Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

He ain't wrong.

He also said it's them getting better not 'us getting worse' (paraphrasing), but it's definitely both.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Nice to see some humble words

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Does Federer have a definition of "takeover?"

Does he mean Next Gen will win 3 grand slams (or at least 2), 5 Masters, and ATP Finals in 2020? If that happens, then I think it is a takeover.

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Does he mean Next Gen will win 3 grand slams (or at least 2), 5 Masters, and ATP Finals in 2020? If that happens, then I think it is a takeover.
Yeah if they win the majority of the slams and masters, they took over

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

Takeover means they get to the 2nd round of a GS more than 2 times.

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
Of course, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Thiem all leveled up after this year's Laver Cup. It is no surprise who is responsible and who is signaling the transition. The narrative has changed, but it still doesn't mean it's the end... ;) I believe the new kids on the block can take at least 2 of 4 majors next year, probably on hard courts. With last 2 Tour Finals in the bag, and 4 or 5 Masters1000 next year...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Federer is a broken man. He knows his time is over.

So of course he hopes the Next Gen will take over, so he somehow can prevent his records from being shattered.

But we all know what will happen next summer in Paris. Nadal will run up and down like a rabbit on the dirt and destroy any hope that tennis may be saved at the last moment.

Plenty of vodka will be needed in 2020. Trust me on this.

·
Premium Member
21,227 Posts
He's about to turn 39, Rafa and Novak are 34/33 and he's saying that might be the year? Wow, really going out on a limb there. :p

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Federer is a broken man. He knows his time is over.

So of course he hopes the Next Gen will take over, so he somehow can prevent his records from being shattered.

But we all know what will happen next summer in Paris. Nadal will run up and down like a rabbit on the dirt and destroy any hope that tennis may be saved at the last moment.

Plenty of vodka will be needed in 2020. Trust me on this.
We all just to pray someone can stop Dull from putting the finishing touches on his attempt to ruin this once beautiful sport by taking over the GS record because if Dull leads GOAT statistics, tennis is finished.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Yeah if they win the majority of the slams and masters, they took over
Do you think NextGen (+Thiem) will win more GS than Big3 in 2020? I still see Big3 taking 2-3 slams next year.

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think NextGen (+Thiem) will win more GS than Big3 in 2020? I still see Big3 taking 2-3 slams next year.
I do, yeah.

I see Novak at best win 1 (AO), Nadal could win 3 (AO/FO/USO) but he will more likely win 0 than 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win any tbh.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
I do, yeah.

I see Novak at best win 1 (AO), Nadal could win 3 (AO/FO/USO) but he will more likely win 0 than 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win any tbh.
We'll see. At the end of last year a lot have been talked about how Zverev and Khachanov could make an impact at slams in 2019. Obviously now the group is stronger (with Thiem getting much better on HC, Medved and Tsitsi having breakthrough seasons) but Big3 guys will be tough to unseat. I still see Djoko with at least 1 slam, Nadal with 1 slam plus some chance for #21 for Fed.

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zverev: 'I think next year will bring a new Grand Slam champion. We'll see who that will be'

Tsitsipas: 'I'm really close on being crowned Grand Slam champion'

Thiem: 'I'm pretty sure that we're going to see a new a young Grand Slam champion next year'

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not yet, Nadal and Djoker still keep the top 2 seeds. It will be very hard to beat them back-to-back.
It's not a guarantee they will have to be beaten B2B at all.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The change of guard has to happen at some point, so why not next year? Margins are very slim and if NextGen steps up 7,25% and Big 3 decline 4,17% that may settle it.

It is quite tough to predict when an ATG will win his last Slam and recency bias tends to be overtly optimistic for recent winners.

Examples of early Slam winning exits that no tennis experts predicted:
Bjorn Borg FO 1981 - at age 25 and on top of the world.
John McEnroe USO 1984 - at age 25 and on top of the world.
Mats Wilander USO 1988 - at age 24 and on top of the world.

Oldest GS winners in Open Era top 9:
9. John Newcombe - age 30.
8. Jimmy Connors - 31.
7. Pete Sampras - 31.
6. Rod Laver - 31.
5. Arthus Ashe - 31.
4. Andre Agassi - 32.
3. Andres Gimeno - 34 (1972 a very different era).
2. Roger Federer - 35.
1. Ken Rosewall - 37 (1972 as above).

Big 3 aged 32, 33, 38 at AO - statistics say it cannot go one forever. 2020 will be exciting stuff!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts