Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone saw the interview on ESPN2? He was interviewed by Chris Evert and Chris McKendry.

Fed said that his weakness (backhand) improved by itself and will get better eventually because most players are feeding "thousands and thousands" of balls on that wing. He said that he focus more on his strength on training.

What's your opinion on that revelation?

P.S. He said he's rooting for the New York Giants to win the Super Bowl. He's following NFL. lol

Hakeem
What is the issue here? Why work on your weaknessses more than your strengths especially when the issues you have are minuscule overall. Your strengths are what wins you matches/titles so why not hone them?

Fedull forum.
Just stop your shit already. Can you enjoy tennis overall for once? Pathetic Rafatard. Seriously, 334 posts in nearly 5 years with like almost all of them just being useless comments only lurking to + rep Rafatards and - rep non-Rafatards.

Registered
Just stop your shit already. Can you enjoy tennis overall for once? Pathetic Rafatard. Seriously, 334 posts in nearly 5 years with like almost all of them just being useless comments only lurking to + rep Rafatards and - rep non-Rafatards.
I enjoy a forum that is uncluttered with troll threads about washed up players.

Do not quote me again unless you wish to apologize.

Hakeem
I enjoy a forum that is uncluttered with troll threads about washed up players.

Do not quote me again unless you wish to apologize.
Useless poster.

Registered
Easy to say for federer. His 'weakness' is a strenght for most players lol. His backhand is solid enough for any player, not exactly a weakness to me. But he's right and should work on his strenghts

Registered
So one of those weaknesses he keeps ignoring is choking against Nadal?

Registered
Who are we to argue with him. He has gotten 16 slams using that method, so he can kind of do whatever he thinks works.

To most mortals though, working on your weaknesses seems to make a little more sense.

Hakeem
Who are we to argue with him. He has gotten 16 slams using that method, so he can kind of do whatever he thinks works.

To most mortals though, working on your weaknesses seems to make a little more sense.
If they are terrible and lose you matches yes. However, if you are in the top 100, it is because you have strong strengths and are using them properly. Pointless to improve your weaknesses more than your strengths IMO. There is no player that doesn't win titles maximizing their strengths.

Premium Member
Anyone saw the interview on ESPN2? He was interviewed by Chris Evert and Chris McKendry.

Fed said that his weakness (backhand) improved by itself and will get better eventually because most players are feeding "thousands and thousands" of balls on that wing.

What's your opinion on that revelation?
I heard this from him before, in a Credit Suisse video (he's sort of relating success in tennis to success in business, which is maybe a bit :rolleyes: -- but anyways...). (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8h35oYvFoc)

He said: "I have always believed in my strengths -- whether in tennis or in my personality -- and I strive to improve them. Many people always feel like they have to work on their weaknesses. I don't know about the business world, but in tennis, working on your weaknesses may make you a complete player overall, but it will eliminate your dangerous edge. And I think you can occasionally relate to that in some businesses as well. That's why I like to work on my strengths."

I kind of thought he meant that since he's an aggressive player that succeeds through winners and going after the point (rather than a defender who waits for errors from others), that he needs to work on the things that make him effective. :shrug: It sort of makes sense.

Registered
If they are terrible and lose you matches yes. However, if you are in the top 100, it is because you have strong strengths and are using them properly. Pointless to improve your weaknesses more than your strengths IMO. There is no player that doesn't win titles maximizing their strengths.
I don't know about that. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

I have never heard, in any sport I've ever played, someone suggest "work on your strengths, and ignore your weaknesses." Granted I've never been top 100 (an arbitrary cutoff in my opinion) in any sport obviously, but still, that doesn't seem to make much sense. Your weaknesses don't simply get better by only working on them during actual matches.

If it works for Roger, great for him. But I will not be teaching my son that rule.

(As an aside, Roger's backhand cost him several RG titles. So maybe he is fallible/incorrect?)

well federer weakness would be 99% of the tours strength

and..... the only reason the shot looks bad is because his forehand is the greatest shot in history

i remember when mcenroe said henin had the est 1 hander technique in either mens or womens game

and all i could think of was- if henin had federer's backhand technique should would have won the calender grand slam

if federer;s bh was really that bad it wouldnt be just nadal beating him at roland garros

Registered
if federer;s bh was really that bad it wouldnt be just nadal beating him at roland garros
It's not that bad at all! It is better than 99.99% of backhands that exist. Like you said.

Relatively though, it is one of Fed's weakest shots (perhaps his weakest), and it happens to match up terribly against Rafa, especially at RG.

Registered
Easy to say for federer. His 'weakness' is a strenght for most players lol. His backhand is solid enough for any player, not exactly a weakness to me. But he's right and should work on his strenghts
This.

There's one thing he can do. It's neither a strength nor a weakness.

His success more so than strengths and weaknesses, will involve defeating his opponents ASAP.

In other words he can't go the distance in many of these matches. He'll want to defeat Djokovic in 3-4 sets if he wants the title.

So his ability to finish matches will be arguably one huge component of his strategy, outside strengths and weaknesses.

Hakeem
I don't know about that. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

I have never heard, in any sport I've ever played, someone suggest "work on your strengths, and ignore your weaknesses." Granted I've never been top 100 (an arbitrary cutoff in my opinion) in any sport obviously, but still, that doesn't seem to make much sense. Your weaknesses don't simply get better by only working on them during actual matches.

If it works for Roger, great for him. But I will not be teaching my son that rule.

(As an aside, Roger's backhand cost him several RG titles. So maybe he is fallible/incorrect?)
That is exactly my point. This has nothing to do with youngsters, non-pros, etc. If you are there at the top, it is because of your strengths, therefore you continue to build of them. Of course you don't want to ignore your backhand, but when you only have so little time in your life and you are at the top of the sport, I think it is much wiser to build on your strength to further extend your maximum form than build on your weaknesses and get a "less worse bad form."

Registered
Greek philosophers and Chinese thinkers have nothing on Federer.:worship::worship::worship:

Registered
Federer doesn't have many weaknesses.

It makes sense that he continues to improve his strength, or at least maintain them. Serve, Forehand, volleys.

Registered
see this thread http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=184369

in 2009: "I have never believed in working on my weaknesses. My serve and my forehand are my strengths and I work on them to get better".

in 2011: "In tennis working on your weaknesses makes you an overall complete player but you won't be dangerous anymore".

so the fact that he says it again in 2012 comes as no surprise i guess.

it does make you wonder though. perhaps if stubborner had worked on his left wing a bit more he wouldn't have lost so many GS finals to pocahontas....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts