Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sorry if already posted!

Federer fine with length of season

Don’t count on Roger Federer to join in on the chorus of complaints about the length of season. He’s fine with the way the schedule is and thinks it’s up to the players to manage their schedule correctly in order to avoid injury and burnout.

“It’s better to have too many than too few tournaments,” Federer said. “The season cannot be too long when Andy [Murray] requested a wildcard. I think he knows not quite what he wants.”

Zing! I guess you’re on your own, Andy.

Federer’s comment comes after several other top players have voiced concerns with length of the tennis schedule. From the Associated Press:

“Murray, Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick have been among the most vocal in urging changes to the packed tennis calendar and the number of events the top players are required to enter each year.

Last November, the ATP decided to extend the tennis offseason from five to seven weeks in response to years of complaints from players about the length of the season and the toll it takes on their bodies.

But other issues came to a head during the rain-soaked U.S. Open, when Nadal, Murray and Roddick voiced concerns about the conditions of the courts and the schedule that forced Nadal to play three matches in three days.

Since then, Roddick has pushed for the creation of a players’ union similar to those in other major pro sports that could act on players’ behalf in negotiations with ATP officials.”

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Not surprising at all. Federer was always known of reasonable schedulling, so he doesn't complain about anything.
Having an effortless game also helps, unlike vast majority of the tour who has to grind every single point.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
and he's right

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Well it does seem a bit hypocritical to complain about season lenght etc. when you're playing exos and accepting wild cards.

Federer has always managed his schedule well, if you don't feel that you're up to playing you can simply cite an injury and not play :shrug:. Sure, you'll get a zero-pointer but he's thinking about the long run.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
After he turns 31 he'll be allowed to skip all the Masters 1000 if he wants to.
Why wouldn't he be fine?
Hasn't Fed played more matches than just about anyone else currently on tour? So it's not like he hasn't played 12 full seasons and waited until he was almost 31 to think it was fine.

Reactions: timafi

·
Vault Hunter
6,521 Posts
I don't know. Maybe you should ask him.
I agree with the players who want a longer off season because I don't think it's fair for the women to have two months off (when they play best of 3 sets all year), while men can only have a couple of weeks.
when you complain about a long season and only "a couple of weeks" off then you should spend those couple of weeks resting and not travelling all over the world playing exos :rolleyes:
Players who complain about the length of the season should learn to do a proper schedule and rest well when possible.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Ha ha...sooo funny from a guy who plays exh in Abu Dhabi and with Sampras all the time...it takes people for fool or what ??
He skips several tourneys every year (Halle or Stockholm or Bercy, or Asian tour) and is never able to respect the schedule he prints in press at the beginning of the year...ha ha sooo funny this Swiss guy

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Federer is right here. The schedule as a whole needs to be restructured, but you shouldn't be complaining about it if you play exhos and accept wildcards.

It's all about the benjamins in the long run.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Ha ha...sooo funny from a guy who plays exh in Abu Dhabi and with Sampras all the time...it takes people for fool or what ??
He skips several tourneys every year (Halle or Stockholm or Bercy, or Asian tour) and is never able to respect the schedule he prints in press at the beginning of the year...ha ha sooo funny this Swiss guy
Clearly your understanding of the language fails you at the phrase "managing your schedule". Let me attempt to explain it in words of less than one syllable: If your body says it needs a rest or has niggling injuries to be looked after, then you don't blindly go ahead and play a match, even if it was on your schedule. One also has to respond to the demands of one's body as it ages: can you make your comment about the years when Fed won 90+ games? duh

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Clearly your understanding of the language fails you at the phrase "managing your schedule". Let me attempt to explain it in words of less than one syllable: If your body says it needs a rest or has niggling injuries to be looked after, then you don't blindly go ahead and play a match, even if it was on your schedule. One also has to respond to the demands of one's body as it ages: can you make your comment about the years when Fed won 90+ games? duh
Managing your schedule means a schedule that your body and age is ready to match with, not a too ambitious schedule....the contrary of Federer's schedule at the beginning of the season. It's totally useless to put Halle or Asian tour if he knows he won't play there, some of his fans buy tickets to see him and he finally W/O....
In France we have an expression "Avoir les yeux plus gros que le ventre" which fits Federe's schedule

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Yup, Fed plays exhos but he doesn't have a problem with the schedule. I get the feeling Andy wanted to take on Basel to continue his run of momentum, and in order to do that he had to contradict his own words. I wouldn't call it accepting wild cards as if he does it all the time, this was a one-off probably to play against Nole and Fed while his form is red-lining. His injury put pay to that anyway.

Of course Fed is correct, and it's nice to hear his honest thoughts.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Managing your schedule means a schedule that your body and age is ready to match with, not a too ambitious schedule....the contrary of Federer's schedule at the beginning of the season. It's totally useless to put Halle or Asian tour if he knows he won't play there, some of his fans buy tickets to see him and he finally W/O....
In France we have an expression "Avoir les yeux plus gros que le ventre" which fits Federe's schedule
So you really think he schedules the Asian tour knowing he doesn't intend to play it? Same thing applies to Nadal and Paris? I guess you absolutely are always able to do everything you plan to every day, every week, every year, even when you schedule it 12 months ahead. Your life must work totally different to everyone else's - not a hitch, not a blip.

Managing, btw, does also encompass the act of making sensible adjustments

·
Registered
14,454 Posts

Federer won more than 90 matches per year exactly ONCE in his entire career. :rolleyes:
And while Federer is of course right re: Murray (you shouldn't request a WC, play exhos and then complain about the length of the season), I think that Nalbyfan has a point when he says that Fed didn't manage manage to play a full schedule and had to skip tournaments to "schedule wisely". ATP calender needs to be changed and if Fed thinks otherwise, he's wrong.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts