Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer Sets Sights on World No. 1 Spot
Wed March 5, 2003 10:19 AM ET

ZURICH, Switzerland (Reuters) - Switzerland's Roger Federer is aiming to become world No. 1 in 2003 but realizes that he must win his first grand slam to do so.
"I am getting closer to the No. 1," Federer said in an interview with Swiss daily Blick on Tuesday. "But I am conscious that I need to improve my results in the grand slam tournaments.

The 21-year-old, who has won in Marseille and Dubai this year, is ranked fourth in the world behind Australian Lleyton Hewitt, American Andre Agassi and Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero.

His quarter-final appearances in the French Open and Wimbledon in 2001 are his best results so far and he knows he must go further in the big tournaments to achieve his goal.

"I am working very hard and my dream will always be to be world number one, it is what I've always dreamt of. I think I can hold the position after Wimbledon."

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Way to go Fed! Set them goals high..I know you'll reach #1 soon enough. :)

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I always worried when Rogi get over confidence. This becomes a bit scary. The only thing I agree is if he wants to be #1, he needs to win a GS.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
It's a nice goal, but perhaps he should realize it in 2004. I don't think he can do it this year.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Good for you Rogi! U know what you want, and if you could only sustain your winning streak and form and keep the consistency and confidence up, then perhaps... Oh but, I want Marat to grab the top spot first:p

·
Registered
370 Posts
I can't imagine anything worse than Heeweee, KF and Pottobeing 1,2,3. Oh yes.Dick number 4 and Greasy number 5

·
Registered
370 Posts
but of course at the end o this year KFC and Potato will be down in the lower tens with Peeweeeee where they belong:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts