Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Re: Federer to decide whether he will play on clay

I say yes to that. Would be entertaining from a spectator's POV, plus it might help the man maintain rhythm/form. A few tournaments here and there, no Dom Thiem affair.

·
justice for all
13,148 Posts

I say yes to that. Would be entertaining from a spectator's POV, plus it might help the man maintain rhythm/form. A few tournaments here and there, no Dom Thiem affair.
Not sure about that. I'm a big Roger fan but one must wonder what his level on clay would be after 4 years break. I might not be so spectacular after all.

Domi would most probably crush Roger should they meet.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

well at 37 he will likely carry on the part time schedule, which would make sense to me. If he chooses to play clay, I would actually be happier for that, because I want him to challenge himself on his worst surface at the end of his his career to see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts

"I've got already some idea" - this signals that he'll probably play (i.e. RG + one WU event).

·
Registered
3,216 Posts

"... no."

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

He should play Madrid and RG. I have zero expectations that he'd make a dent, but it is just too strange to see a Top 5 player take an entire segment of the season off every year. It clearly worked for him in 2017, but in 2018 he lost his timing and only started getting some rhythm back very late in the year.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

shockers like this keep him in the MTF Federista newsloop

but please, do it

·
Registered
7,624 Posts

Nobody is buying it anymore. But obviously makes sense from his point to act like he is still thinking about it. Otherwise it would be obvious that he is skipping it to gain a competitive advantage on grass, because he can't know already that will be tired after IW/Miami.

·
Banned
295 Posts

He hasn't played in the last year or two so I would be surprised to see this happen come April/May

Probably best to skip it again and focus on hard courts, grass and hardcourts again next season.

·
Registered
279 Posts

I'd be happy either way, but I'd love to see him try the French Open one more time. There would be no shame in bowing out, as few Greats have even played the French Open aged 35+, and 3rd round has been the best FO finish for players aged 35+ in the Open Era. I think he can do better than this, so worth a try.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

He's obviously regretting not playing clay recently, where he could have vultured several trophies in a tragic clay era. Not to mention heaping embarrassment on his pigeon Nadal, who cannot even take a set off the old man on every other surface.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

He has to play clay in 2019. Ducking clay two years in a row was a bad look for his legacy, it showed a lack of confidence and problem solving ability. Even Sampras kept on trying and he was nowhere near as accomplished on clay as Roger.

If Fed skips clay again it's a sign of weakness, lack of bravery and without question, a blemish on his legacy as an all time great champion. To throw in the towel on clay and surrender to Rafa is not an action that any true champion would do.

Play on Masters 1000 and give it a shot at Roland Garros.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts

Well you must make this decision now to decide the meso cycle for the entire season. If skipping clay again, then we can go hard January through Miami. Maybe pick up a Rotterdam. Then skip clay, go heavy grass, then manage the hard court till the end.

But if he plays clay, then now maybe Rotterdam is out unless he loses early in AO. Miami probably gone too. Then the question is, Madrid and RG? Or Rome and RG? I'd like to see him play MC-Rome-RG if he is actually looking to compete on clay and not just try to vulture Madrid at altitude. Then do only Halle and Wimbledon on grass.

I'd like to see:

AO warm up
AO
(Rotterdam only if early loss in AO)
Indian Wells
Monte Carlo or Miami
Rome
RG
(Stuttgart only if early RG loss)
Halle
Wimbledon
(Canada only if early Wimbledon loss)
Cincy
USO
Shanghai
Basel
Paris
WTF

·
Registered
3,515 Posts

He has to play clay in 2019. Ducking clay two years in a row was a bad look for his legacy, it showed a lack of confidence and problem solving ability. Even Sampras kept on trying and he was nowhere near as accomplished on clay as Roger.

If Fed skips clay again it's a sign of weakness, lack of bravery and without question, a blemish on his legacy as an all time great champion. To throw in the towel on clay and surrender to Rafa is not an action that any true champion would do.
Federer skipped clay at the age of 35–36; Sampras was long retired at that age.

If he skips clay again next season, at the age of 37, it won't in any way be a "blemish on his legacy as an all time great champion". A player who has won 20 slams and reached five French Open finals in six years, losing four of them to the greatest clay-court player in history, does not need to play on clay anymore to protect his legacy.

He may decide to play on clay next season, not for the sake of his legacy, but as part of a fitting farewell to the tour.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

Fed should have the courage and the confidence to keep trying to overcome Rafa on clay. Why can't he try to solve that puzzle? Why give up? Why is it beyond his limits to solve Rafa on clay?

Nothing is beyond Rafa or Djokovic's limits, they keep trying for every title on every surface. They show no sign of weakness like Federer does. Give it your best shot and anything can happen if you adapt and believe.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts