Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
MELBOURNE, Jan 7 (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Kooyong Classic, the warm-up event for next week's Australian Open, because of a stomach virus.

In a statement, the Swiss said he had to miss the event in order to recover in time for the defence of his Australian Open title at Melbourne Park.

"After arriving in Australia last Friday, I came down with a terrible stomach virus on Saturday and it continued to get worse over the weekend," Federer said.

"After trying to practise on Saturday afternoon, I went to see the doctors and they immediately performed a series of tests. The doctors have advised me that I should take a couple of days off and recuperate so that I am able to be 100 percent for the start of the Australian Open.

I hope to resume practice by the middle of the week."

A replacement for Federer has yet to be named.

German Tommy Haas also withdrew from the eight-man exhibition event on Monday, having failed to recover in time after recent shoulder surgery.

The former world number two, who still hopes to be fit for the Australian Open, will be replaced by Russian world number four Nikolay Davydenko in the Kooyong event

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Ego king is scared of getting his ass kicked by Ducky. ;)

Reactions: ~*BGT*~

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
What's with all these stomach viruses? It seems like everybody in tour is having one

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Wow, Federer and Haas withdrawing, although the latter is hardly surprising given that he recently had shoulder surgery. Hopefully Haas will be okay for the Australian Open. Federer will be fine anyway for the AO.

Davydenko is an excellent replacement, however and looking forward to seeing him play at Kooyong (on TV, that is).

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
What's with all these stomach viruses? It seems like everybody in tour is having one
The crap they sell for 'food' these days is getting worse by the day...

In 20 years we will all get sick from some unknown disease and that will be the end of civilization as we know it :devil:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Oh, my god.

I had a HEART ATTACK when I saw the title. I thought he was injured. A stomach virus - that seriously sucks - because you feel like hell, poor Roger. But in the 30 seconds it took for the threat to load (UGH!) I was imagining all kinds of horrors.

So THAT'S why nobody saw him practicing.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
My brother had it twice. The second time due to eating an undercooked burger. It only lasts for a day so I'm sure Federer will be fine by Monday.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,415 Posts
damn, Duck missed the chance to kick his ass again :(

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Davydenko poisonned him.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I'm sure Federer will be fine by Monday.
Fine physically...but anyone who has had a stomach virus knows, you never mentally recover.;)

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
It will take more than a stomach virus to prevent him from winning his 4th AO :devil: :)

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
Roger will be healthy again before next Monday :)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
damn, Duck missed the chance to kick his ass again :(
:lol:

He should be okay for the AO. Usually these things don't take that long.
Most probably caused by a rotten hamburger, :lol:.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
i love Roger but at the same time i think this is good because it means that the AO might be closer now. thought obviously i dont wish sickness on anyone, there is a silver lining

1 - 20 of 116 Posts