Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Italian journo told Fed -after reading his interview on Siwss media- that there are a lot of Italians waiting in Rome to teach him Italian, to cook Italian food, asked that if he is coming to Rome? Federer had a good chuckle, and said "I've already played a lot of tough matches, and it is going to continue next week. I really don't know at this point, but this year pretty much I chose Istanbul over Rome. So.."

It seems, he is not going to play Rome even he fails to go deep in Madrid. Limited clay season for Fed, right decision imo.

Also regarding my question about possibility to face Kyrgios in R2 of Madrid, "I'm big fan of his game, unbelievable power. We practiced together at the RG before. He has so much talent. I hope he works hard and fulfills his potential.

I think he is also playing SF right now, 3rd set i believe. Obviously i will have one more day rest, has to win R1 first."

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Re: Federer: I chose Istanbul over Rome this year

I think he's prioritizing rest for RG over preparation, which might be the right decision given his results in BO5 recently have been dictated by stamina and a general flatness (although credit to Cilic and Seppi for playing brilliant matches).

A RG semi would be a great result for him.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts

Source?

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts

Excellent scheduling, if true.

Gotta be careful of that rank though, Fed.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Fed should not push himself hard. He ain't winning the RG anyway. Focus on grass

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Istanbul paid him $2m for a quick semi-exhibition week, Rome pays nothing.

Not just about that. You saw Diego,Guevas,Traver playing such a good tennis but you will not see them in MS 1000. I do not know why. But they like to play those small events more.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,570 Posts

Excellent scheduling, if true.

Gotta be careful of that rank though, Fed.
he lost in R3 to Chardy last yr and R4 of RG. Not many pts to defend

·
Registered
5,886 Posts

Federer is really only concerned about Wimbledon and money now.

Offer Rogie enough dosh and he will rock up anywhere. He might even be the unnamed 'celebrity' who is due to open the new hairdressers at the bottom of my street this week.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

Istanbul paid appearance fee, Rome as Masters 1000 tournament doesn´t pay + it´s before RG - and Roger at his age need as much time to rest and prepare for RG as he can get so this Istanbul over Rome choice is very logical if we look at this from his perspective.

Also i believe Roger´s only motivation to play more events - and Rome itself would be if he was chasing No.1 but he is not, Novak´s lead is huge and Roger knew very well his limits and how important is good schedule, so there is really 0 point for him to play Rome, just like Novak didn´t need to play Madrid considering his options, for some people this choices might be weird, Roger prioritizing Istanbul over Rome or Novak skipping MAdrid, but really those choices are very logical

·
Registered
15,787 Posts

"I chose money over tennis this year"

·
Registered
767 Posts

i think he will change his mind quickly after the early loss at madrid.
this and I hope because he won't make it far in madrid

1 - 20 of 80 Posts