Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Sampras take a wildcard to wimbledon 08'

• YES. This dude should do a rocky, adriaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • NO, The possibility of the 1st rnd clash against Oscar hernandez is too risky.

Votes: 26 51.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-7096910,00.html
The ego king as spoken.

Federer says Sampras would still be top five player
By Hsu Chuang Khoo
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 22 (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer said Pete Sampras would be ranked in the top five if he was still a player.
The American, who retired after capturing the last of his record 14 grand slam titles at the U.S. Open in 2002, proved that he was still a force to be reckoned with in an exhibition match against Federer on Thursday.
Although Sampras lost 7-6 7-5, his blistering 210 kph first serves impressed the Swiss.
"It was very difficult to read his serve," said Federer, who is two grand slam titles from equalling Sampras' record.
"I think if he was still playing he would be a top five player."
Sampras, however, has no plans to make a comeback at 36.
"No. It's a tough lifestyle and I'm happy with a great wife and great two kids relaxing in Los Angeles," he told reporters.
Sampras, retired for five years, brought back memories of his no-nonsense style of play during the match and later lamented the demise of serve-and-volley tennis that he put to such good use over the years.
"Serve and volley is extinct," he said.
"In my day we had some great serve-and-volley players. There was myself, Stefan Edberg, Boris Becker, Goran Ivanisevic and others.
"But with the size of rackets getting bigger, junior players these days are only taught to hit the ball as hard as they can. There are some players who come in but they are not natural serve-and-volleyers."
The match in the Malaysian capital was part of the country's 50 years of independence celebrations. (Writing by Nazvi Careem; Editing by Sonia Oxley)

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Exhibitions aren't really good for measuring the level of the game. If Sampras can play a tournament like Kooyong then his good form might actually mean something.

Reactions: Marek.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Exhibitions aren't really good for measuring the level of the game. If Sampras can play a tournament like Kooyong then his good form might actually mean something.
You mean like how Roddick's did? :D

·
Registered
7,266 Posts

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
This is Federer's backhanded way of dissing the other players in the top 5.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A year or so ago, another player (not sure who, maybe Ginepri after their exo?) said that Sampras could hold his own with any of the current top 10 except for Federer in a one-off match. I think that's what Federer is saying: Sampras is on the same level as any of the top 5, for a single match. Currently, I believe whole-heartedly that he could reach the top 25, or maybe top 20 over the course of a year, but not the top 5. I mean, Ivo has almost 0 Grand Slam points, and he's near the top 20. Surely Pete could win a couple rounds everywhere but Paris...

But, for one match, I'm sure he could have a shot at Davydenko or Djokovic, or Roddick (beat him in a 2 set exo last year, you all remember) or maybe even Nadal (though not sure about that). He is still serving at 135 and he volley's much better than anyone around. As you all have already said, the movement is suspect. That's the big difference.

But, the toughest argument for Sampras not currently being a top 5 player is that he wasn't his last year on tour. Going into the U.S. Open, I think his record was just over .500 (20-17)...So over an entire year, I don't think he could put together top 5 results, but I'm sure he could win a few matches against top 10 players...

·
Registered
110 Posts
i think you guys are reading to much into these exho let it go sampras is way past it and anyone thinking he actually has a chance to be ranked in the top 5 hahahahaha is delusional.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love the fact that Sampras mentions the great serve and volleyers of the 90's, but neglects to mention the best pure volleyer of the players of the late 90's - his rival Pat Rafter. :devil:

Coincidence? I think not.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I love the fact that Sampras mentions the great serve and volleyers of the 90's, but neglects to mention the best pure volleyer of the players of the late 90's - his rival Pat Rafter. :devil:

Me neither. Rafter actually had better volleys than Sampras. But his serve was nowhere near as good, so it didn't show in a normal S&V. But I do remember Pat could do just anything at the net.

As for Federer's comment, I believe it's just a matter of courtesy. Or, perhaps the ego thing because of the close scoreline :devil:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

I was going to say . . .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wasn't Agassi near that level when he was in this mid 30's?

I don't think Federer was saying Sampras could accumulate enough points to get to the five, but rather he can still play top-5 tennis.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Me neither. Rafter actually had better volleys than Sampras. But his serve was nowhere near as good, so it didn't show in a normal S&V. But I do remember Pat could do just anything at the net.

As for Federer's comment, I believe it's just a matter of courtesy. Or, perhaps the ego thing because of the close scoreline :devil:
Rafter was one of the best volleyers of all time. Pete^s overall game thogh was superiior to Rafter^s. I thought Rafter came to net too often and not always wisely. Is it not possible that, on a given day, Sampras is capable of palying outstanding tennis? He admitted that he is not up to the grind of tournament play. But I think, that on a given day, Pete has a good chance of beating any 2-10 ranked player, except on clay.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts