Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer on Nike: "I just feel like we have some awful tennis-looking outfits sometim"

“To be quite honest, I just feel like we have some awful tennis-looking outfits sometimes,” he said.

“They’ve just gone too far in the wrong direction.

“They want to make it look too much like a modern tennis shirt that is completely wrong, in terms of designs.

“Like a truck drove over it — or they’re just going to come up with funky graphics, which I think in a sport of tennis, that has such a rich history…you know, the tennis polo is very iconic.

“I feel like if we work on that, to redesign that, which looks nice and crisp and new and fresh, that’s really important to me.

“I’ve really just tried to elevate the style, the level of that in tennis and hope that resonates also with the new generation coming through.

“I really hope to go to do press conferences like this now.

“Because I don’t have to wear tracksuits anymore. I don’t have to wear all these things.

“It’s nice to finally look good sometimes, you know?”

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/1108757/Roger-Federer-RF-deal-Nike-Uniqlo

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Re: Federer on Nike: "I just feel like we have some awful tennis-looking outfits some

I agree that Nike has gone off the deep end but I’m not a big fan of his plain looking Uniqlo outfits that have no personality either. He was wearing all white in some matches at IW, that was awful.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: Federer on Nike: "I just feel like we have some awful tennis-looking outfits some

Honestly so much of Nike's tennis stuff does look awful. Also every player should have minimum two different outfits so two players going up against each other can't wear identical clothing. Higher ranked player gets first choice, idc.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts

I don't like Nike nor do I like Uniqlo.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

Even if true, you don't diss like that a brand that fed you millions of dollars for years. Especially if it's just about personal taste.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I like the current Nike shirt with the black and white checks and colored stripes which FAA and others wear. Which Nike outfits are awful?

I think Adidas has the best tennis clothes, and FILA by far the worst!

UNIQLO is pretty boring but some of the light colors are really pretty, like the pale mint green Fed wore at Miami. For some reason Nishikori's UNIQLO outfits always look bad, in part because he has like 50 different sponsors littering his shirt and pants. OT, but I read that a company in Japan has the rights to his name so in Japan whenever they say his name they must also say the name of some company.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I like the current Nike shirt with the black and white checks and colored stripes which FAA and others wear. Which Nike outfits are awful?

I think Adidas has the best tennis clothes, and FILA by far the worst!

UNIQLO is pretty boring but some of the light colors are really pretty, like the pale mint green Fed wore at Miami. For some reason Nishikori's UNIQLO outfits always look bad, in part because he has like 50 different sponsors littering his shirt and pants. OT, but I read that a company in Japan has the rights to his name so in Japan whenever they say his name they must also say the name of some company.
The zebra outfits Thiem and Zverev wore some time back were literally and metaphorically a mishit by Adidas, one of the worst outfits I ever laid eyes upon.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Nike outfits post 2010 really were terrible.
I like the Uniqlo outfits so far. Minimalist and timeless, they will age better.
i would buy some if he gets the RF logo back.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

I agree with him, though I do like some of the newer nike stuff that has a throwback to the 80s/90s. I hate all the funky graphics with gradients and random lines and stuff with a passion. Best shirts are 99% of the time a simple color with contrasting accents on sleeves/logos/collar etc, maybe one or two stripes and maybe patterns.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

If you read the article, Roger's criticism isn't explicitly directed at Nike but at tennis clothing in general. And he's spot on as usual. Some of the bolder outfits nowadays are just eyesores, whereas I really appreciate Federer's more conservative polos. The big clothing lines are too focused on making a statement and trying to grab attention instead of just making their players look good.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

i would buy some if he gets the RF logo back.
Funny you say that, for some reason I would always prefer buying the non-RF branded version of his styles (which used to be available some of the time until about 2012 I think). Just felt it would be weird to walk around in clothing "made for someone else". Which is kinda weird cause I don't feel that way about Bjorn Borg for instance.

·
Registered
956 Posts

I always thought Uniqlo served up some good outfits for Djokovic. Why are they serving up crap for Federer?

Djokovic's kit's from AO 2016 to Wimbledon 2016 were good to look at. It might also be him build, he's very slim and so they style suits him.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

I really don't get it. Tennis is an individual sport, however the shirts are all the same. In team sports every team has its own unique style and colors, so why not in tennis aswell?

That would be so much cooler. And it would be also easier for the fans to recognize the player and their "brands".

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

I don’t think so. Some of federer‘s late Nike outfits looked really cool. Of course there were misses as well but it’s not as bad as described.
I liked 2016 AO, 2015 Cincinnati and 2014 shanghai. Those are the outfits I’d buy for myself. To a lesser extend I also liked 2015 USO and 2016 Halle. His last nice Nike kit was 2017 Indian Wells

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
If you read the article, Roger's criticism isn't explicitly directed at Nike but at tennis clothing in general. And he's spot on as usual. Some of the bolder outfits nowadays are just eyesores, whereas I really appreciate Federer's more conservative polos. The big clothing lines are too focused on making a statement and trying to grab attention instead of just making their players look good.
Thanks. Once again great post. I think there has been some hit and misses.

I guess Federer will not miss his tennis kit after tennis then. :smile2:

·
Registered
103 Posts

Even if true, you don't diss like that a brand that fed you millions of dollars for years. Especially if it's just about personal taste.
Hope you are kidding. He made more money for NIKE than NIKE paid to him. Much, much, much more (that's kind of obvious, of course, but yeah). When it's that caliber of a player, it's really them who do the favor, and not the other way around.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

Nike used to be so good. Glad someone is actually speaking the truth on this matter. Some of his outfits looked terrible, especially the vertical stripe on the back.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

I don’t think so. Some of federer‘s late Nike outfits looked really cool. Of course there were misses as well but it’s not as bad as described.
I liked 2016 AO, 2015 Cincinnati and 2014 shanghai. Those are the outfits I’d buy for myself. To a lesser extend I also liked 2015 USO and 2016 Halle. His last nice Nike kit was 2017 Indian Wells
Coincidentally the last time the neo backhand made an appearance :crying:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts