Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/16/roger-federer-novak-djokovic-weigh-best-five-debate-7845386/amp/#click=https://t.co/y0pUAwy33Z

See 1.45 for Federer’s thoughts

See 3.00 for Djokovic thoughts

This interview was done after their R2 win at Cincy.

I’m glad to see Federer think BO5 is the way to go and I absolutely agree that some masters or at the very least WTF should have BO5 as well, and it gives a slam a different feel. Great opinion to me.

However it is truly disappointing to see Djokovic think slams should be BO3. Its not the first time he says something controversial that I don’t agree with but I’m truly shocked that even he supports this BO3 notion. Really shocking.

Few weeks ago, Murray supported this BO3 argument as well which is of course disappointing to hear as well. Andy Murray - Best-of-five sets at Grand Slams "not good" for tennis

It’s really concerning to me that even the elite players are supporting this BO3 notion and with the constant talk about it, I’m afraid BO5 may be gone soon

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Bo3 should be for the first two GS rounds only, without tb in the third.

I'd stop watching slam matches the moment they introduced Bo3 in every round as I already skip many masters matches of my favorites, and would watch the bo3 GS finals only.

·
justice for all
13,091 Posts
Yeah, it's a shockingly bad opinion from faker. Changing grand slams into B03 format would ruin 50 years of Open Era slam history!

Looks like faker just randomly says what's best for him at that stage of his career (his chances in B05 format with questionable stamina are much lower than in B03) without and deeper thinking about the integrity of tennis as a sport and it's history. Very disappointing, thanks OP for revealing it.

·
justice for all
13,091 Posts
BO3 Grandslams? :scared:

The day that happens is the day I will stop watching tennis. "But we have to think about the poor Snapchat generation. They can't focus on one thing for more than 5 minutes :baby:" :rolleyes:

Djokovic: "We have to keep matches short and quick" "but no shot clock" :weirdo:
He is not consistent even within the same interview. I once thought he was a smart guy but now this casts in doubt his intelligence...

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
As far as I recall, Fed said certain finals could be Bo5, like the finals of the world tour finals. Simillar to what it was when he appeared on tour.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I'm fully with Federer on this one. On the Slam being BO5 I mean. As for Masters and the WTF, I would put WTF SF and F BO5, while RR would still be BO3. Masters should stay BO3 and represent the highest "BO3 prizes".

You are getting payed very very freaking much, it isn't suppose to be "easy for the players", tennis isn't being played for the players, it's being played for the fans. I would surely not respect Slams nearly as much if they were BO3. What's the difference between USO and Indian Wells then?

On his point that "young fans want things very fast" well screw them! Not that I'm old or anything, but if I have to be younger than 20 for my opinion to be considered, then I'll just stop watching and won't introduce my future children to tennis. If they want it fast they can watch ALL THE OTHER TOURNAMENTS on the tour and we can at least have 4 a year.

TBH this is probably the dumbest thing I have heard Djokovic say in my whole life. He usually has a point, but this is total crap from him.

On a side note, using terms like "faker" in threads like this should really be banworthy. Can we please, I mean PLEASE have at least some threads relieved of BS like that?

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is not consistent even within the same interview. I once thought he was a smart guy but now this casts in doubt his intelligence...
Well he’s known to be a bit crazy at times so not surprised to see such contradiction lol.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Bo3 should be for the first two GS rounds only, without tb in the third.

I'd stop watching slam matches the moment they introduced Bo3 in every round as I already skip many masters matches of my favorites, and would watch the bo3 GS finals only.

NO, just NO. No best of three in the majors at all. This is all about the women trying to stop criticism for the fact that they only play best of three. I have no problem with women playing best of five from the last 8 to the final in the majors. No need to change the way the men play in the majors. The majors are supposed to be special. If they are best of three then they are just like any other event. I can't believe Murray and Djokovic are in favour of best of three in the majors. Looks like these guys are not as smart as I thought, and don't respect tennis history. It's a shame really.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I just think the 5th Set should be ended differently at Slams instead of making players play on and on. That has to be very hard on the players.

·
Banned
584 Posts
For the mass audience and tennis business Bo3 is much more attractive.
The first 3-4 rounds at GS in Bo3 at sounds reasonable. That will lighten up the schedule, so more matches at big venues and less simultaneous matches - > more money for tourneys and TV.
Also we can actually see some HIGH LEVEL tennis and upsets in early rounds and better quality in later rounds as players will be more rested.
Really, asides from few hundreds nerds at MTF, who wants to see Federer, Djokovic and Nadal thrashing some clowns 2 & 2 & 2 instead of 2 & 2. As if it changes anything :lol:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I just think the 5th Set should be ended differently at Slams instead of making players play on and on. That has to be very hard on the players.

Most people would be in favour of a tiebreak in 5th at 12-12 or 10-10. Nothing wrong with that. Best of three however is non-negotiable. It does not make sense at all.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

If I was a pro tennis player, I would be very much against 5th sets in Slams being decided by tiebreaks. To have a 4 or 5 hour match decided by a few points in a TB....there's no way I'd ever want that. If I put my heart and soul into a match, I'd only accept defeat by being beat by 2 games. Not by 2 points. Imagine you make a run all the way to the finals of Slam, and then to lose a slam on a couple lucky shots in a TB. no way.

But then again, maybe some players only care about money, and they get paid the same whether the match is 2 hours or 7 hours. And to them, staying healthy is more important than winning.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
If I was a pro tennis player, I would be very much against 5th sets in Slams being decided by tiebreaks. To have a 4 or 5 hour match decided by a few points in a TB....there's no way I'd ever want that. If I put my heart and soul into a match, I'd only accept defeat by being beat by 2 games. Not by 2 points. Imagine you make a run all the way to the finals of Slam, and then to lose a slam on a couple lucky shots in a TB. no way.

But then again, maybe some players only care about money, and they get paid the same whether the match is 2 hours or 7 hours. And to them, staying healthy is more important than winning.
If I were a Pro tennis player staying healthy would be very important to me. They need to be healthy to play. Tennis seems to have more and more injuries all the time now.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts