Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not understand why people cannot see that today's games are much more faster than the old eras. Okay, I admit that for the offense, it has been helped a lot by the racquet technology. But for the defense part, how can Sampras can bear up with today's fast shot. Today's games are much more athletic.

Another interesting thing is how people here care so much about that ridiculous exhibition. Wimbledon 2001 has showed that who is better, and if Sampras cannot beat Federer that time, how can a much older Sampras wins over much more improved Federer if Federer plays his best.

And to anylyze the Wimbledon 2001 in details. You should give more credit to Federer. In my opinion, the factor of being unmature has much more effect than the factor of passing the peak. You can see apparently that players tend to have good results at the end of their career than at the beginning despite the fact that at the end of their career, they have aged. I do not want to embarass my favourite player, but one of the examples was that Paradorn Srichaphan even had taken Nadal out of Wimbledon in some year (I cannot remember the year).

Come om, Pete's Fan. Let's face the truth...even Federer cannot be secured to be the best of all time as long as human continues to live on this earth (maybe until the global warming destroys everything)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Are you kidding me ?

Sampras just won the last meeting at 35 years old and according to you Federer is better than him :cuckoo: . You can not be serious , troll

The truth is : Pistol Pete >>>> Ballet hero

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Are you kidding me ?

Sampras just won the last meeting at 35 years old and according to you Federer is better than him :cuckoo: . You can not be serious , troll

The truth is : Pistol Pete >>>> Ballet hero
LMAO you're taking an exhibition seriously. Troll. :lol:

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
everyone knows federer is greater than sampras, no need to remind us once again :wavey:

Reactions: guga2120

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Greater at the night-pot maybe?! :)

Reactions: A_Skywalker

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
:yawn:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I can't believe they are taking exhibitions seriously too

Federer is overall player better than Sampras, but we will never know who would win more against each other.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Federer is much better than Sampras tenisticment, about this there is not doubt.

Reactions: Dirk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
people take what they read on these forums way too seriously

GOOO Pete!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Is there really need for another thread like this..? You can´t compare different eras, it´s as simple as that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well all I know is Fed is a more complete player than Sampras ever was and you just can't take exhitions that serious. I don't even think Fed tried that hard and still won 2 our of 3. Now Sampras...he's the one who had the energy and didn't have a schedule like Fed to play as hard. I think too Sampras obviously still has skills.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I do not understand why people cannot see that today's games are much more faster than the old eras. Okay, I admit that for the offense, it has been helped a lot by the racquet technology. But for the defense part, how can Sampras can bear up with today's fast shot. Today's games are much more athletic.
Today's "fast shot"? What kind of nonsensical terminology is this? Is this something a little voice in your head told you?

Hasn't anyone noticed that 9 out of the 10 top players today cannot volley to save their lives?

Haven't you ever seen Boris Becker? Only Nadal today is anywhere near as athletic as Boris was in his prime.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Haven't you ever seen Boris Becker? Only Nadal today is anywhere near as athletic as Boris was in his prime.
Players are athletic in different ways. Federer for one is quicker than Becker and he and Davydenko can both change direction at the baseline quicker than Boris. For sure Becker can do the dives and is happy to throw himself around.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Players are athletic in different ways. Federer for one is quicker than Becker and he and Davydenko can both change direction at the baseline quicker than Boris. For sure Becker can do the dives and is happy to throw himself around.
In terms of brute strength, quickness and endurance I would go with Becker over Federer. But the beauty of Roger's game is that he doesn't have to be like Becker. Federer is the tennis version of Gretzky - mentally he's far ahead of his opponents, which allows him to be an economical mover. Becker was never the smartest mover.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
In terms of brute strength, quickness and endurance I would go with Becker over Federer. But the beauty of Roger's game is that he doesn't have to be like Becker. Federer is the tennis version of Gretzky - mentally he's far ahead of his opponents, which allows him to be an economical mover. Becker was never the smartest mover.
brute strength = :yeah:

Endurance? Well, we don't get the chance to tell. Federer has played 5 setters and come through them fine even during defeats and he always looks very fit to me. I mean the same goes for Becker but this point is redundant if both are fit enough to come through matches as longas they are realistically likely to be.

Quickness? I disagree strongly, Becker has a better build for a sprinter and his top speed would be higher but Federer accelerates quicker and that is more important on a tennis court for me.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
brute strength = :yeah:

Endurance? Well, we don't get the chance to tell. Federer has played 5 setters and come through them fine even during defeats and he always looks very fit to me. I mean the same goes for Becker but this point is redundant if both are fit enough to come through matches as longas they are realistically likely to be.

Quickness? I disagree strongly, Becker has a better build for a sprinter and his top speed would be higher but Federer accelerates quicker and that is more important on a tennis court for me.
Again, my point is in terms of the total package. Taking those factors together I would lean towards Becker.

I have nothing against Federer's athleticism.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts