Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Via www.twitter.com/SI_BTBaseline:

Federer: "I think I'm playing extremely well. If it's the best of my life, I'll never know. We'll all never know."
:facepalm: We do know Fed. The best in your life was around 2006. This is not it. You did just lose to Isner last month on clay & lost in a slam semi. 2006 Fed would be steamrolling opponents.

Other presser excerpts:

Fed says he's been playing "extremely well" since RG. Says ppl don't give him credit for his form b/c he didn't win the tourney.
"It's amazing...Starting in Basel, I have won six out of eight. It's pretty extraordinary." -Roger Federer on his recent play.
Perhaps there was no credit for post-RG play because you lost to Tsonga from 2 sets up; Djokovic from 2 sets up; Tsonga at a Masters series and I can't even remember who Fed lost to in Cincy so I find it hard to believe he was doing "extremely well". Have to hand it to him though - the guy has self belief and confidence and it does him good.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Perhaps there was no credit for post-RG play because you lost to Tsonga from 2 sets up; Djokovic from 2 sets up; Tsonga at a Masters series and I can't even remember who Fed lost to in Cincy so I find it hard to believe he was doing "extremely well". Have to hand it to him though - the guy has self belief and confidence and it does him good.
That's precisely his point. People don't give a crap, because he lost in the semis against Nadal. Who cares if he won 6 out of 8 tourneys. It's unfair, he's doing what's he doing, at the age of 30, that's really almost unprecedented. I already have him as the second best 30+ player of all-time behind Agassi, and if he wins another Slam, i'll have to rank him at nr. 1, because even though Agassi won what, 5 slams past 30, i don't think he ever played on that level. We should be really, really impressed with Roger. That's some scary consistency, and level of play from a 30 and a half year old tennis player.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Is for good press to keep generating interest on tennis.. You think people want to hear I'm nowhere near my 2006 level?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
He really is playing great tennis. In some aspects, probably even better than prime Fed. He just doesn't move nearly as well and that is probably the #1 most important factor in tennis today.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Federer is done

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
I already have him as the second best 30+ player of all-time behind Agassi
Ahead of Jimbo? No.

Sampras?

You'd be comparing a win and a final at the USO. Fed has a SF at the USO, and a SF at the Australian Open.

WTF + Indian Wells + Dubai + Rotterdam + Basel + Paris.

Is all that worth a slam title at the USO?

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I love how people fall in the same trap every time (media spin on empty words). Let's wait and see what was the question and what Roger actually said.
I can imagine it went somethig like: "how far are you from your best?" and Fed saying something like "Maybe I'm playing my best tennis right now, who knows?" just to get rid of the question.

3,728 Posts
federer is the best 30 year old level of tennis ever

i know someone is going to bring up rocket
and tilden
and pancho

and those points are valid- but i think fed 30 yrs vs agassi/laver/big bill 30 yrs

fed wins imo

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's precisely his point. People don't give a crap, because he lost in the semis against Nadal. It's unfair, even though we used to see him steamrolling opponent. At 30, we should be really impresses, everybody should be really impressed.
Yes but I disagree that he's been playing great since RG. His RG form came out of nowhere and then he lost in the Wimbledon QF - that is a bad result for him. He then didn't get good results in the HC Masters and had another shocker at the US Open. It's impressive for a 30 year old but by Fed's standards those were not results people were going to write about - and certainly not when Novak was winning everything...

His post-Basel run has been commented on a lot though and he was joint favourite for Aus Open by some; favoured by a lot to beat Rafa in the Aus Open semi etc. He didn't get credit before winning the titles because relative to say Djokovic or Nadal he wasn't playing that amazing and wasn't even making finals.

For a 30 year old it's impressive but no way is this the best he's ever played. He's much more serve reliant now than he used to be in my opinion.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Better competition than in 2004-2007 and he is still winning titles left and right. In some ways he's right.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
People in denial.

'But, but...2006?!'

The man even says himself that he is playing as well as he ever has. Coincidentally, this comes out the same day that I make precisely that point.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Better competition than in 2004-2007 and he is still winning titles left and right. In some ways he's right.
Now that Fed is having his own mini streak, I wonder if people at this forum will keep up with their nonsense about how Fed only won because his era was weak.

3,728 Posts
safin ao 2005 would triple bagel nadal and djokovic back to back right

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Federer playing really well.

In his prime movement was the biggest difference along with more power and pop and spin on his forehand. His backhand is better now I dunno but he was able to run around it enough and it was still solid shot. I think he copes with nadal topspin to his backhand better now than in his prime. His endurance, focus, and recovery were much better. Also his second serve had a lot more kick back then and his first serve i think was a touch better esepcially at clutch times. His return was even more amazing and he was very very tough to ace.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
safin ao 2005 would triple bagel nadal and djokovic back to back right
Not a chance in hell. I have no doubt a red hot Safin would be extremely competitive, but let's not get crazy. Djokovic played better tennis in 2011 than Safin ever has.

·
29,645 Posts
Not a chance in hell. I have no doubt a red hot Safin would be extremely competitive, but let's not get crazy. Djokovic played better tennis in 2011 than Safin ever has.
No he didn't. No way. He played steadier tennis, but not better aggressive tennis.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.