Istanbul and French Open? :scratch:

Anything for the publicity and to keep his tards interested.

Well Federer is not so lucky as Djokovic to play in 2rd with #78 and in 3rd with Haider Maider and in QF with Cilic who played his only 4 match of the year. Did you see what happen to Djokovic in Toronto last year when he played Monfils in 2rd and Tsonga in 3rd ? Djokovic was out and he only at 27 not at 33. Now you should shut up your mouth or think before say something stupid.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Federer's arrogant statement from the same interview.

"Number one was a big deal and I decided I wanted more of it... I am happy I took that decision otherwise I would have many regrets. I just have minor ones."

LOL...he took a decision to become number one????....are you kidding...mr federer?
Was that some thing you can choose to become number one....lol.

Now ..mr federer you need to reveal what exactly you did to become (choose to) number one.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Federer are hopping that Nadal win because if Nole wins RG he will probably beat the 17 GS titles of Federer.
I agree. Not only that, federer started a campaign this year saying he is the second best clay courter while ignoring Nole's clay court success.

Nole might not have won French Open...but he is far better clay courter than federer.

That's the reason federer want Nadal to win FO. If Nole wins FO....nobody can question on the fact that Nole is the second best clay courter.

Federer's cunning tactics, lol.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What have I done. :scared:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I'd put Nadal as a slight favorite, but not heavy. It also seems to me like Nadal is more prone to an early round loss than Djokovic, especially if he comes into RG in poor form.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The problem with RG and Nadal is that you need 3 SETS to win the match, when Nadal loses 1 set on a Masters, 500s or 250s on clay the other player mind completely focus on playing on a high level for the next 40-60 minutes. In RG if you ever take 1 set off nadal you need to do it again and then yet again to win the match. It seeems so easy if you put it that way but nadal stamina and high clearance style of play plus climate conditions and Philippe chatrier space makes this an impossible task just ask Roger and Novak.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I know this place has a fair amount of conservative, anti-jinx, 'preservative' thinking....but to suggest that Nadal is a heavy favourite in any regard is just wrong. He may be *your* fairly heavy favourite, which is fine, but on the betting markets from which the term "favourite" derives, he isn't. People/companies betting with actual tradable commodity (ie. money :) ) have the odds as:

*The* favourite, is currently Djokovic by some way.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Well Federer is not so lucky as Djokovic to play in 2rd with #78 and in 3rd with Haider Maider and in QF with Cilic who played his only 4 match of the year. Did you see what happen to Djokovic in Toronto last year when he played Monfils in 2rd and Tsonga in 3rd ? Djokovic was out and he only at 27 not at 33. Now you should shut up your mouth or think before say something stupid.
if you listened to your own advice you wouldn't be speaking nor typing.

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
Federer's arrogant statement from the same interview.

"Number one was a big deal and I decided I wanted more of it... I am happy I took that decision otherwise I would have many regrets. I just have minor ones."

LOL...he took a decision to become number one????....are you kidding...mr federer?
Was that some thing you can choose to become number one....lol.

Now ..mr federer you need to reveal what exactly you did to become (choose to) number one.

Since you're unfamiliar with the term, it was a goal he set himself. He gave it his best shot and didn't succeed. He's still happy about trying as otherwise he'd regret not doing it. Same way Djokovic is probably happy about having winning RG the past few years as a goal despite not managing to do so yet.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts