Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Completely agree on this one. No reason to have the tours different as he said, it’s too confusing for the fans and just don’t make sense.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
When Fred "comes up" with such an "idea" on twitter, I assume this is already finished business and he is trying to earn credit for it before it becomes official in the very near future.

·
Your visions will happen
49,223 Posts
When Fred "comes up" with such an "idea" on twitter, I assume this is already finished business and he is trying to earn credit for it before it becomes official in the very near future.
Yes, other thread has some receipts too

Djokovic was always in favor, Fed and Nadal against, very disappointed in Fedal

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The article paints a different picture. It's pretty clear the idea was around a couple decades ago, and Fed himself says it should have happed already, but sees now as a good opportunity to promote the idea.

Yes, other thread has some receipts too

Djokovic was always in favor, Fed and Nadal against, very disappointed in Fedal
Really? Do you recall when that was? I would like to look that up.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
Been discussed before 15 years ago, not gonna happen. It doesn't matter who proposes it. Major structural changes like this involve people voting themselves out of office. At most they can achieve 80 or 90% of tournaments play as combined events, as this is Gaudenzi's view of most profit.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been discussed before 15 years ago, not gonna happen. It doesn't matter who proposes it. Major structural changes like this involve people voting themselves out of office. At most they can achieve 80 or 90% of tournaments play as combined events, as this is Gaudenzi's view of most profit.
Why?

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
Every merger involves job cuts, specially at the top.
That's right. In a united entity, positions become redundant. You won't need two COOs, just one, and so on. Sure, they can remain in the united organization, but many would have to give up their high chair in favour of a lower one. Unless some financial problem prevents one of them from succeeding and merger becomes essential for survival, or there is a family or palm greesing arrangement, no sane company's board of directors would choose merger.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
This is strange. The WTA would likely be completely dominated by the ATP and have to feed on scraps falling from the table. If they've any sense they'll keep their own identity.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
It looks like Federer is trying to take credit for something that was not his idea and has been discussed for a while. I suggest reading Pospisil's latest tweet (and shade towards Federer).

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
It looks like Federer is trying to take credit for something that was not his idea and has been discussed for a while. I suggest reading Pospisil's latest tweet (and shade towards Federer).
Federer is a master of publicity. Nothing wrong with that. In the meantime, Djoker is shooting himself in the foot with his dodgy comments on vaccines. His wife is posting crazy 5g Corona virus links. You just can't make it up. It's hilarious.

·
Premium Member
20,671 Posts
Normally I would agree with you -- I understand your cynicism. But everything is different in this moment from every other year when changes big and small have been proposed.

A tennis season has been suspended; slams cancelled for the first time since WWII, the rankings have been frozen. Tournaments are thinking of moving around on the calendar. There's talk of reduced prize money next year, mandatory vaccinations, the AO played without fans, some tournaments going bankrupt... everything is up in the air.

Despite people claiming to want variety in life, most people reflexively oppose change. They fear it and/or don't like to be inconvenienced by learning new things and changing their routines. This is why it's so hard to change the status quo. I bet many players would prefer if big changes come after they've retired -- to not mess with their career and routines.

But now it looks like this pandemic and the suspension of the season will already cause great upheaval, whether anyone wants it or not. So it's a good time to put all options on the table and think about using this moment to make big changes that were previously opposed or endlessly put off.

If things could simply go on next year as normal -- profitable as ever for those in high places -- then it would be the same old, same old. But if that financial future is threatened, then all bets are off. The rich protect each other so long as it's safe to do so. But they will also turn on and eat each other if that's the only way to secure the bag.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then I'm surprised this was not publicized before (at least I'm not aware of that).

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Serena will probably beat Pospisil
Finally cant wait to see Men Vs Women draws
Only way Pospisil could actually win something, provided Serena is injured.

STFU and play fukin tennis!

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
Tje problem with a merger is prize money. Most wta eventss pay significantly less than atp events . 3ither the atp players are going yp have to accept drastic drops in prize money or they are going to have to find the money to raise the womens prize money to the same amount.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This makes no sense whatsoever. ATP/men's tennis always brings in more spectators and generates more revenue than the WTA. Much like Soccer, NBA, MLB, and NFL players earn 100x+ more money than women players in the same sport. Why should men's tennis be any different and merge with WTA?

The women players only want this because they know their league generates less revenue & their personal prize money is lower so they just want "equality". Equality my ass; if they crave for equality this much then AT LEAST have them play B05 matches in slams just like the men, so they know what's it like to consistently play 3, 4, 5 hour matches to get your big money's worth.

Geez, the number of people who don't understand the way this business works makes me go crazy sometimes. Federer, Nadal, and Murray just wanna be the "nice guys" and have good publicity, appearing like superheroes to save the women from "inequality". So sad it's come down to this...

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
maybe 15-20 years ago with Graf/Seles. Now? Won't happen. Only woman with any kind of a draw is Serena, and she'll lose a critical year. Won't happen. WTA actually does better as a separate tour.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts