Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of MTF knows that Federer is a Shadow of his 2017 self, maybe minus the serve and few flashy forehands and backhands.

BUT when you look at him on paper it has been a "Good Year"

Australian Open: W
Rotterdam: W
Indian Wells: F
Miami: R2
Stuggart: W
Halle: F
Wimbledon: QF
Cincinnati: F

I don't know why but this has helped me conceptualize the TRUE level of the tour, when "The Old Man" looks this good on paper, but in reality has been playing close to his 2016 level at times. I won't ignore that he has had some good matches, but overall we all know his true level.

What do you think MTF? Years past Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have had similar records on paper, but they were truly and utterly dominating, playing at a level (as Robbie Koenig would say), "Nearer the GODS"

Now we have Federer with a similar record, but for the first time really playing like an "Old man"

What do you think MTF? Discuss

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Get your facts straight. He didn't win IW and lost in R2 of Miami. He won only 1 big title this year (AO but it was 7 months ago) and even there his level was clearly below 2017.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
How embarrassing. This Fedtard doesn't even know what Federer did at the tourneys he participated in and yet he talks about how well he played? :facepalm:

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get your facts straight. He didn't win IW and lost in R2 of Miami. He won only 1 big title this year (AO but it was 7 months ago) and even there his level was clearly below 2017.
How embarrassing. This Fedtard doesn't even know what Federer did at the tourneys he participated in and yet he talks about how well he played? :facepalm:
Honest mistake. Doing two things at once can make you look like a clueless idiot :facpalm: . I am a better man than this :boxing:

Even with these corrections, on paper things don't look that bad if you showed his record to any fair weather fan :shrug:

Also @Boss . I have been cheering more for Djokovic this year than any other player. Watching Djokovic come back from the brink has been a true pleasure and joy; would you disagree?

·
Registered
57,600 Posts
Because every top player in 2018 is a shadow of themselves. The only exceptions are Zverev and Anderson, and to be totally honest I think Zverev was better last year. Even Thiem, who doesn't really have an age or injury excuse, is playing his worst tennis in years.

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who says he's playing 60%? Is that just an assumption?
Of course it is an assumption, but it's an assumption based on a comparison to 2017.

If we consider 2017, 100% than his level in 2018 has clearly been below that. I would argue that he is playing at 60% or 70% capacity in comparison to last year.

You could fudge the playing percentage to be between 60% and 70%, but I feel most of MTF would agree with me that he is playing at 60%-70% of what he was doing last year.

Would you disagree?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Who says he's playing 60%? Is that just an assumption?
Of course it is an assumption, but it's an assumption based on a comparison to 2017.

If we consider 2017, 100% than his level in 2018 has clearly been below that. I would argue that he is playing at 60% or 70% capacity in comparison to last year.

You could fudge the playing percentage to be between 60% and 70%, but I feel most of MTF would agree with me that he is playing at 60%-70% of what he was doing last year.

Would you disagree?
Off the top of my head, yes maybe he is at around there from his (early) 2017 level, but that should be possibly edited to the title...? 60% from what... this post clarifies it. But 60% based on last year's level could be 90% (or something like that) of the potential level going forward. We'll get more info from next tournaments. Well, I'd think the Cincinnati F was a low even for his current level, but what is actually the base level going forward... next piece to this riddle will be USO.

edit. As to the question. Yes, he has already a successful year in actuality/on paper. Thing is, 2017 AO was super legit, but AO 2018 wasn't as much; in the same category as Rafa's USO 2017. The field was depleted from somewhere after Wimbledon 2017 to somewhere around clay season, maybe even up until Wimbledon 2018 (clay field a bit depleted at the moment and Tour much more about HC; I feel Djok wasn't quite as far as he could've been; Goffin wasn't at full health; Stan and Andy out; it's mainly Rafa, Thiem and Zverev to some extent).

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
The funny thing is for me winning the the AO open at 36 is already a successful year. Everything after was/is an instant bonus. Another two slam year would be complete bonkers for me. In a good way though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's a very good point.

Federer is the best 36 year old to have ever played the sport, even with these results.

He was lucky as all the top players were injured and only Nadal could threaten him, but he still deserves credit because of the manner he took a dump on the rest of the tour at his advanced age.

I believe one factor to consider is today, all players are taught the same style of play, which is power tennis with endurance, thanks to the racket technology, which is forgiving to the obligation of centering perfectly the ball.

It starts at 7-8 years old and carries on with the juniors.

The period of learning your craft is during these critical years: you cannot change much after 17-18 years.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Going deep in his tourneys is more a function of his seeding and draw, not how well he's actually played this year. Federer is nowhere close to his 2017 level.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts