64% first serves in
92% first serve points won
65% second serve points won
No break points
Never taken to deuce
Holds to 30: 8
Holds to 15: 18
Holds to love: 15

Thanks to Valzy on YT for some of the stats.

Must be so intimidating to face that - you can't even get close to a BP, and if you somehow hold on for 6 service games, you face one of the best TB players ever.

Can Mannarino and his excellent RoS make a difference? The Frenchman is converting a stunning 66% (19/29) of BPs!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,612 Posts
hmm a commentator said only John Isner's serve hadn't been broken once during the tournament.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Yes, he's been botting like a madman again. Incredibly yawn inducing performances. Don't think he'll get broken until the final.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Zero break points is awesome!!
I think he won Cinci 2012 without conceding a single break point.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I dont think it will hold...unfortunately the opponents till now are trash returners.

But i hope it does hold till end of Wimbledon. Otherwise exposed in final again.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Mannarino has an excellent backhand return.
Federer needs to be serving to his FH most of the time.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Great stats, no problem can be found.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Federer only got broken once before the final at Wimby 2014, once before the final at Wimby 2015, twice before the final at USO 15, and only lost one set before the 2016 AO SF. So he had these performances before.

His serve is effective against players who can't return, but not nearly as effective against players who can return his serves deep and hard and accurately, like Nole can.

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
Federer only got broken once before the final at Wimby 2014, once before the final at Wimby 2015, twice before the final at USO 15, and only lost one set before the 2016 AO SF. So he had these performances before.

His serve is effective against players who can't return, but not nearly as effective against players who can return his serves deep and hard and accurately, like Nole can.
Ahhh.. That explains the result of Wimby 2012 match between them

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Ahhh.. That explains the result of Wimby 2012 match between them
That was played indoors. Indoor conditions are far different from outdoors Wimby. Nole's movement and defense were also taken away from him and he was falling down a million times.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

This Nole useless though, grunting so tired when hitting rallies and returns. He has no chance against Federer in the final.

Federer is more worried about Potro and Nadal playing baseline with him.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
He looked awesome in 2014 and 2015 before the W finals and then the returns started suddenly landing around his feet...
True. I remember in 2015, he was rolling. Straight setted Andy in the SF. That said, I feel he has learned a trick or two down the line / gotten better with the big racquet, whereas I feel Nole is a notch below his previous level. We'll see... We're not close to the final yet anyway.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
He looked awesome in 2014 and 2015 before the W finals and then the returns started suddenly landing around his feet...

That was played indoors. Indoor conditions are far different from outdoors Wimby. Nole's movement and defense were also taken away from him and he was falling down a million times.

Both of these posters are very correct. Fed's form prior to wimbledon final esp against nole is irrelevant BUT a large part of this is due to his horrid ground game in 2014-2015 and tactics of serve and volley via edberg effect.

In 2012 fed had a forehand still and served well and still novak pushed him to 4 sets and was close I think to winning the 3rd set on some break points that novak kinda missed on second serves more than normal.

However, 2018 will see how current fed's serve on a hot 80 degree day if it is in fact against nole would be handled as the court will play faster than any match prior on grass but have a truer bounce so almost like dubai/shanghai kinda speed or just slightly less. Nole is back in form i believe but his serve is not quite what it was in 2014 and esp 2015 due to changed form and federer lets be hones returned HORRIBLE both of those matches and once any rally started it was a lost point for fed more or less.

Also, fed is playing differently than 2014-2015 where he tried to serve and volley nole due to edberg tactics which cannot work on nole in this era of grass courts.

Bottom line: Nole has the mental edge against fed in a final at wimbledon PERIOD as he has beaten fed last 3 slams. HOWEVER... this is all pre injury fed... Fed overcame nadal not through serving out of a tree but a better baseline game off the backhand.

I pick Nole in 4 sets if he were to meet fed who may come in looking unbeatable. Fed has to "earn" a win over nole in a slam like he did over nadal before any logical person can tip the hat for him over nole in slam BO5 regardless of form.

I am not quite sure they both get there as i can see fed losing to monfils/anderson or robot before the final. Nole has it easier to the semis and i think should beat nadal or del po.

If that forehand we saw against struff comes back for fed in a final against nole with fed's current backhand I would say Nole in 5 60/40 but if fed goes back to his regular regulation forehand its 80/20 nole in 4 sets since there will be no rain or roof closing the day of wimbledon final and nole with the dry grass will be able to defend to his near max level as the grass will not be slippery on the baseline.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You people are posting this under the assumption that Nole is at or close to his 2015 level.

He is no where near that. Otherwise he would have had little problem breaking Edmund earlier when his first serves in were in the 40s. I mean, the guy lost to Cecchinato only a month and a bit ago in a GS ffs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts