Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
10,443 Posts
Somewhat surprised Federer admits this. He knows better than any of us mere mortals just how great Rafa and Djokovic are. Federer could have admitted this years ago though.

Wasnt a given even 2 years ago. End of 2017 was probably the best feeling as a Federer fan. He was in amazing form, even in 2018 he won AO.

Probably only after his sobering loss to Djokovic and Nadal winning US Open that he probably could really accept his fate.

Reactions: Fedjokodal

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
PRbotting is annoying. Why not just admit you hate to see your reccords shattered and will do everything in your power to prevent it?
what’s wrong with being the third greatest tennis player of all time? I would be pretty ecstatic if people regarded me as the third greatest attorney that ever lived by the time I retired

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
Not sure why Djokovic is considered to be odds on favourite to catch Fed.
He can have a 2 slams year for the next 3 years and there you go.
Not gonna exerting himself to the max like in 2015, granted he is not that young anymore to be able for that anyway.
He can peak for just 2 slams and Wawrinka will be retired by the time it will really start to count, the only player who can be really dangerous to him on a hardcourt.

You are just too pretentious, last year if Novak wasn't injured and out of form, he could have won a 3rd slam, even if he underperformed in Masters...

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
He can have a 2 slams year for the next 3 years and there you go.
How many multiple slam years past the age of 33 have there been? Just the one from Fed. Fed's only won 4 slams past the age of 29. Even though Djokovic has equalled his total after 30, Djokovic is still three behind, and is still behind Federer at Equivalent ages. Fed had 16 by the age of 29. Djokovic is 4 years behind Federer at equivalent ages.

I just don't see it happening.

Nadal already has 5 slams after 30 and is still one behind. He's 3 years ahead of Fed's pace. It remains to be seen whether they will continue to play as well as they have been.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Well played, Humblerer.

Secretly he knows as well as anyone else, that it's all down to this year. And personally, physically, he knows what winning a slam after the age of 35 really takes.

But publicly, sure, he "assumes" those guys will win multiple slams in their mid-thirties. I mean, he expects them to, so they will have had to screw up badly if they don't manage it, that only stands to reason.

In terms of shifting the pressure of expectation to the opposition, that was a clean backhand topspin winner.
Pretty much this. Fed seems pretty strong in mental games recently, has he hired Tio Toni? Maybe Rafa didn't pay his uncle at all so he decided to search for a better job.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
It remains to be seen whether they will continue to play as well as they have been.
Doesn't matter who is with how many behind or so, only this counts.
How well they are able to play in the bigger scheme of things, based on the performance of the last years.
Granted, we cannot extrapolate that for the next let's say 4 years, because a career-ending injury could happen anytime.
Still, we can see trends and I was referring to those. Even those trends could be misleading. We better wait a few months... (*like the Big3 changed our perception e.g. how we view post-30 top players etc.)
I have a deep feeling that 2020 will be crucial for the Big3, after a great start.

·
External factor expert
4,170 Posts
It doesnt matter to me who ends up on top, I will always see them as the big 3 who elevated tennis into new heights.
Its pointless to discuss who is truly the greatest of all time when they are not that far apart. It will be determined by luck who gets the edge in the end.
I dont want luck to play any role when it comes to greatest player of all time. I for once hope we can put our bias aside and see the bigger picture here.
I love Federer and Nadal just as much I hate them.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Still, we can see trends and I was referring to those. Even those trends could be misleading. We better wait a few months... (*like the Big3 changed our perception e.g. how we view post-30 top players etc.)
The current trend, is that for the first time, a player not born in the 80s won 2 sets in a GS Final. That to me suggests that at least Medvedev is not far behind the big 3 and that the big 3 are not as strong as they once were. How much of the Big 3 domination since 2017 has to do with the Big 3 and how much has to do with their competition? Of the 12 slams, Fed's won 3, Nadal 5 and Novak 4.

Their longest prior stretch of dominance was 18 slams, from FO 2005 to USO in 2009. They had 11 from 2010 AO to USO 2012 (which Murray won), 2009 was the last time Nole and Dull didn't win a combined 2 slams.

Reactions: The Federest
21 - 37 of 37 Posts