Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roger Federer was impressed with both Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal during their ATP Cup battle. World No 2 Djokovic toppled his Spanish rival 6-2, 7-6(4) as Serbia won the inaugural tournament in Sydney.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/1227615/Roger-Federer-retirement-thoughts-Australian-Open

Federer opted against competing at the ATP Cup and Switzerland were consequently pulled out of the tournament.
The 38-year-old cited he wanted to spend more time with his family so did not participate at any events prior to the Australian Open.

When he makes his return in Melbourne he will face a fierce battle with Nadal and Djokovic for the first Grand Slam of the season.

But Federer does not think he should be considered a front runner for the title.

"I'm aware that at 38 I shouldn't be the favourite, it should be someone probably in their 20s, but the three of us have been able to stay as the favourites which is great for us," Federer said.

Roger Federer

Roger Federer watched Novak Djokovic beat Rafael Nadal (Image: GETTY)
"Both guys are already showing great signs. I was watching a little bit of their ATP Cup match and thought that was a great match.
“Both guys, injury free, are always tough to beat."
Federer kept himself busy in the off-season as he toured South America alongside young prodigy Alexander Zverev.
The pair played four matches across the region which included setting world record for the most amount of spectators at a tennis match in Mexico.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/ten...derer-Rafael-Nadal-Australian-Open-prediction
More recently, the 20-time Grand Slam winner has enjoyed some downtime in Dubai with his family.
But he arrived in Melbourne over the weekend raring to go and fight for his 21st major title.
"I'm aware that at 38 I shouldn't be the favourite," Federer said.
"I've trained long and hard in the off-season and I didn't have any setbacks, which is crucial,
" Federer said at a promotional event in Melbourne.

Roger Federer

Roger Federer is hunting a 21st career Grand Slam at the Australian Open (Image: GETTY)

"Last week I was asking myself 'am I happy to go to Australia? Or should I just stay here and stop packing immediately? Because I can.
"I could easily just stay home and I was like, 'no, no, I'm really happy to go to Melbourne and kick off the season there'.

"I have kept myself in good shape, obviously I had an amazing team around me."

Honestly the fact that Federer is still hungry and forcing himself to train a head of time is admirable. I really wonder how much longer he is going to want to do this though? In the end your family should always be greater then a legacy and right now his kids are nine and five years old respectively. I think its great that part of him just wants to become Daderer and hang up the racquet. He could help the kids with homework , help pack their lunches and do controlled playing so he doesn't hurt his back. He wants to spend time with his family , he is not the wiley 25 year old long haired Federer anymore, but a dad with four kids. Imagine the outcry that his kids have when they have to go everywhere. I'm pretty certain his five year olds are not interested in a five hour competition with Djokovic, but want to hang out with their friends and run around. It's easy enough to hire the best nanny in the world, but for those on MTF who have kids , you must attest and or relate to Federer's struggle a little bit?

I wonder how much external pressure he has to stick around in comparison to internal pressure? For example is Tony Godsick whispering all these multi-million dollar deals in his ear, or is it the media telling him Nadal is only one away, or is it Luthi and Lubjcic telling him he as at least two more slams and a Gold Medal in him? Or is it Federer internally yelling about missed match points or screaming about Nadal probably breaking records in 2020, or Federer's just continued love for tennis?

I think this point in time is fascinating for Federer. As he is on the cusp of so many things. He can still challenge for all slams (minus RG) and Master titles, 38 year old Federer is better than 90% of twenty somethings. At the same time it must be really hard to have four kids who you want to hang out with and see them grow up. I wonder if it is not the body that is going to force him out of the game, but his family.

Sorry for the rambling , run on sentences... but what do you think MTF.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I think the early decision to bring the whole family with him for most of the season was huge. Federer fans should be eternally grateful to Mirka for making the tour an enjoyable experience for Roger, rather than a lonely agony. The emotional equilibrium of his family life has made possible his longevity.

I'm sure schooling is a big headache, and that Roger would love for his kids to attend a nice Swiss primary school. The girls will have already missed a couple of years of conventional schooling, but the boys could still have the full, sedentary traditional Swiss primary school experience. My guess is that this desire might precipitate his retirement, when the time comes.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Mirka won't let him stop, she needs things.

Fed has enough money to bring a whole primary school along with him on tour for the kids.

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
I think the early decision to bring the whole family with him for most of the season was huge. Federer fans should be eternally grateful to Mirka for making the tour an enjoyable experience for Roger, rather than a lonely agony. The emotional equilibrium of his family life has made possible his longevity.

I'm sure schooling is a big headache, and that Roger would love for his kids to attend a nice Swiss primary school. The girls will have already missed a couple of years of conventional schooling, but the boys could still have the full, sedentary traditional Swiss primary school experience. My guess is that this desire might precipitate his retirement, when the time comes.
The girls are 10, will be 11 this year, The secondary starts at 12 in Switzerland, probably will have a more normal school since then.This could be the last year of the kids in the tour, Federer could play this year and maybe a retirement in 2021.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Interesting question. I don't see much point to Federer playing much beyond this year.

Records he is up for this year are Connor's match wins, the slam match wins on grass, (needs 6), and Connor's time in the top 100, (would get it by February of 2021. To play through 2021, he'd be chasing Connor's titles (at 109). That's about it.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
He also has shots at Rosewall's oldest slam titlelist, again this year. It's really up to Federer whether he wants to reach for some of the more ridiculous records (slam finalist at 41 for Rosewall), and world number 2. Federer as good as he is, even those are pretty ridiculous achievements. Nobody's even come within the same ballpark, save Federer right now, and even then he's three years shy. Absolutely bonkers. Rosewall says that Fed could do it, I'm not so sure.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Your visions will happen
51,005 Posts
Just need to take it one year at a time at this point. The fact that the thought even crosses his mind to stop packing and don't get on a long flight to Australia before he remembers who he is lets me further know he is closer to retirement than ever, as if that was not already obvious. So we see. Roger surely wants to keep his records long enough for the next generation to stop Rafole. Which means Roger must play at least 1 more season

·
Premium Member
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no way the above would be more interesting to him than what he's doing now.
There is different between interesting and innate father feelings.

Winning a grand slam is the pinnacle of tennis sporting as is hitting a ridiculous backhand down the line winner in the 2020 AO QF... but there is also the sense of him being a dad and trying to manage that as well. You want to be there for there for your kids and help them out. Of course Federer could buy this and that , but nothing replaces one on one time with family.

And I'm sure he is realizing that more day by day. I bet it's actually a nice reprieve explaining multiplication to his daughter's instead of the stress of being too breaks down in the fourth set....

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Federers career has ended at Wimbledon 2019. He just hasn't realised it yet.

Just let it go, man. You deserve it. Nothing to prove anymore.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Sure, Fed is near retirement not because he's 38 and won big fat ZERO in 2019 but because he's just found his fatherly instinct ten fukin years after daughters were born.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts