Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer on Tsitsipas saving break points: “Spinning a second serve into the body and getting an error...I’m not sure that’s mental toughness.”

He's right, he messed up about 4 BP's himself, but Stef still took care of the rest and pounced when he could.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Federer on Tsitsipas saving break points: “Spinning a second serve into the body and getting an error...I’m not sure that’s mental toughness.”

He's right, he messed up about 4 BP's himself, but Stef still took care of the rest and pounced when he could.
Was that a physical toughness then?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Federer always bitter when he lost...

·
King Of Tennis
2,527 Posts
Typical, pressed Fraud. I remember his similar salty comments after King came back from Fed serving for the match and being up 40-15 on his serve at the US Open semifinal in 2011. Then eight years later the same shit happens again in the Wimbledon final. ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As much as I respect Fred - this is a bullshit statement, he is bitter like a 20 year old rookie, who lost in a 2nd round of a Slam. Spinning a second serve into the body and getting an error on a breakpoint is exactly a mental toughness, saving 11/12 breakpoints is a mental toughness, doesn't matter how achieved. And as much as I dislike Tsitsipas - I have to admit that he showed balls of steel on those BPs. Making a doublefault on breakpoint is not a mental toughness, serving to the body is.

·
justice for all
14,489 Posts
Buda back at it again: being petty, nitpicking and taking Fed's words out of context, right. Here is the whole fragment of what Roger said:
"Spinning it (the ball) into the body and then getting an error, I don’t know if that’s, like, mental toughness. Sure, he didn’t double fault, he didn’t do anything silly, and he’s tough as nails.’ I’m frustrated that I couldn’t play better, and when I did and fought my way back, I threw it away again.”

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
As much as I respect Fred - this is a bullshit statement, he is bitter like a 20 year old rookie, who lost in a 2nd round of a Slam. Spinning a second serve into the body and getting an error on a breakpoint is exactly a mental toughness, saving 11/12 breakpoints is a mental toughness, doesn't matter how achieved. And as much as I dislike Tsitsipas - I have to admit that he showed balls of steel on those BPs. Making a doublefault on breakpoint is not a mental toughness, serving to the body is.
Such a "gentleman." ?
True goats didn´t used to lose....

·
King Of Tennis
2,527 Posts
Buda back at it again: being petty, nitpicking and taking Fed's words out of context, right. Here is the whole fragment of what Roger said:
"Spinning it (the ball) into the body and then getting an error, I don’t know if that’s, like, mental toughness. Sure, he didn’t double fault, he didn’t do anything silly, and he’s tough as nails.’ I’m frustrated that I couldn’t play better, and when I did and fought my way back, I threw it away again.”
All I see is more Fraud.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Good post! I think that is very accurate by Fed. Right after the match he is frustrated that he didn’t play well - he was fighting but just didn’t have it. I think he knows that he missed many opportunities that let Stef off the hook, but he also gave credit to Stef for not making mistakes and being tough. I don’t see any issue here - just a little honesty. Good to see he still has the fire.

·
Registered
990 Posts
It isn't though is it? If the same thing happened in say a Dzumhur-Garin match for instance nobody would mention mental toughness.

Perhaps he should bother about his own mentality first though, it is true that those serves + poor returns weren't mental toughness from Tsitsipas, but they were mental fragility from Federer himself.

I'm not sure what the problem is here, unless it's a Kyrgios/Bublik-type or an inch perfect Federer kicker that comes in then doing nothing with a 2nd serve is always the fault of the returner, the only thing the server's done is not DF.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts

I think we can all imagine what would happen if Djokovic and Nadal had said this; there would be 3 threads in the ruins and 2 in GM already lol.

Having said that, I get what he's saying to some extent but of course, many, many times guys have failed to do precisely what Stef did. Reducing all those break points saved to a spinny serve is a disservice; Stef came in and played inside the baseline literally twice as often on break points as shown in a graphic during the match. That's the opposite of what Roger did quite often and Federer could just as easily have highlighted that aspect.

In fact, we can even say that if Stef spun a serve in on a pressure point, it was quite intelligent because he also occasionally forced the nervy and tougher bad decision on Fed himself with such a serve coupled with the rest of his gutsy play and had Fed coming and going.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
"Nail toughness" it was. We've got another toughness now, between mental toughness and physical toughness.

"Could be worse, could be Final."

·
Your visions will happen
48,155 Posts
So salty as usual from Fed when he loses.

Just more salt imo. PR bot kicked in just in time at the end

·
Registered
245 Posts
Never in doubt why he's impossible to like- there is no reason for him to run his mouth about Stefanos, and yet... there he is, exposing himself as the old, bitter bitch he's always been. Most ungracious loser the Tour has ever seen. Go home to Switzerland and shut up. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts